Minford 60 Northwest 7

Kenraken Ahta
JV Team

Minford 60 Northwest 7

Post by Kenraken Ahta »

The good news for NW is they are not Wheelersburg........the bad news for NW is........they are a Minford football team coming off a tough upset loss at Portsmouth West! Look for the Falcons to bounce back and make a "statement" on their home turf on Friday night! Don't think the Falcons are "56-0" good but they will be good enough to get the win. Hoping for an injury free game for both squads!

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Re: McDermott Northwest @ Minford

Post by BigBlueNation »

The falcons will roll in this one by as much as they want.

noles_fan
S

Post by noles_fan »

Falcons play a statement game win big. The burg game couldve been a lot worse than it was.

courier
All Conference

Post by courier »

I don't think beating NW would be considered a statement game...JMO I would find it more shocking if they didn't win by 4 tds

noles_fan
S

Post by noles_fan »

Not a statement as in, oh we beat Northwest. A statement as in we are not going to fold up the tents and our season is not over.

courier
All Conference

Post by courier »

I understand what you meant...I just don't think you can make that sort of statement against a team you should beat by at least 4 scores....jmo though...not trying to argue w/you

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Northwest tried everything they could to slow the Burg game down. They waited until the back judge raised his had on every down before they hiked the ball and still got beat 56-0. The offense they run is the strangest I have seen in a long time. Reminds me of something you may have seen in the 50's or 60's. Not very effective at all. Minford should win this one easily.

Tower
JV Team

Post by Tower »

Northwest had good game plan for slowing it down. It helped keeping burg dline in stance that long. Unfortunately, burg caught onand waited till QB got under center. Northwest should do better against Minford, not saying they will win. Just saying, with burg's passing/speed and hurry up offense NW was not going to stay with them. More designed for ground game. Love to see the Mohawks get out of that bunch formation occassionally and spread it out and throw. Their QB has pretty good arm but in that formation you can't get anybody out.

28Buck
Freshman Team

Post by 28Buck »

Minford just needs to come out do their thing and head home with a victory. This week should be the week to work on things and get the younger guys reps. Come out of this injury free and with a victory.

The Oaf
SEO

Post by The Oaf »

Doesn't matter what the score is. 40-0, 50-0, 60-0.....just get back to Muletown healthy

mglight88
SE

Post by mglight88 »

It will be also Homecoming night for the Falcons, so look for Minford to strike fast and early against the Mohawks.

West Side Pride
All Conference

Post by West Side Pride »

Good luck BOO, lucky number 7......

marshallman
Varsity

Post by marshallman »

I'm sure Minford will be angry and some starters will be challenged by the coaches after that nightmare against West. Hope for an injury free night for both teams and reserves getting some time on the field. Minford will win big this week.

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/p ... ball_N.htm

Above is a good article from USA Today on the Wing-T offense. There are also some good videos in there as well.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Vladimir wrote:http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/p ... ball_N.htm

Above is a good article from USA Today on the Wing-T offense. There are also some good videos in there as well.
Northwest's formation looks nothing like that. There is no spacing between linmen and only one back with the QB. VERY compact and not much room anywhere. I guess you would call it some kind of a double wing, but not a T. You will see this week...

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

Yeah, Northwest is running a wedge offense. That was for more of the pundits who think the wing-T is unimaginative and predictable. I think when ran correctly, it's one of the most difficult offenses to stop due to the deception of the fakes. I also noticed where the University of Notre Dame was running it this weekend.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Watching some of the ND-Northwest game from a few weeks ago, it looked like NW was running a version of what we called the Veer. It is basically a foot to foot version of the Air Force offense with the inward facing wings and lots of loop motion.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

The wing-t can be very effective, but you need the right personnel (just like with any offense). The problem is that most teams in our area aren't deep enough to be really good at running something like the wing-t and also to be able to have a good passing game in case they run up against someone who can stop the run.

I found it somewhat amusing last week when there were comments like "why pass if you have a great line" and "Minford has many weapons they haven't used yet". The bottom line is that Minford is a running team with a big experienced line and that is what they do best. If they had a lot of passing plays, they would have been using some of it the first 5 weeks. You don't just transform into a passing team when SOC play starts. The same can be said for Burg, we are a passing team and I don't see us turning into a running team once we get to the last 3 games of the season. There may be some wrinkles in our passing game that haven't been used too much yet, but we are what we are...

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

I agree Minford is primarily a run team and they do run the ball most of the time, but they can pass when needed to keep defense honest. There are many pass plays out of the wing-t, so jumping into the gun/ spread formation when you want to throw the ball isn't always necessary. I've had other coaches from opposing teams say to me, "You can always tell when Minford wants to pass, b/c they get into the spread/ gun."

The Clark kid at WR, is one weapon, who didn't see the ball very much until the West game where he had 5 catches for 116 yards. Anytime you have a WR/TE with over 100 yards receiving, he is a weapon the defense will have to pay attention to. There are a few other Jr's and Sophs that have the potential to be great athletes but need to step up and this may be the week they do just that.

philbilly
Freshman Team

Post by philbilly »

Northwest is doing what a team with size, power, and no speed has to do. They try to turn the game into a rugby match. They moved the ball against burg. The problem was their drives in the first half kept ending with a turnover, one resulting in a defensive td.

Return to “Football”