Week 12 Region 9: #1 Athens vs. #4 Tri-Valley

questionmark
All Conference

Re: Week 12 Region 9: #1 Athens vs. #4 Tri-Valley

Post by questionmark »

I will respectively disagree with you Pol Pot without trying to cause a fight...

The 2001-2003 Athens Bulldogs and the 2012-2014 Athens Bulldogs are not the same, we can agree on that...

But I played beside Grant in those days, and we played in argulably the toughess SEOAL periods of the League...
Logan, Jackson, Gallia Academy, Marietta, Point Pleasant and Athens all had really good football programs at one time...

You put the 2001-2003 Athens teams in the TVC during 2012-2014 and you would see a Major Difference in Wins/Losses on the Resume...Grant's teams were 8-1 against the TVC.
You put the 2012-2014 Athens teams in the SEOAL during 2001-2003 and I don't think we would have the dominance we have had over the past few years...

I have always said this is a hard to debate because it was a different ERA of football...different Leagues, different styles...

The 2001-2003 Champlin Coached Bulldogs did not run this score-as-many-points style Offense the Dogs run today. Had we, Gregory and his crews numbers would be very similar to that of Burrow and his crew...

But that is enought about the past...

GO BULLDOGS!
BACK to LOGAN CHIEFTAN FIELD to take on MARION-FRANKLIN...
Try to Go 2-0 in Purpleland!

OneHitWonder
Riding the Bench

Post by OneHitWonder »

questionmark wrote:I will respectively disagree with you Pol Pot without trying to cause a fight...

The 2001-2003 Athens Bulldogs and the 2012-2014 Athens Bulldogs are not the same, we can agree on that...

But I played beside Grant in those days, and we played in argulably the toughess SEOAL periods of the League...
Logan, Jackson, Gallia Academy, Marietta, Point Pleasant and Athens all had really good football programs at one time...

You put the 2001-2003 Athens teams in the TVC during 2012-2014 and you would see a Major Difference in Wins/Losses on the Resume...Grant's teams were 8-1 against the TVC.
You put the 2012-2014 Athens teams in the SEOAL during 2001-2003 and I don't think we would have the dominance we have had over the past few years...

I have always said this is a hard to debate because it was a different ERA of football...different Leagues, different styles...

The 2001-2003 Champlin Coached Bulldogs did not run this score-as-many-points style Offense the Dogs run today. Had we, Gregory and his crews numbers would be very similar to that of Burrow and his crew...

GO BULLDOGS!
What WILLLLL.... you Talk About........

The Oaf
SEO

Post by The Oaf »

You mean palidummy hasn't surfaced yet and spewed through his blowhole a congratulations to the young men of Athens? What a class act that guy is! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

He is not man enough or mature enough to give any SEO teams any credit even when it is due. He will wait until someone knocks them off and then play the I told you so card like every other year.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

questionmark wrote:I will respectively disagree with you Pol Pot without trying to cause a fight...

GO BULLDOGS!

So your team v. This team, one game, who wins? And why?

questionmark
All Conference

Post by questionmark »

Haha, Pol Pot...I was waiting for that. Me and 93Dog have tried to answer that question...

Skill Players I believe it is a wash...both teams were highly skilled in the flyboy department...
QB's
Grant and Joey were/are great Signal Callers who both could/can throw the accurate deep ball and could/can scramble to keep plays alive.
RB's
The Chris Duo (Hewitt & Pitts) were a great one two punch just like Trae and Dakota. The Agile quick backs wore #2 and Pitts & McFee are bigger-type backs...
WR's
Ryan Mingus, Jeremy Sebring and Corey Champlin were all three outstanding recievers. Aaron Ransom and Robert Hughes were good blocking/receiving TE's.
Ryan & Adam Luehrman, Heath Wisemen and Sam Vander Ven have all been reliable WR's this season who rarely drop the ball...

OL/DL
This is where I think a slight edge can go toward the 2001-03 squad.
The Oline and Dline mostly played both ways, had great size across the board. Coach Champlin always had a well condition team.
Some players that stood out were Brock CLonch and Peter Kerber. They both played Tackles and Defensive Tackles and both had great Athens Careers. Another, and I know he was one of 93's favorite players was Aaron Ransom. He was 6'3'' and around 240 pounds at DE. He really forced teams to run away from him into our strong side where our LB's would be sitting.
Dylan Cochran is the man on this years front. He has a knack for finding the ball. Bobby Sebring does a decent job at getting penetration, but can't seem to keep his helmet on lol.

LB's
Another wash...
Eliot Nicewanger, Corey Champlin, Jared Wren and Greylon Summers were a talented group.
As are, Troy Stalder (robbed of SEO 1st team district honors) Freddy Stalder, Alex Goldsberry and Bryce Graves...

DB's
Slight Edge to '01-03 squad strictly because Gregory roamed the Safety Position.
If Burrow plays Safety next season, he could help solidified the secondary, just like a good centerfielder...
Hewitt/Sebring and Mingus were a pretty solid secondary with Gregory...along with Adam Harris.
Williams, Vu and Ry. Luehrman could use some help, as the big pass has hurt us...

Again, this is all fun in games talking past v. present. Takes for the stroll down memory lane Pol Pot...

Now Back to ATHENS 2013...Roll Train Roll...
Go BULLDOGS!
"JUST WIN BABY!"

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

questionmark wrote:Haha, Pol Pot...I was waiting for that. Me and 93Dog have tried to answer that question...

Skill Players I believe it is a wash...both teams were highly skilled in the flyboy department...
QB's
Grant and Joey were/are great Signal Callers who both could/can throw the accurate deep ball and could/can scramble to keep plays alive.
RB's
The Chris Duo (Hewitt & Pitts) were a great one two punch just like Trae and Dakota. The Agile quick backs wore #2 and Pitts & McFee are bigger-type backs...
WR's
Ryan Mingus, Jeremy Sebring and Corey Champlin were all three outstanding recievers. Aaron Ransom and Robert Hughes were good blocking/receiving TE's.
Ryan & Adam Luehrman, Heath Wisemen and Sam Vander Ven have all been reliable WR's this season who rarely drop the ball...

OL/DL
This is where I think a slight edge can go toward the 2001-03 squad.
The Oline and Dline mostly played both ways, had great size across the board. Coach Champlin always had a well condition team.
Some players that stood out were Brock CLonch and Peter Kerber. They both played Tackles and Defensive Tackles and both had great Athens Careers. Another, and I know he was one of 93's favorite players was Aaron Ransom. He was 6'3'' and around 240 pounds at DE. He really forced teams to run away from him into our strong side where our LB's would be sitting.
Dylan Cochran is the man on this years front. He has a knack for finding the ball. Bobby Sebring does a decent job at getting penetration, but can't seem to keep his helmet on lol.

LB's
Another wash...
Eliot Nicewanger, Corey Champlin, Jared Wren and Greylon Summers were a talented group.
As are, Troy Stalder (robbed of SEO 1st team district honors) Freddy Stalder, Alex Goldsberry and Bryce Graves...

DB's
Slight Edge to '01-03 squad strictly because Gregory roamed the Safety Position.
If Burrow plays Safety next season, he could help solidified the secondary, just like a good centerfielder...
Hewitt/Sebring and Mingus were a pretty solid secondary with Gregory...along with Adam Harris.
Williams, Vu and Ry. Luehrman could use some help, as the big pass has hurt us...

Again, this is all fun in games talking past v. present. Takes for the stroll down memory lane Pol Pot...

Now Back to ATHENS 2013...Roll Train Roll...
Go BULLDOGS!
"JUST WIN BABY!"
So you basically just stated that today's team is not better than the 01-03' team at any possession?

questionmark
All Conference

Post by questionmark »

Pol ill have to wait til this group graduates to answer your question...they are still getting better.

Also, they have 4 Playoff wins to our 0...that is where our team wanted to be.

OneHitWonder
Riding the Bench

Post by OneHitWonder »

questionmark wrote:Pol ill have to wait til this group graduates to answer your question...they are still getting better.

So right now your saying the "01-03" Team was better..... BUT with a little luck and hard work this group might end up Better.....

OMG Your off your Rocker!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

questionmark
All Conference

Post by questionmark »

That is not even close to what I was saying.

When this team concludes play in 2014, their QB, RB and possibly WR will hold every record in their statistical category. That doesn't come from dumb luck or lack of hard work. The question was if the two teams played, who wins...

93 and myself talk about this all the time...it would be one heckuva game...dont turn this into something it is not....I love this team and their players. Coach Adams was my position coach in HS. I learned so much from him.

Are team was what it was, the Revival of AHS Football...now this group has went above and beyond....like I said Pol Pot...we can revisit this next year...now go BULLDOGS...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

if you broke it down into just seasons, I would rank them this way ... and I am the lucky one who got to see all the teams play (modern era)

1. 2013 Athens
2. 2012 Athens
3. 1989 Athens (coach Adams, Scott Stricklin, great linebackers, and really good offensive and defensive lines ... 8-2 SEOAL CHAMPIONS)
4. 2003 Athens (tough luck with the quality of the SEOAL that year.)
5. 1990 Athens (mostly the same line as 1989 team, but minus coach Adams, Stricklin, linebacker Will Coon and linemen Jon Seaman and Derek Atherton ... 7-3, shared SEOAL with 4 other teams - but did make the playoffs)
6. 2011 Athens (10-0 is a great season no matter how you break it down.)
7. 2009 Athens (9-1 is also a great season.)

RedRage
Waterboy

Post by RedRage »

93Bulldog wrote:if you broke it down into just seasons, I would rank them this way ... and I am the lucky one who got to see all the teams play (modern era)

1. 2013 Athens
2. 2012 Athens
3. 1989 Athens (coach Adams, Scott Stricklin, great linebackers, and really good offensive and defensive lines ... 8-2 SEOAL CHAMPIONS)
4. 2003 Athens (tough luck with the quality of the SEOAL that year.)
5. 1990 Athens (mostly the same line as 1989 team, but minus coach Adams, Stricklin, linebacker Will Coon and linemen Jon Seaman and Derek Atherton ... 7-3, shared SEOAL with 4 other teams - but did make the playoffs)
6. 2011 Athens (10-0 is a great season no matter how you break it down.)
7. 2009 Athens (9-1 is also a great season.)

The 2011 team would knock off the 2012 and 2013 team(s) ;)

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

OneHitWonder wrote:
questionmark wrote:Pol ill have to wait til this group graduates to answer your question...they are still getting better.

So right now your saying the "01-03" Team was better..... BUT with a little luck and hard work this group might end up Better.....

OMG Your off your Rocker!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
That is exactly what he said! Go back and look at his breakdown of positions he gives. No where is this team stronger than his. Equal at a couple but by his breakdown this team has no advantages.

questionmark
All Conference

Post by questionmark »

93 I can live with that List...
It is only fair when Ranking a Team that Teams winning League Championships get the nod above the rest...

Pol and OneHit, just because I feel athlete to athlete that the 2002-2003 teams were better, that doesn't mean anything when the game is played...what is the one big glarring side of the ball people look at when they say the 2013'-04' squad has...Defense...the 02'-03 Dogs had one pretty solid Defensive unit who allowed Jackson to put up 36 points, that was the most points they allowed in that season...and they were lead by Kent State Alum Jared Humphreys that year...
...but when has it stopped the '12-13 squad when people have thought they were out-manned? Springfield Shawnee and Tri-Valley are great indications of what this team is capable of...

Just at a quick look back...
Gregory went to Indiana
Hewitt, Summers, Wren went to OU and Pitts went to OU for Baseball...
Mingus went to VMI
Kerber went to Ohio Dominican
Kurt Roberts whom I forgot to mention in the OL department went to Findley for Shot Putt...
Some pretty good athletes were on this squad...doens't mean they were better, doesn't mean they were not...

This Current squad will send plenty of athletes to play college sports either in football, basketball or baseball...

When all is said and done we will only be able to compare numbers...
The 13'-14' squad will have the numbers in every category...wins,statistics, play-offs...we can all agree on that...

When comparing athlete to athlete these teams are pretty much carbon copies...strong passing game + strong running game...
If they met on a Neutral field who knows what happens...

Was it unfortunate that Gregory's squad played against some pretty stout competition inside their League, only when you look at League Championship and Play-Off appearences...The Old SEOAL squads did a great job of smacking each other around which lead to teams finding themselves on the short end of the play-offs...can agree that the TVC-OHIO this year and next year is/will be no where as competitive as the SEOAL from '02'-03?...

This is why I always try to stay away from this topic, hence why I tried to respectfully disagree without trying to cause a fight...
I think we can agree that both were talented teams with talented athletes...

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Roberts went to Ashland.

questionmark
All Conference

Post by questionmark »

Pol Pot, you are correct sir...Roberts did go to Ashland, I'll tell ya first I forget him from the OL category then I forget his college...He was a great teammate...

BA11A
Waterboy

Post by BA11A »

Someone said something about this class breaking all kinds of records, I was told that no records have been kept so how would anyone know who holds what records?

MODERATOR 1
Riding the Bench

Post by MODERATOR 1 »

Falcon89 wrote:Someone said something about this class breaking all kinds of records, I was told that no records have been kept so how would anyone know who holds what records?
Mainly because some of the records are actually state records and being submitted to the OHSAA. Had Athens - or some of the Athens players - achieved those numbers in the past they would have been submitted as well.

of course points are easily kept - and seeing as this years Athens team is 1-of-only-6 teams in the history of Ohio high school football to score 700 points in a season - I'm pretty sure its a school record too. :mrgreen:

BA11A
Waterboy

Post by BA11A »

Moderator2 I understand that part but I am talking about the above conversation about which team is better so I was thinking they were talking individual stats put together. Thanks though :mrgreen:

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

2013 team is the best since consolidation. Not even close. 02 Athens lost to a bad point pleasant. 89 Athens got destroyed in the playoffs. 09 team lost to Nelsonville. 11 team got rolled by Jackson in the playoffs. 13 team has most wins in school history(12) and still playing. If I can remember, burrow has every Athens playoff win. Burrow could be best athlete in Athens history since consolidation. Probably be all time leading scorer in Athens history for basketball. Only 1 1000 point scorer

Williams has rushing record from Ryan Adams
Burrow has all passing records
Gregory threw for 2,000yards his senior year. Burrow has 3,400 yards and counting this year

Return to “Football”