Week 12 Region 9: #1 Athens vs. #4 Tri-Valley

teach1coach2
All State

Week 12 Region 9: #1 Athens vs. #4 Tri-Valley

Post by teach1coach2 »

11-0 Athens vs. 9-2 Tri-Valley

Should be a very entertaining game. Guessing it will be at Logan. We'll find out on Sunday.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Re: Week 12 Region 9: #1 Athens vs. #4 Tri-Valley

Post by 93Bulldog »

TVC-OHIO CHAMP vs MVL CHAMP

WOW!

Should be entertaining to say the least.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

I'll take Athens in a close one. 49 to 42

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Watched Tri-Valley against New Philly tonight and came away very impressed with the Scotties.

They controlled the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. Very physical, hard-nosed team. Their RB runs with a lot of power, but he's also quick and shifty. He's certainly a load to bring down. The QB is very athletic and threw the ball very well tonight also. I think Tri-Valley's defense will certainly be tested against the explosive Athens offense, but I think they'll try to control the clock with their running game, and keep Burrow on the sideline.

Sounds like Athens was a little sloppy tonight, and Tri-Valley was too with some fumbles and a couple muffed punts. Mistakes like that next week could be costly for both teams.

I think we'll see a very competitive game next week with plenty of scoring, but nowhere near what happened tonight with Athens and Logan Elm. Logan would be a good location for this game, but I'm selfishly hoping for somewhere in the Columbus area.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

This should be like Athens vs Shawnee last year, lots of led changes

Philos_Finest
All Conference

Post by Philos_Finest »

Athens very well may score 40 points Friday. The problem is, if they play defense like they did tonight Tri-Valley is going to score 80. :shock:

chiefs
Varsity

Post by chiefs »

I'm going to guess this will be played at Jim Rockwell in New Lexington.

indianabuck
All State

Post by indianabuck »

New Lexington sounds perfect for that game if they are willing to host. Logan is too close to Athens and Zanesville is playing on Friday night, so that leaves them out.

teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

I agree New Lex would be a fair location for this game distance-wise, but would they put it on the field of an MVL school with Tri-Valley in the MVL????????

A little recent Tri-Valley football history lesson. This is the 10th season for Justin Buttermore at Tri-Valley. This is the 7th year Tri-Valley has played in week 11 (2006,07,09,10,11,12,13). The Scotties are 5-2 in week 11 (wins over Logan, New Albany, Tecumseh- twice, and New Philadelphia and losses to Dover (06), Orange (by 7)). They are 1-3 in week 12 (win over New Albany and losses to Louisville (by 8), Lake (by 7), New Albany (by 7) and 0-1 in week 3 (lost in OT by 6 to Marion Franklin). 6-6 overall playoff record. Except for 2006 when TV's QB fractured his hip in the first quarter of a 49-7 loss to Dover, Tri-Valley has not lost a playoff game by more than 8 points.

This year, Tri-Valley plays the style that is most effective depending on the other teams defense. Against New Philly they played a lot of power, run up the middle football. They are also good and going 4 or 5 wide and throwing it all over the field. Obviously not Athens-good at doing that, but still good. Defensively, Tri-Valley is very strong against the run, but not as good against the pass (but improving). They do get good pressure with only 3 guys rushing and will get some sacks.

This game sets up to be another basketball score. Since both teams had problems with mistakes/turnovers in week 11, I think it is fair to say the team with the least mistakes/turnovers plays in week 13 against Marion Franklin for the regional title.

One thing both teams will have in common, when you play a team outside of southeast ohio they spend the whole week telling you how weak your league is (MVL in our case, TVC Ohio in yours).
Last edited by teach1coach2 on Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

Forgot to mention, the Scotties fans (and the fans of other MVL schools and Zanesville - some supportive and some not) can be found at www.mvlforum.com

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

Athens giving up 55 last night has got to be a little concerning this morning to the Bulldogs faithful.

Defense wins championships, there is no HS, college or professional team in football that advances by outscoring opponents...it doesn't happen. I had picked Athens going to Regional finals again this year and losing to Marion Franklin...but Logan Elm puts up 55? Didn't go to the game, maybe there is an explanation but defensively Athens I would think has to do better next week or there may not be a week 13.

How does TV match up against Athens? Are they are solid defensively with some experience? Who will be the first team to stop Athens' offensive juggernaut and make Athens defense win the game? If it is TV, then TV may be the team to move on.

vctransplant
All Conference

Post by vctransplant »

Athens. Them boys are something special. Logan Elm is a very solid team and when A-town needed. To score they did.

TigerBacker#1
Riding the Bench

Post by TigerBacker#1 »

I would love to see Athens advance. However the game in the trenches does not bode well for them. I agree with double. Championships are not won by outscoring your opponent. Athens outscored Logan Elm. Not a positive beginning.

vctransplant
All Conference

Post by vctransplant »

toldya wrote:I would love to see Athens advance. However the game in the trenches does not bode well for them. I agree with double. Championships are not won by outscoring your opponent. Athens outscored Logan Elm. Not a positive beginning.
I agree with ya toldya. Defense wins championships. But them Bulldogs play good enough defense to get some stops. And the big
question is what defense stops them. Not saying that they will win it all. Just saying they are special.

Piratefan2
Varsity

Post by Piratefan2 »

after seeing the score from lastnights game, seems to me that athens dont have much on defense??? maybe logan elm didnt have a defense either??? guess we will see next week how athens really are! good luck and praying for no injury games :)

seoconstruction
Freshman Team

Post by seoconstruction »

Tri valley matched up very well against new Philly ! Tri valley IMO has a big advantage as far as "been there done that" and from what I seen Friday night they will have Athens shook early and control the game. Athens dominates in a terrible league and have still seen no competition. From what I seen from tri valley last night against a solid new Philly and what I seen from Athens against nelsonville , I'll take tri valley by 13
43-30

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

seoconstruction wrote:Tri valley matched up very well against new Philly ! Tri valley IMO has a big advantage as far as "been there done that" and from what I seen Friday night they will have Athens shook early and control the game. Athens dominates in a terrible league and have still seen no competition. From what I seen from tri valley last night against a solid new Philly and what I seen from Athens against nelsonville , I'll take tri valley by 13
43-30
Athens played in week 13 last year with freshmen and sophomores. Have one of the top qb's in ohio. Hopefully tri valley comes out like they already won. Be a long night. Tri valley might be the best team Athens has played yet but Athens is the best offense tri valley will face

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

RAIDER6309 wrote:
seoconstruction wrote:Tri valley matched up very well against new Philly ! Tri valley IMO has a big advantage as far as "been there done that" and from what I seen Friday night they will have Athens shook early and control the game. Athens dominates in a terrible league and have still seen no competition. From what I seen from tri valley last night against a solid new Philly and what I seen from Athens against nelsonville , I'll take tri valley by 13
43-30
Athens played in week 13 last year with freshmen and sophomores. Have one of the top qb's in ohio. Hopefully tri valley comes out like they already won. Be a long night. Tri valley might be the best team Athens has played yet but Athens is the best offense tri valley will face
Athens MIGHT be the best offense TV will face.

But they've already seen Zanesville who are averaging over 52 points per game and have a QB putting up video game like numbers against better competition than Athens has faced.

ZHS put up over 50 on TV so there is no reason to think Athens won't score. I'm just saying it won't be the first ELITE offense that TV has seen.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

I'm saying tri valley can't defend the pass. They are going against considered the best QB in Ohio. Tri valleys defense is in question as much as Athens. He was 26 for 34 with 501 yards passing last night. Athens offense played horrible

davegrohlfan06
Waterboy

Post by davegrohlfan06 »

RAIDER6309 wrote:I'm saying tri valley can't defend the pass. They are going against considered the best QB in Ohio. Tri valleys defense is in question as much as Athens. He was 26 for 34 with 501 yards passing last night. Athens offense played horrible
Raider, have you seen TV's defense play? They are NOWHERE " in question" as much as Athens' defense. Zanesville would be a 3TD favorite vs Athens and TV will be a 1-2TD favorite. Give credit where credit is due. Athens offense played horrible? What game were you watching? 93dog is disappointed in you!!!

Return to “Football”