High School Athlete Drug Testing

Flock_92
Freshman Team

High School Athlete Drug Testing

Post by Flock_92 »

I would like to challenge all area high school administrations to enforce a very strict drug policy and follow through with your established consequences. I think it is shameful that there are so many athletes that are known to be using/abusing drugs and the coaches/schools are turning a blind eye. I am sure someone reading this is going to mention that schools don't have the money to test their athletes and so it is best to play stupid on the subject. I say that is all a bunch of bull, they have money for everything else so pony up the money to test your student athletes. It is sad that adults in charge of these kids are more interested with putting a "W" on their record than potentially benching their starting players because he is juicing (steroids), smoking weed, taking pills, using heroin, etc. Drugs are everywhere and it is time that someone tries to get it out of our schools and give our kids a chance in life.

Flock_92
Freshman Team

Re: High School Athlete Drug Testing

Post by Flock_92 »

As all parents have to sit through the mandatory OHSAA meeting every year, so your child can play sports at your school, and listen to all the rules about snuff, drinking, smoking cigarettes and drugs. It would be nice to know that we aren't wasting our time. Every parent has to sign a form with their kid that states that will follow the rules and if not there are consequences for not following the rules. Yet I have never heard of a player getting benched, suspended or dismissed from the team for violations.

baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

I would like to challenge all area PARENTS to enforce a very strict drug policy and follow through with your established consequences. I think it is shameful that there are so many athletes that are known to be using/abusing drugs and the PARENTS are turning a blind eye. I am sure someone reading this is going to mention that homes don't have the money to test their kids and so it is best to play stupid on the subject. I say that is all a bunch of bull, they have money for cigarettes, beer, etc... so pony up the money to test your kids. It is sad that PARENTS in charge of these kids are more interested with turning a blind eye on their parenting than potentially grounding their kids because he is juicing (steroids), smoking weed, taking pills, using heroin, etc. Drugs are everywhere and it is time that someone tries to get it out of our houses and communities and give our kids a chance in life.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Can we drug test the parents :lol:

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

well said baseball16.

AT THE RESERVATION
Flock_92
Freshman Team

Post by Flock_92 »

baseball16 wrote:I would like to challenge all area PARENTS to enforce a very strict drug policy and follow through with your established consequences. I think it is shameful that there are so many athletes that are known to be using/abusing drugs and the PARENTS are turning a blind eye. I am sure someone reading this is going to mention that homes don't have the money to test their kids and so it is best to play stupid on the subject. I say that is all a bunch of bull, they have money for cigarettes, beer, etc... so pony up the money to test your kids. It is sad that PARENTS in charge of these kids are more interested with turning a blind eye on their parenting than potentially grounding their kids because he is juicing (steroids), smoking weed, taking pills, using heroin, etc. Drugs are everywhere and it is time that someone tries to get it out of our houses and communities and give our kids a chance in life.

You are 100% right Coach. The parents do need to step up and take control of their kids, but if you have a player on your team that you know/suspect that is using/abusing drugs then you don't care about the kids on your team.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

No, you test the kid and send the bill to the parents via court order to pay.

AT THE RESERVATION
Flock_92
Freshman Team

Post by Flock_92 »

1987chieftains wrote:No, you test the kid and send the bill to the parents via court order to pay.

That sounds fine, just test them!!

TVC
Varsity

Post by TVC »

Also test parents and teachers without giving them prior notice. AKA time to study.

LHS 72
S

Post by LHS 72 »

TVC wrote:Also test parents and teachers without giving them prior notice. AKA time to study.
Just like a cause of personal accident drug are an unsafe act and testing is a deterrent! (I think I spelled it right)

The cost of testing can be control by using an oral swab!
Last edited by LHS 72 on Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

JV Team

Post by 1906 »

start with management and work your way down its only fair

tvc_fan
Varsity

Post by tvc_fan »

Meigs does the drug tests randomly and often.

Flock_92
Freshman Team

Post by Flock_92 »

tvc_fan wrote:Meigs does the drug tests randomly and often.

That's great, wish more schools would. Keep up the good work.

LHS 72
S

Post by LHS 72 »

All school personnel must be included in a drug free school system and if a teacher, non teacher or any administrator test comes back positive they must be terminated and the students needs to be on in school expulsion! One strike any you are out!

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

Not completely opposed to random or for cause drug testing of HS Athletes, but it needs to include any extracurricular band, drama, choir, etc., and be implemented after: It is implemented for the entire school district staff (Superintendents, Principals, Teachers, Coaches, Bus Drivers, Maintenance, Cooks, Board of Education Members, etc.).

If a government body (assume we are talking about Public not Private schools mostly here in SEOP's land) wants to lead the way and tackle a problem (and it is a problem make no doubt about it) then get out in front and do it by example. Don't dip your toe in the water and then turn around and throw someone else into the pond, jump in head first and lead.

And when the Superintendents, Principals, Teachers, Coaches, Bus Drivers, Maintenance, Cooks and BOE Members grow a set and do this make sure the community knows, papers, press, social media. Let the community know you are leading by example and doing this, set the tone, and effect a change. Otherwise you are simply a hypocrite not really looking to address the problem in a real and substantive way.

If you aren't going to do that then stay out of my parent-child relationship. I will handle the good, the bad, and the ugly that all of us will address sometime between birth and graduation, or when they leave home. Don't get me wrong if they misbehave at school they are all yours you won't here a peep from me about discipline, but if you want to cross the line into parent-child then you best be taking the lead and practicing what you preach. Then I can support you.

I read a story a few years ago where a football coach was trying to address the issue. He told the kids mid-week of the first summer practice he had arranged a local hospital to donate time/resources to perform a rapid screen on the Saturday coming up, and it was voluntary but he wanted them to invite their parents and he was going to invite all of his staff, the administration, teachers, etc.. He explained to them you lead by example and challenged them to do the same. As I recall the turnout with players and coaches was like a 100%; the turnout with parents was 93%; and the teacher and administration was mid 30%, and he commented must have been a lot of staff on vacation.

Don't be that group that wants another group to do something that your group doesn't want to do and then hide behind well we think it is best for them to do that thing we won't do.

Bighitsinc
Varsity

Post by Bighitsinc »

LHS 72 wrote:All school personnel must be included in a drug free school system and if a teacher, non teacher or any administrator test comes back positive they must be terminated and the students needs to be on in school expulsion! One strike any you are out!
SOOO, according to your plan you just throw your hands in the air and say,,, sorry bout your luck,,,you're done.
This is exactly what NOT to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If one tests positive, they have been led down the wrong path. Programs, counseling, and more testing should be in place to help them get back on course. I would say more like 3 strikes and you're out.

LHS 72
S

Post by LHS 72 »

Bighitsinc wrote:
LHS 72 wrote:All school personnel must be included in a drug free school system and if a teacher, non teacher or any administrator test comes back positive they must be terminated and the students needs to be on in school expulsion! One strike any you are out!
SOOO, according to your plan you just throw your hands in the air and say,,, sorry bout your luck,,,you're done.
If one tests positive, they have been led down the wrong path. Programs, counseling, and more testing should be in place to help them get back on course. I would say more like 3 strikes and you're out.
Man get real! in the real world where lives matter one strike is all people get . I have wrote many drug free workplace policies and well over 90% of my clients will only tolerate s one time and you are out of here! This is not our liberal school systems where they pamper kids and employee's. They better start preparing our young people for real life!

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Good way to treat students like criminals. We already have a huge problem of schools putting students on paper for dumb stuff. Let's give the schools more power :lol:

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I think it is around $50 per test. Do every student 9-12 and every single worker in the district...so for Jackson everyone gets 1 per year at a random time and it would cost around $45,000 a year.....two a year would be $90,000. That's a lot of coin. Could maybe get some sponsorship to help cover some of the costs.

Regardless....I'm still going to blame the parents and the student/athlete.

dragonalum
Riding the Bench

Post by dragonalum »

LHS 72 wrote:
Bighitsinc wrote:
Man get real! in the real world where lives matter one strike is all people get . I have wrote many drug free workplace policies and well over 90% of my clients will only tolerate s one time and you are out of here! This is not our liberal school systems where they pamper kids and employee's. They better start preparing our young people for real life!
1) Teachers are subject to random drug testing as well.

2) A child is not an adult. Yes, they should absolutely lose their privilege of participating in extracurricular activities, but it is completely irresponsible to say to a child that they cannot get an education because they failed 1 drug test. Not to mention that most schools automatically turn the case over to juvenile court, which is what they should be doing - a school administrator has no business deciding the outcome of a legal matter like that.

3) Making ignorant comments like "this is not our liberal education system" doesn't mean that you're somehow smarter or more enlightened to the real world than someone who believes that a kid who makes a poor choice to smoke pot is not a delinquent who should spend the rest of his life being poop on by society for one bad decision. It just makes you look like an asshole.

Return to “Football”