Athens Bulldogs 2014

doubleplay643
S

Re: Athens Bulldogs 2014

Post by doubleplay643 »

82 sounds like a pretty big number, similar to Ready hanging 98 on Washington CH last year (which I believe may have prompted the Ohio up by more than 30 mercy rule being implemented this year actually).

There is a lot of things you could do to limit that number, perhaps if Athens wanted to get some work in defensively for all of their kids (JV or Frosh) they could have punted each time they got the ball and put Wellston back on offense and thereby let the Rockets take advantage of the clock running off. I think after 50 or 60 everybody gets the point (if they didn't understand that already) that Athens is pretty good.

Certainly there could have been other ways to get work in for your back-ups other than putting up 82.

I will be the first to admit though, that I wasn't there and know nothing about this game, maybe Athens did that and they still scored, it just seems a little excessive. But I wasn't there.

Bighitsinc
Varsity

Post by Bighitsinc »

ucantcme wrote:Every GOOD staff knows how not to run up the score.
Unless they had never been in that position before,,, you know, in a league amongst teams that were their own size,, O wait they were,, and maybe that's how they were treated over there. NEVER and I repeat NEVER should this type of classlessness be allowed...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Joe Burrow played 1 quarter and attempted just 6 passes.

Freshmen Treyce Albin, who I believe is the 4th string QB behind Burrow, Wiseman, Sano - was 5-6-0-75 yds and a TD.

3rd string tailback Deshawn Horton had 65 yards rushing and 2 TD's.

reserve WR Andy Kostival had 4 catches for 35 yards.
reserve WR Cody Bennett had 1 catch for 40 yards and a TD.

Athens had 525 yards of total offense. Trimble racked up 464 and only allowed 33 to Eastern during a 65-6 victory. Funny how nobody has said a word about that game. Especially when Trimble WR had FIVE touchdown receptions, including one in the 4th quarter. Athens scores were all by reserves starting just a few minutes into the 3rd quarter.

Early in the week it's "Athens won't do anything next year", "2015!", "payback", "Athens has no talent outside of its seniors", etc ... etc ... Then, they go out and try and improve on a Friday night with these so called 'untalented' reserves - and everyone jumps on them and wants them to take a knee.

Now, I don't like seeing an 82-spot on the board. But you can't tell these kids who practice just as hard as the seniors all week to just lay over and play dead. It's not fair to them.

tomcat fan
All Conference

Post by tomcat fan »

Good post Bulldog. Athens and Trimble both have very high goals this year and whether it is the first team or jv players they need to continue to work and get better to achieve them goals

86LancerLover
Freshman Team

Post by 86LancerLover »

doubleplay643 wrote:82 sounds like a pretty big number, similar to Ready hanging 98 on Washington CH last year (which I believe may have prompted the Ohio up by more than 30 mercy rule being implemented this year actually).

There is a lot of things you could do to limit that number, perhaps if Athens wanted to get some work in defensively for all of their kids (JV or Frosh) they could have punted each time they got the ball and put Wellston back on offense and thereby let the Rockets take advantage of the clock running off. I think after 50 or 60 everybody gets the point (if they didn't understand that already) that Athens is pretty good.

Certainly there could have been other ways to get work in for your back-ups other than putting up 82.

I will be the first to admit though, that I wasn't there and know nothing about this game, maybe Athens did that and they still scored, it just seems a little excessive. But I wasn't there.

If it is true that Burrow only played 1Quarter and Athens still scored 80+ points, I'd say one of three things. 1.Wellston gave up. 2. Burrow is not the entire team. 3. Double Play has (male organ) envy, they could not do that to Wellston, a team who has won 5 games in 30+ years v Jackson.

bengals01
JV Team

Post by bengals01 »

93Bulldog wrote:Joe Burrow played 1 quarter and attempted just 6 passes.

Freshmen Treyce Albin, who I believe is the 4th string QB behind Burrow, Wiseman, Sano - was 5-6-0-75 yds and a TD.

3rd string tailback Deshawn Horton had 65 yards rushing and 2 TD's.

reserve WR Andy Kostival had 4 catches for 35 yards.
reserve WR Cody Bennett had 1 catch for 40 yards and a TD.

Athens had 525 yards of total offense. Trimble racked up 464 and only allowed 33 to Eastern during a 65-6 victory. Funny how nobody has said a word about that game. Especially when Trimble WR had FIVE touchdown receptions, including one in the 4th quarter. Athens scores were all by reserves starting just a few minutes into the 3rd quarter.

Early in the week it's "Athens won't do anything next year", "2015!", "payback", "Athens has no talent outside of its seniors", etc ... etc ... Then, they go out and try and improve on a Friday night with these so called 'untalented' reserves - and everyone jumps on them and wants them to take a knee.

Now, I don't like seeing an 82-spot on the board. But you can't tell these kids who practice just as hard as the seniors all week to just lay over and play dead. It's not fair to them.
Good post Thank you

bengals01
JV Team

Post by bengals01 »

doubleplay643 wrote:82 sounds like a pretty big number, similar to Ready hanging 98 on Washington CH last year (which I believe may have prompted the Ohio up by more than 30 mercy rule being implemented this year actually).

Come on Doubleplay how disrespectable is that punt on 1st down
Only one that upset is bighitsinc. And your right you weren’t there or you would understand what happened.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

I wish our junior high coaches felt this way. Both teams winning 30-0 in first quarter , should've hung 120 on them and told Athens to get better . 82 points is just too much . Justify it how you want .

ucantcme
Freshman Team

Post by ucantcme »

First of all Trimble is not in the tvc Ohio. I think the league needs to take action. This is a reflection of the community the staff and administration at athens. It's completely classless anyway you look at it. Putting 82 on a member league team should draw some action. When you came begging to get in the tvc and was voted in this was a big thank you I guess. Do you think the seoal will let you back in when your cut loose?

Jakefromstatefarm
Varsity

Post by Jakefromstatefarm »

:roll: :roll: :roll:

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

Hey BarlowBandit what exactly didn't you understand about:
doubleplay643 wrote:I will be the first to admit though, that I wasn't there and know nothing about this game, maybe Athens did that and they still scored, it just seems a little excessive. But I wasn't there.
Your intelligence level (or lack thereof perhaps) should also let you know if you read my previous posts on Athens is that I actually am a pretty big fan. Reference last years play-off threads and this year's Steubenville topic, or the caliber of players the Bulldogs have on their roster and how exciting it is that they are from SE Ohio.

Also, it is funny you mention Wellston and Jackson's record against them, if you would care to take a peek at the Wellston Rocket Football Program thread running right now you would see that I suggest it may be time to do something a little different in Week 1.

Most people on here you can have an intelligent conversation with and sometimes just agree to disagree. You just don't happen to be one of those individuals.

questionmark
All Conference

Post by questionmark »

Athens first 4 possessions of the 2nd Half were inside Wellston Territory with the worse starting position being I believe the 35 yard line. How? Wellston's inability to produce Offense (a vital part of a game) and miscues (fumbles inside your own territory) will likely result in scores. Athens scored (1) TD in the 2nd Half on a pass play which came on the heels of a 3rd and 25. Freshman Albin made a nice pass to a covered Bennett who fought for the pass and walked away with a Touchdown.

I want you to tell Albin and Bennett, both Freshman that succeeding on Friday Night after 4 Nights of Practice is Classless...

Athens has scored 80+ points only Twice.
Last Year against Alexander and this year Against Wellston...both High Numbers a result of different circumstances...

Against Alexander, their Coach put them in no position to succeed by constantly passing the ball, stopping the clock. Alexander had more passing attempts in that game than Athens. However, Athens success on the ground led to several quick Touchdowns. Athens could no control what the Alexander Coaches were doing...

Against Wellston, their Coach had the right gameplan. He used as much play clock as possible to help chew away the game. However, fumbles inside their own territory led to short fields and quick Touchdowns by the Athens 2nd Team. Athens couldn't control that Wellston would fumble so much in the second half...
ucantcme wrote: It is in these situations that coaches should present their athletes with the opportunity to work on skill development in areas that may need improvement.
Athens had the JV in the Entire 2nd Half. They were developing, getting game experience.
ucantcme wrote:Craig Bogar, EdD
Dr. Bogar is the Dean of Student Services for the United States Sports Academy. He has served as director of athletics for the University of Mobile and Loyola University of New Orleans, and has coached track and swimming

But I'm sure the posters on seop know more than this guy
Don't give a hoot what some 'SUIT' thinks he knows about sports. The Wussification of America has been in full swing the past Decade. Athens and their Very Repectable Coaching Staff did exactly what 'The Textbook' says to do when you have a lead. Take the Starters out, modify the play calling. I see in no way how Coach Adams and his staff tried to be self-serving or classless. Unless you consider Self-Serving as developing your JV Players in a 2nd Half of blowouts which has been done 'All Year' with this Coaching Staff.

Definition of Good?
ucantcme wrote:Every GOOD staff knows how not to run up the score.
"Satisfactory in quality, quantity, or degree, well-behaved."

Another REASON, Athens put up easy scores in the 2nd Half was the result of 'Undiciplined Players' from Wellston getting Penalties on Extra Points. I believe 3-4 times Wellston was flagged for Roughing the Holder. End Result? Touchbacks on the kickoff making Wellston drive 80 yards. Instead, fumbles gave Athens the ball with less than 20 yards to score.

Show me a better Coached, better Diciplined Team inside the TVC-OHIO and I'll call you a liar. Athens is the least penalized Team.

Ryan Adams and his Staff will go down as the BEST Coaching Staff at Athens High School, Period. Have you ever talked to Ryan Adams or any of his staff. I played for him in the early 2000's and he without a doubt is one of the best coaches I have ever met.
BIGHITSINC wrote:Unless they had never been in that position before,,, you know, in a league amongst teams that were their own size,, O wait they were,, and maybe that's how they were treated over there. NEVER and I repeat NEVER should this type of classlessness be allowed..
2007 Athens League Opponents.
Logan - 62-6
Marietta - 41-11
Warren - 42-10
Zanesville - 74-0
Chillicothe - 55-7
Jackson - 63-19
Gallia Academy - 14-6

I guess that Makes Zanesville, Logan, Chillicothe, and Jackson Classless Programs for what they did to a fellow League Member...

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Intentionally taking knees because you are so much better than an opponent is the ultimate embarrassment to the losing team. I'm a believer in running basic running plays with backups in out of hand games.

I wonder if we are eventually heading to a mercy rule, like the 10 runs in baseball or softball. If you get to a 42-point lead in football, the game is over.

questionmark
All Conference

Post by questionmark »

Doubleplay I know you were not present as I'm sure you were rooting on your Jackson Ironmen (who are having an amzing Season as well!)

To give you the brief rundown from someone who was there.
Burrow played only 1 Quarter. Threw 2 TD Passes.
Williams rushed for 5 TD's.
Wellston looked Great on the opponing possession driving the field, 3 firstdowns lead to a (7-7) score.

Then, Wellston's inability to Pass allowed Athens to load the box resulting in 3 and outs...
Athens simply handed the Ball to Williams all 1st Half and allowed him to shine...

2nd Half...
Wellston fumbled inside their own territory several times resulting in short field position for the Athens JV's...
Wellston was 'Undiciplined' on 2nd Half PAT's resulting in Athens kicking from the 45-yardline. Touchbacks put pressure on Wellston to drive 80 yards.
Wellston pulled their starters last, in the 4th Quarter.

Turnovers, Penalties, 3-&-Outs and Allowing Big Plays all in the 2nd Half were the Direct Reason Athens was able to Score 82.

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

Help me out here on what the acceptable score differential is? Does a TD scored by your JV team count as running it up? What if it was JV against JV? 20 or more of our last points came from nonstarters--is that running it up?

What if the losing team doesn't punt when they should and gives up 2 scores by giving a team a short field---is that running it up? If you think your starters will only play a half and you have playoff aspirations is it wrong to have them go full tilt to get some work?

I've been on the wrong side of games like this (to many times)---I shrugged and coached my team to get better. I had a team call a TO with 5 seconds left in the game to try a 40 yd. field goal leading 38 to 0---were they running it up?

The game has changed---it's basketball on turf now with the spread---more scores mean more touches and more touches mean more scores.

Feel free to educate me on what the proper spread is in your minds to avoid being "Classless"----save your time if your school has beat a team by 60 or more---because if they have then all you are doing is showing your envy. Now if you have kept if within 30 and under 50 every game throughout your history---I'll listen to you.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

Well, then I just don't know what you do given that rundown questionmark. Just unfortunate situation all the way around I suppose.

Thanks for the congrats on our year we are pretty excited about it, big game this week for us. Good luck to the Bulldogs rest of year.

6-4-3=2o
Varsity

Post by 6-4-3=2o »

[quote="Viking96"]I wish our junior high coaches felt this way. Both teams winning 30-0 in first quarter , should've hung 120 on them and told Athens to get better . 82 points is just too much . Justify it how you want .[/quote]

That's definitely classy, Viking. Just wondering, are any of those coaches the same ones on staff that had 5th graders cheat to win a tournament basketball game a few years ago?

And to think, walking out of that jr high football game, I gave props to the staff. They basically played a 2nd unit in the 2nd/4th quarters, with the 1st unit playing 1st/3rd quarters. Impressive to have those kinds of numbers on the team to be able to do that and props to that staff for getting kids their reps.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

[*]I never advocate running scores up on kids. I used that an example of how a coach should conduct himself when his team has the ability to trounce the other team. Athens though feels its ok to hang 80 on a team and that other teams should get better if don't like it. Show some restraint. Just because you can does t mean you should. I did t like hanging 36 not to mention 80+ !!!

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Viking96 wrote:[*]I never advocate running scores up on kids. I used that an example of how a coach should conduct himself when his team has the ability to trounce the other team. Athens though feels its ok to hang 80 on a team and that other teams should get better if don't like it. Show some restraint. Just because you can does t mean you should. I did t like hanging 36 not to mention 80+ !!!
Then what's your answer?

Should Athens have just punted the ball right back to Wellston?

How about snap the ball and run it back out the endzone for a safety and then keep doing that?

They ran the ball, they didn't do anything fancy. I gotta watch the replay. They just ran the ball and they had young kids in early.
Do you want them to play the 8th graders? The 5th 6th grade team ain't bad, how about throw them in so it doesn't look so bad.......

If Athens would have been throwing the ball all over the field in the second half I would have been upset, but they didn't.

I remember one year, Trimble went down to racine and put up 77 on Southern and threw the ball all over the field in the 4th quarter. No one outside of Southern complained.

I don't want to see the score get up that high, but you can't expect a team to take a knee 3 times and punt on every possession.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Orange and Brown wrote:
Viking96 wrote:[*]I never advocate running scores up on kids. I used that an example of how a coach should conduct himself when his team has the ability to trounce the other team. Athens though feels its ok to hang 80 on a team and that other teams should get better if don't like it. Show some restraint. Just because you can does t mean you should. I did t like hanging 36 not to mention 80+ !!!
Then what's your answer?

Should Athens have just punted the ball right back to Wellston?

How about snap the ball and run it back out the endzone for a safety and then keep doing that?

They ran the ball, they didn't do anything fancy. I gotta watch the replay. They just ran the ball and they had young kids in early.
Do you want them to play the 8th graders? The 5th 6th grade team ain't bad, how about throw them in so it doesn't look so bad.......

If Athens would have been throwing the ball all over the field in the second half I would have been upset, but they didn't.

I remember one year, Trimble went down to racine and put up 77 on Southern and threw the ball all over the field in the 4th quarter. No one outside of Southern complained.

I don't want to see the score get up that high, but you can't expect a team to take a knee 3 times and punt on every possession.

Good point, why do I care. Carry on Athens. You guys are really good .

Return to “Football”