Will Western Pike or South Webster ever have football?

mattash
Site Admin

Will Western Pike or South Webster ever have football?

Post by mattash »

With Eastern already having some success, will Webster or Western follow?

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
Hoopie74
SEOP

Re: Will Western Pike or South Webster ever have football?

Post by Hoopie74 »

Eastern Brown,Peebles are starting football next year. West Union and North Adams started last year..Its awfully hard to get football started.

GoBucks1047
JV Team

Post by GoBucks1047 »

I know South Webster had pee wee football for a bit, but I'm not sure if it's still going or not, but with their success in soccer, I doubt they add football. I think Western ought to try football since they currently don't offer any major boys fall sports (soccer and football) though it would be a bit of a challenge or a risk, but would be rewarded tremendously if it's successful. The Friday before the regular season starts, you could have Eastern, Western, Waverly, and Piketon host a Pike County jamboree or preview event at Waverly or Piketon every year like with how they do their Holiday Classic in basketball every year.

I also would like to see the SHAC add football to it's conference here soon if it can get its schools to sponsor the sport. If Peebles is starting football too, that'd be a nice 6-team football conference into their part of the area.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Love to see the SHAC have their own football Conference. I know a lot of people in Manchester love watching their Greyhounds.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

I have been surprised at the relatively quick success of the Beaver Eastern program. The community plus school administration and staff have displayed uncommon cooperation to get their program off to a competitive start. I would have thought numbers and being a basketball school would have been obstacles.
Long story short if the Beaver community can do it, so can Latham and the Western Indians. South Webster, seems satisfied with soccer.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Would Eastern have a football program if not for Tomlinson?

EPN
Freshman Team

Post by EPN »

Ironman92
To answer your question , my guess would b probably not, Coach Tomlinson put in a tremendous amount of time and effort in to getting the Eastern program up and running , Its actually amazing the early success that they have had It's a credit to him , his staff , and the players. The community, and administration have given the program tremendous support , but Coach Tomlinson was the one who made all this possible . Go Eagles!!!!

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

Omega wrote:I have been surprised at the relatively quick success of the Beaver Eastern program. The community plus school administration and staff have displayed uncommon cooperation to get their program off to a competitive start. I would have thought numbers and being a basketball school would have been obstacles.
Long story short if the Beaver community can do it, so can Latham and the Western Indians. South Webster, seems satisfied with soccer.

I agree omega. eastern got a great jump outta the gate. must be ran by quality people.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Western will be having a jr high team this coming fall

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Webster won't. They had a pee wee program for about 3 or 4 years back around 2005 to 2007. Great numbers and were pretty competitive. When those kids got to junior high, school told them they weren't going to back it (money was reason given). Bunch of good athletes then transferred to Minford, Burg, and East and their enrollment is just now recovering. Eastern Pike has shown a lot of small schools that it can be done. Congrats to them and good luck to Western, Peebles, Eastern Brown and any other school getting started.*

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

living in pike county now. it's kinda cool seeing a new small team team beginning. they are popular up here.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

I have to give South Webster administration and community a lot of credit. They made a commitment to the athletic program they already have and are not interested in spreading themselves to thin. It was a good decision for the kids and the community.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

I think there are a lot of people in South Webster that do want it, but surprisingly just as many who don't. The biggest problem with South Webster having football has always been about the M-O-N-E-Y! South Webster is always near the top in the state when it comes to academics. I've always heard the school is afraid to fund the hundreds of thousands of dollars for football in fear that it would jeopardize a few teachers jobs.

They'd have community support, they have great facilities, and they typically have the athletes most years to be competitive. However, there's little to no businesses in town. Donations are hard to come by. If someone came in with a donation in the couple hundred thousand dollar range, sure, I think it would work...... but those types of donors just don't live around South Webster.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Jeep-ster
Freshman Team

Post by Jeep-ster »

I thought someone did donate $ to get the pee wee started? If so, I doubt that would happen again. As for collecting donations, Webster is in a choice location. Just look at their basketball program. Have businesses from all the surround communities as well as Portsmouth, Oak hill & Jackson. I was told it comes down to $ for smaller districts. Have to pick one; soccer or football. As we all know soccer is way cheaper :)

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I may try to see one of their games this year. I go to church with folks from there.

tigercat1
Varsity

Post by tigercat1 »

I believe that the folks of Western are excited about the success that Eastern has had in starting the program and that will be fueling the build-up and momentum out around Latham. It is my understanding that if progress continues, high school football at Western is possible in the near future. I truly hope it is successful, as it will give the boys out there an opportunity to be involved in another fall sport.

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

I'm not sure football would be a good idea for the Western community. Western is a very small community and the financial strain football puts on small communities is not always a positive thing.

South Webster got it right. I think we will continue to see South Webster be one of the top academic and athletic schools in the area.

Hoggy
SEOP

Post by Hoggy »

EPN wrote:Ironman92
To answer your question , my guess would b probably not, Coach Tomlinson put in a tremendous amount of time and effort in to getting the Eastern program up and running , Its actually amazing the early success that they have had It's a credit to him , his staff , and the players. The community, and administration have given the program tremendous support , but Coach Tomlinson was the one who made all this possible . Go Eagles!!!!
Very good post about Coach Tomlinson's dedication and commitment. If it wasn't for this man's tenacity and all in approach.....this would have never happened. I only hope that the community and young men fully buy in and make this program grow stronger. He did what very few thought was possible.

Also, some recognition needs to be given to other area schools that assisted by donating items as well. It was nice to see that other schools were willing to assist as well and Scott is definitely the face of Eagle football. Thank you coach!

jeepmadness
JV Team

Post by jeepmadness »

Did eastern have a jr high football team this past year? (2016/2017)

If you want the right to complain you must be doing one of two things:
1. Doing your best to make yourself better
2. Doing something to make the world better

If you are not doing one of these things then shut your mouth!
rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

Webster won't have football anytime soon. Money is a reason but culturally football doesn't exist in the community and few really push to get a HS team.

Return to “Football”