What is your schools mascot & why did it take that name?

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

What is your schools mascot & why did it take that name?

Post by noreply66 »

list them

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
bbn77
All Conference

Re: What is your schools mascot & why did it take that name?

Post by bbn77 »

The lore I've been told is that before Chesapeake was founded, there was a single black panther that roamed the area. So when they built the school they named Chesapeake the Panthers.

ROLL PEAKE
Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Idk. Athens was formed in 1859. A little before my time

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

Oak Hill was named after the tall Oaks on the east end of town.

RHRedmenLive
Freshman Team

Post by RHRedmenLive »

Rock Hill was a consolidation in 1949 of Kitts "Hill", Hanging "Rock" and Pedro High schools. Making it Rock Hill from the former 2 and taking The Redmen nickname of Pedro high school...
Last edited by RHRedmenLive on Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RHRedmenLive
Freshman Team

Post by RHRedmenLive »

Decatur became part of the Rock Hill District in 1965. The official mascot of the Redmen is an Chieftain- Chief Wampum

Billy Hoyle
Waterboy

Post by Billy Hoyle »

Zane Trace was a consolidation of Centralia, Kingston, and Adelphi high schools. First graduating class was 1966. From what we were told back in the day, the frontiersman (Ebenezer?) Zane actually blazed a trail into what was the wilderness full of indians and such, and a national road at one time was named after him (Zane's Trace). Thus our mascot...the Pioneers.
Unioto's of course has very historical overtones also... World War I's Camp Sherman sat just north of Chillicothe roughly encompassing the area of the VA hospital, prison grounds, and the area the high school is now. And, of course, they are aptly named the Sherman Tanks.
Have found that with the obligatory and abundant animal mascots, so many schools have ones with very interesting historical significance... Potters, Ceramics, Tarblooders, Hilltoppers, Jeeps all come to mind. Great topic imo...

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS WAS MY HIGH SCHOOL. I HAVE NO IDEA HOW THEY CAME UP WITH THE NAME. ORIGINALLY JUST THE TIGERS , IF MEMORY SERVES ME CORRECT.

LIKELY BECAUSE TIGERS ARE FEARED, FIERCE, AND VICIOUS I'D SAY.

BE CURIOUS MYSELF TO FIND OUT WHY.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
mglight88
SE

Post by mglight88 »

If my memory is right, Minford went through 3 school name changes (Harrisonville; Minford Rural; Minford Local) I think before adopting the mascot "Falcons". It was a falcon that roosted on the flagpole of the previous high school turned middle/school that had Minford go with Falcons for the schools mascot.

dragonalum
Riding the Bench

Post by dragonalum »

When Rome & Proctorville consolidated, the students at the schools voted for the name and mascot.
The name was chosen because of the school's location beside the county fairgrounds. Not really sure if there's any significance to the mascot.
I've been told that one of the other options for the mascot included "Applemen" (because of the Rome Beauty apple).

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

Right around 1790, Joseph Frye and his band of merry men picked out a bend in The Muskingum River and built a fort. The school system in Beverly was eventually named "Fort Frye." "Cadets," follows naturally. If there is more to the name than that, rickoshay ought to know.

king kong
Freshman Team

Post by king kong »

Unioto is a combination of townships of Union and Scioto. They adopted the mascot Shermans after camp Sherman in Chillicothe in WW I and use the tank as the symbol.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Nelsonville-York is called the Buckeyes because when the schools consolidated, no one could agree on what to call the new school, so they went with the state nickname.

There was a contest to name the new mascot at each school because each school was told that neither's name could be used (Nelsonville Greyhounds, York Bruins).

Nelsonville voted to be the Nelsonville-York Patriots with team colors of red, white and blue.

York voted to be the Nelsonville-York Rebels with team colors scarlet (from Nelsonville) and blue (from York).

There was another option, I think it was the Nelsonville-York Spiders with team colors of black and white (I think I'm remembering that correctly), but neither school wanted that option.

It was so controversial that the new school board decided to take the state nickname, Buckeyes, as a way to name the team without either side winning or losing. The school colors were named brown and white. A few years later, orange was added as an official color as well as many thought that school uniforms for various sports teams, band, etc. were too bland with just brown and white. Orange was added to provide some color.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote:IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS WAS MY HIGH SCHOOL. I HAVE NO IDEA HOW THEY CAME UP WITH THE NAME. ORIGINALLY JUST THE TIGERS , IF MEMORY SERVES ME CORRECT.

In the early 1900's Ringling Brothers stopped their train in Ironton by the Depot. During the stop 3 tigers got loose. They made their way up to where around Wendy's is located. As people were hiding inside buildings. A few people climbed up light posts to get away. The workers were able to box them in. One worker got hurt when a tiger clawed his arm. The workers did use their whips and fresh meat to calm them down. As the workers were able to attach a leash to each side of the tigers color. So that two workers would be on each side of the tiger. To get them back to the train before Circus left town. Without the injured worker. Who had to stay in the hospital. He later stayed in Ironton for the rest of his life.

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

Wonder why they named them "Fighting" instead of just regular old Tigers? Maybe to be different from all the other Tiger teams or because the Tigers were fighting when they were being captured ? :lol:

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

farmer wrote:
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote:IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS WAS MY HIGH SCHOOL. I HAVE NO IDEA HOW THEY CAME UP WITH THE NAME. ORIGINALLY JUST THE TIGERS , IF MEMORY SERVES ME CORRECT.

In the early 1900's Ringling Brothers stopped their train in Ironton by the Depot. During the stop 3 tigers got loose. They made their way up to where around Wendy's is located. As people were hiding inside buildings. A few people climbed up light posts to get away. The workers were able to box them in. One worker got hurt when a tiger clawed his arm. The workers did use their whips and fresh meat to calm them down. As the workers were able to attach a leash to each side of the tigers color. So that two workers would be on each side of the tiger. To get them back to the train before Circus left town. Without the injured worker. Who had to stay in the hospital. He later stayed in Ironton for the rest of his life.
that's an amazing story. i'll have to go to the library n check that out. :?

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

That's a great story, but sadly worng about the Tigers. This comes from a great source so here goes:
Originally Ironton almost was called the Buckeyes and adopted scarlet and grey as the school colors. But decided on Tigers because it was a more fierce mascot.
But it wasn't until the 1967 football season when "Fighting" was added. Ironton was playing Waverly that week and when someone asked Bob Bruney about the game being the "battle of the Tigers". Bruney replied, "Yeah, but we're the 'Fighting' Tigers." And from that point on, Bruney always referred to them as that. And it stuck.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

that seems a bit more believable than ole farmers story. ---------------------- ACTUALLY IN 7TH GRADE WE HAD SCARLET N GRAY UNIFORMS AND WERE THE WARRIORS. then my 8th grade year they changed to the fighting tigers.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

My story came from a very dependable source. An ex animal trainer named Lucky. Lucky has just one leg, one arm and one eye from Fighting Tigers. Then again with all the fake news out there Tigercannon's version would be easier to sell. But if you see Lucky around he can sure tell you some stories. Just do not give him alcohol because he then starts making things up.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

anyone have a beer

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us

Return to “Football”