2017 Portsmouth West Senators

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Re: 2017 Portsmouth West Senators

Post by BigBlueNation »

farmer wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:02 pm
BigBlueNation wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:47 pm
farmer wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:23 pm Any news on former West Player Pendelton and the NFL? or what he is doing now?
He has a place called the Freak Factory. He is working out kids to help them be the best than can be and reach their full potential.
Great for him. I knew his college coaches thought he would go into coaching. This is a form of coaching. Great role model for kids and adults. Where is this place?
Duck run rd Luscasville. He has a Facebook page.

West Side Pride
All Conference

Post by West Side Pride »

How have they done in their passing tournaments?

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

West Side Pride wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:20 pm How have they done in their passing tournaments?
Talking to one of the players the other day. He said they done really well.

Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

Watched the Ironton scrimmage West had some players out but what has happened to the hard hitting West teams of the past? Good luck this year West needs a good season!

bassmaster-6604
Waterboy

Post by bassmaster-6604 »

I also watched the game and you are correct Gameday, they didn't hit very well. They looked like they were trying to hit with their hands. The O line stood up and didn't fire off ball. The backs were getting hit before they could get started. I watched these kids when they were freshmen and they would hit !!!!! Don't know what has happened but if they don't go back to hitting they will have a long year again. The first QB has a great arm and usually very accurate but looked off Friday. The second one looked very good running and only threw a cpl times but was on time and accurate. The 1st Qb wouldn't tuck the ball and run, when he did he would run forward 3 yards then backwards 5. They should win some games though.

Alitown
Freshman Team

Post by Alitown »

bassmaster-6604 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:24 pm I also watched the game and you are correct Gameday, they didn't hit very well. They looked like they were trying to hit with their hands. The O line stood up and didn't fire off ball. The backs were getting hit before they could get started. I watched these kids when they were freshmen and they would hit !!!!! Don't know what has happened but if they don't go back to hitting they will have a long year again. The first QB has a great arm and usually very accurate but looked off Friday. The second one looked very good running and only threw a cpl times but was on time and accurate. The 1st Qb wouldn't tuck the ball and run, when he did he would run forward 3 yards then backwards 5. They should win some games though.
I haven't seen west play this year, but I think this is the direction football is going in general. Coaches are having to teach kids to avoid the big hits. Kids are now taught to put their helmet behind the runner and roll instead of head infront and wrap up. They are basically having to teach arm tackling now. When you crack block now you have to lead with you hands or it's now a penalty. It all comes down to concussions protocol and the way the game is evolving.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Rugby tackling. Ohio State teaches it. Rules are different for football now. Very little hitting in practice. Spread is changing the game. Tackling in space is the key.

Peewee, middle school, and freshmen success means little with varsity. Couple years ago Kirtland won the State Championship. They said they went winless as freshmen. Hard work and attitude means everything. Some grow and develop, some are mature in middle school. Some don't hit a spurt till they are juniors.

Senior class is a good class as are the juniors. Senior class has lost a few players. Probably the best athlete decided to concentrate on basketball. He tried football last year and broke his colarbone. Quarterback transferred. Couple others decided not to play. Actually some of the better seniors weren't big contributors when they were younger.

Most of the starters on the team are juniors. They are good and should get a couple more back soon. Quarterback will improve. He's just a junior and played really well before a season ending injury last year. Human nature to be a little rusty.

bassmaster-6604
Waterboy

Post by bassmaster-6604 »

I hope West has a break out year, they have been down for a few years now. They always had a lot of hard nosed kids and competed in every game. They have the kids to have a great season.

IronTough2
Riding the Bench

Post by IronTough2 »

Just an observation from the West vs. Jackson Freshmen/Sophomore game Monday West has some size and ability. Saw some good hits and plays made on both sides. Turned out a one score ballgame with Jackson winning 7-0. Both defenses played the run very well. Pretty fun game to watch. Good luck to West this season!

Return to “Football”