9/22 H Williamsburg
9/29 A West Portsmouth Portsmouth West
10/6 H Logan
10/13 H Wheelersburg
10/20 A Waverly
10/27 H Lucasville Valley

NewEra
All Conference
Location: Hickory, Indiana - I know everything there is to know about the greatest game ever invented.

Re: 2017 Minford Falcons

Post by NewEra »

What's new? Been hearing of a lot of changes on the staff? Heresay or truth?

Alitown
Freshman Team

Post by Alitown »

I know Luke Keller will be the strength and conditioning coach, and will be helping with the LBs

Hitman74
Waterboy

Post by Hitman74 »

who are the changes? been out of town for a while and how are they looking this up coming seaseon?

mglight88
SE

Post by mglight88 »

bump

FalconFever02
Freshman Team

Post by FalconFever02 »

With Matiz now defensive coordinator at Portsmouth , what is the staff at Minford looking like ? Who is DC, calling plays, etc? Hoping the Falcons can get off the schneid and make the playoffs again. Football just hasn't been the same in Minford the last couple years, weak crowds often emotionless, small and football plagued with mediocrity and mental mistakes.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

The freshman group this year were pretty darn amazing in Jr. High. The QB was a stellar athlete and talent. I'd be surprised if he didn't start somewhere this season. Minford has plenty of reasons to be optimistic and should be excited. Did the freshman group ever lose a game in football or basketball while in Jr. High?

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

I dont think they lost a game in Jr High. Very good QB and receivers. I'm not sure if they will be ready to see the field this year at the varsity level, but they are an impressive group coming up.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

toast wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:40 pm The freshman group this year were pretty darn amazing in Jr. High. The QB was a stellar athlete and talent. I'd be surprised if he didn't start somewhere this season. Minford has plenty of reasons to be optimistic and should be excited. Did the freshman group ever lose a game in football or basketball while in Jr. High?
I put 0 stock in junior high. One big hairy kid or two is all you need to run the table.

NewEra
All Conference
Location: Hickory, Indiana - I know everything there is to know about the greatest game ever invented.

Post by NewEra »

Alitown wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:41 am I know Luke Keller will be the strength and conditioning coach, and will be helping with the LBs
Anyone know the full staff?

toast
All State

Post by toast »

[/quote]

I put 0 stock in junior high. One big hairy kid or two is all you need to run the table.
[/quote]

I'd put a lot more stock in Jr. High than 0. Too many times I've seen a Jr. High group excel in football and go on to do very well in high school. Especially if you have back to back classes that are successful. Granted there are exceptions.

The freshman group from Minford is not just big and strong. They're extremely athletic and talented. They'll do fine at the high school level.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

toast wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:55 pm
[/quote]

I'd put a lot more stock in Jr. High than 0. Too many times I've seen a Jr. High group excel in football and go on to do very well in high school. Especially if you have back to back classes that are successful. Granted there are exceptions.

The freshman group from Minford is not just big and strong. They're extremely athletic and talented. They'll do fine at the high school level.
[/quote]

I've seen a few Jr high teams dominate in Jr high and not be that good in high school. I have also seen not so good Jr high teams be pretty good in highschool.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

toast wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:55 pm
[/quote]

[/quote]

Burgs last year seniors junior high team won maybe 2 games in junior high and the juniors last year weren't that much better. There is no indication of success as high schoolers from a junior high football team. When they are big and strong, it probably means they are older or hit puberty.

Oak
Freshman Team

Post by Oak »

How many players on last year's burg team didn't have a chance to help them win in middle school because they were playing somewhere else?

NewEra
All Conference

Post by NewEra »

Oak wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:41 pm How many players on last year's burg team didn't have a chance to help them win in middle school because they were playing somewhere else?
Oh boy, here we go. Also the Minford football coaching staff must be top secret.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Minford has been known in the past to play big strong more mature kids at running back in Jr. High knowing that those kids won't be in the backfield in high school. There is nothing wrong with that but it is hard to determine future success when you have 250lb kids trying to be tackled by 100lb kids. Those 250lb kids often end up being 250lb linemen in high school and those 100lb kids end up being 165-185lb skill athletes

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Oak wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:41 pm How many players on last year's burg team didn't have a chance to help them win in middle school because they were playing somewhere else?
For seniors I believe it's 0.
For juniors it would be two I think but one that actually played significant minutes.

That's not the argument here. It's that junior high is not a measuring tool of your varsity. Neither is jv or freshman for that matter.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

NewEra wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:24 am
Oh boy, here we go. Also the Minford football coaching staff must be top secret.
I've heard a few names but I only recognized ruby and Frazie. A kid I know plays there thinks they are pretty good. He seems to like them.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

"Burgs last year seniors junior high team won maybe 2 games in junior high and the juniors last year weren't that much better. There is no indication of success as high schoolers from a junior high football team. When they are big and strong, it probably means they are older or hit puberty."

Waverly's seniors last year were one of the strongest groups we've had come through in many years. I'll check but I believe Burg beat them in both 7th and 8th grade. This years seniors are also a strong group for Waverly. They did beat Burg in OT in 7th grade and then got shoutout by Burg in 8th grade.

Those are the best back to back classes Waverly has had come through in quite a while and the reason we went 9-1 and made the playoffs last year. Those same two classes from Wheelersburg were pretty darn good!

Valley recently had a class come through that dominated in Jr. high. I don't believe they lost a game. They went on to win the SOC a couple times while in high school. Of course you can find exceptions. And to be fair you would probably have to look at three or four classes in a row to gage high school success. But quality of players and success at the Jr. high level does matter.

Back to the original thought. Minford has several high quality football players in the freshman class. They will make a huge impact. Numbers are low for that group so they will need significant help from the classes around them. It will be interesting watching them proceed through high school. They're good on the basketball court as well.

Return to “Football”