2017 Minford Falcons

falcon1
Varsity

Re: 2017 Minford Falcons

Post by falcon1 »

It will be interesting to see, with all the coaching changes what this year will bring. The loss of the dc will be a big impact i believe.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

falcon1 wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:33 am It will be interesting to see, with all the coaching changes what this year will bring. The loss of the dc will be a big impact i believe.
I agree on the loss of the dc he is a great coach. You can't really blame him for going back to his alma mater.

BondRoad Bandit
Freshman Team

Post by BondRoad Bandit »

The team had a 7o 7 Saturday at Zane trace and from what I herard did really well they have a 7on7 tonight and Thursday at valley starting at 6

falcon1
Varsity

Post by falcon1 »

Any more 7on7`s ?

Hitman74
Waterboy

Post by Hitman74 »

How did they do at the Valley 7on7 and what all teams was there

BondRoad Bandit
Freshman Team

They had a passing camp Wednesday night at Chesapeake with just those 2 teams and they looked pretty decent against a team with a lot of speed both teams worked for what they earned but 2 a days start Monday the real season starts then good luck to the team. I also heard the team is really liking the new coaching staff a lot of excitement and competition.

falcon1
Varsity

Post by falcon1 »

I think the 2nd game of the season will tell a lot about this team and all the changes. :ugeek:

BondRoad Bandit
Freshman Team

The first game will tell a lot Rock hill will be well coached but I agree the Second game will be a tell all but the boys seem really bought in with the new message of the staff no one on the staff will expect less than 100% from the boys and from the ones I've talked too they really have bought in this year.

Hitman74
Waterboy

Post by Hitman74 »

How did they look in the first scrimmage?

Alitown
Freshman Team

Post by Alitown »

Hitman74 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:26 am How did they look in the first scrimmage?
I think minford can match any team in the SOC with skill players. They looked to have a lot of good receivers. Their biggest problem are offensive and defensive line. I think the potential for both lines is there. They looked to have good size and speed, just lack fundamentals. On Defense there LBs really impressed me. I'm not from Minford so I don't know their names, but overall their LBs seemed to find the ball really well. The coaches are going to have a tough decision when it comes to qb. Both played really well. The one is a freak athlete and busted a long run for a TD. The other throws the ball a lot better and made some very impressive reads. I think their best QB won't even see the field this year as he's only a freshman. That kid can play and is one to keep an eye on in the future.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

I think the Kelly kid proved he is the best QB right now. The freshman will get there but he isn't ready right now. I thought they had him playing slot receiver with varsity during the scrimmage but I might be wrong as they had several double numbers since they wore practice jerseys.

I believe a couple of bigger lineman weren't there Friday night due to fair/livestock responsibilities. They definitely need to get better up front.

Overall it looked like a big improvement from last season. It's a tough schedule this year, so we will see how things play out.

Better view of how good they are this week vs Fairland. Piketon didn't appear to be very good Friday night.

king kong
Freshman Team

Post by king kong »

Bleeding Red wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:23 pm Better view of how good they are this week vs Fairland. Piketon didn't appear to be very good Friday night.
Lets go to the tape, shall we. 1st possession, Piketon 10 plays, 6 running for 23 yards, 3 for 3 passing for 37 yards, and 6 yards scramble. Minford 1st possession, 5 carries, for 70 yards (60 yard td run), passing 2 for 4 for 8 yards and 2 yards on scramble.

Piketon 2nd possession, 5 carries 35 yards, passing 2 for 5 for 24 yards. Had the ball on the 3 yard line, ran out of plays. Minfords 2nd possession, 5 carries for 20 yards, had a holding penalty early in possession, passing 1 for 4 for 8 yards, 1 sack for minus 7 and a 4 yard scramble.

Now, my stats might not be 100% as I was writing them down as they happened, but I dont see a not very good team in Piketon! lol Minford had 1 carry over 8 yards, and that was the long TD. Piketon had several over 10 and consistently moved the ball 5 to 6 yards a carry.

Piketons front line on both sides of the ball controlled the LOS, which is IMO, the biggest factor in building a quality team. Piketon started a soph QB, and had several kids in skill positions that are new.

Alitown
Freshman Team

Post by Alitown »

I don't believe Kelly separated himself at all. He's definitely the better athlete but i wouldn't say he's the better quarterback. I think with the offense Minford is running Kelly is a better fit right now because of all the read options they run. The problem is they were not able to run at all on piketon. The offensive line was much better on pass blocking but they really struggled running the ball. If they get down in a ball game and need to start throwing the ball I think they will have to make a switch. If the linemen that were not there make a big difference and Minford is able to get a good push upfront then I agree that Kelly should be the starting QB

toast
All State

Post by toast »

King Kong: Thanks for the stats. I do have a question. According to your numbers Piketon ran the ball 11 times during their first two possessions for 58 yards. An average of a little over 5 yards a run. Not bad. But you went on to say they had several runs over 10 yards and consistently moved the ball 5 to 6 yards. So am I correct in assuming those runs over 10 yards came later in the scrimmage? Thanks!

Alitown
Freshman Team

Post by Alitown »

toast wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:12 pm King Kong: Thanks for the stats. I do have a question. According to your numbers Piketon ran the ball 11 times during their first two possessions for 58 yards. An average of a little over 5 yards a run. Not bad. But you went on to say they had several runs over 10 yards and consistently moved the ball 5 to 6 yards. So am I correct in assuming those runs over 10 yards came later in the scrimmage? Thanks!
I could be wrong but I believe each team had the ball 2 times on down and distance. Piketons first time they threw an INT on like the 2nd or 3rd play. Their second series they went 3 and out. Minford scored both times on the down and distance. After that both teams started letting the younger kids play

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Down and distance, Minford looked good and Piketon did not. Thus I said Piketon wasn't a good test.

GoAt 10
JV Team

Post by GoAt 10 »

What time does the Jamboree game with Fairland start?

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

GoAt 10 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:28 am What time does the Jamboree game with Fairland start?

I believe 7pm

Return to “Football”