9/22 A Gallipolis Gallia Academy
9/29 H Coal Grove Dawson-Bryant
10/6 H Chesapeake
10/13 A Proctorville Fairland
10/20 H South Point
10/27 A Ironton

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Re: 2017 Portsmouth Trojans

Post by trojandave »

As usual, defense needs to be the main focus of the 2017 Portsmouth Trojans and is the unit that needs the most improvement. 5 times last year the Trojan defense gave up more than 40 points. Porous defense has plagued this program for virtually an entire decade. Offensively PHS has done very well considering the 30-60 record over the past 9 years. The Trojan offense the last 3 years has averaged over 25 PPG, yet the overall record has been well below .500 because of a leaky defense.

Portsmouth will also have to find a QB to replace Luke Purdy, who had a very good senior season and was a playmaker with his arm and feet. Right now, there is a lot of uncertainty as to who will inherit the position, which could present a problem of inexperience at that all-important spot. Talyn Parker ran for over 1,300 yards last year as a freshmen, and most of the O-line is back to open up holes for him. WR Ryan Williams will have to be replaced after graduating, and that is another key position that has question marks. The Trojans will also have to find a placekicker and punter who is dependable every week.

The 2016 Portsmouth Trojans beat 3 teams that were 0-9 going into their last game (Gallia Academy, South Point, and Valley). Rock Hill was the only team with a winning record that PHS defeated. Portsmouth did take a step forward overall, but there are several key positions in which there are question marks at this point. If the defense doesn't improve, PHS will be challenged to match last year's record. It's doubtful that 3 of Portsmouth's opponents will be 0-9 going into the last game of the season in 2017.

GO TROJANS!!!
Last edited by trojandave on Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Football on the river doesn't seem to be football unless Portsmouth is in the thick of things.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Where is Galion?

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

mattash wrote:Where is Galion?
Just west of Mansfield.

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

with experience up front and a proven RB,as long as we are healthy I feel the offense will be ok, I did see improvement in some areas on defense, we are tackling better, but still were having troublegetting to the ball carrier and covering receivers, lots of work needed up front and in the secondary...Lets Go Trojans

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

Ready for August to get here! Anyone know who might possibly step in at QB?

Who Dey!
PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

Since I didn't get an answer I will post what I know. I heard some rumors about a kid who transferred in after this past basketball season from a school in KY. Rumors are he's pretty good, big kid too I hear. Can anyone confirm?

Who Dey!
Noitall
JV Team

Post by Noitall »

PTrojan59 wrote: Sun May 07, 2017 7:13 pm Since I didn't get an answer I will post what I know. I heard some rumors about a kid who transferred in after this past basketball season from a school in KY. Rumors are he's pretty good, big kid too I hear. Can anyone confirm?
Isaac Kelly from Lewis county great athlete 6"3 200 pound ,3 sport athlete but did not get here in time for baseball, a legit zQB can throw and run.

Not confirmed yet but my neice goes to chillicothe and rumor at school is a great athlete there, family is moving to Portsmouth, also 3 sport athlete

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

Thanks for the info Noitall, I have heard good things about Kelly. I'm all for kids wanting to transfer in, we haven't had many of those in the past several years.

Who Dey!
PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

The possibility of having 2 of JoJo Parkers boys on the team is super intriguing. Have heard good things have been happening over the summer. Can't wait for the team to get together, it's getting close!

Who Dey!
Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

it's not gonna feel right not playin the trojans this yr in wk 3. that has been a series for as long as i can remember. hopefully one day the series will renew with the intensity of the 90's and early 00's

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

The Trojans gave up 32 PPG last year, and scored 27 PPG. Just reversing those numbers will mean a winning season and possibly a playoff berth. With the additions of Kelly at QB and Dionte Parker at WR, with most of the O-line back, and a very talented Talyn Parker at RB, the offense could be one of the best in the SE district.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Portsmouth averages 35-40 PPG on offense with all the talent and experience they have. They will be times, though, that the defense must get critical stops. For almost a decade, that hasn't been the case.

I am one Trojan fan and alumnus that wants to see Wheelersburg back on the schedule sometime soon.

GO TROJANS!!!

Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

Sounds like they may have a chance to win the OVC.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

I also want Burg back on the schedule. Maybe after a few competitive seasons the rivalry can be renewed. Really looking forward to seeing the offense Dave, points should come in bunches. Any truth to the rumor of a new defensive coordinator for the Trojans?

Who Dey!
trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

PTrojan59: Josh Matiz is the new defensive coordinator for the Trojans. A former QB for PHS, Matiz has a tough job ahead of him, but perhaps a change in DC's will help the Trojan stop troops. I talked to him yesterday along with Coach Duncan, and I told him if we can hold opponents to just 1 TD less per game (25 PPG as opposed to 32 PPG last season), it will be a very good year for the Red and Blue.

An OVC title and playoff berth are absolutely realistic goals for the Trojans in 2017. Ironton has ruled the conference the first couple of years, but I just can't see the Fighting Tigers or any other OVC team having more talent than PHS, especially on offense. The conference title may come down to the last game of the season when the Trojans travel to Tank Stadium to battle Ironton. Playoff positioning may be on the line as well, with the loser maybe having to face Wheelersburg in the first round, assuming that the Pirates will be at #1 after week 10.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

Thanks Dave, had heard we had brought a coach in from Minford but wanted to confirm. He will have his work cut out for him, but just a little improvement can go a long way, with the offense being able to put up points in bunches any improvement from last years defense could make a possible playoff birth a reality.

Who Dey!
Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Matiz made the right choice of joining his alma matter and I am sure he will bring a new philosophy to the defense. Really hated losing him at Minford, but nobody can blame him for going to PHS.

Portsmouth always has the athletes, they just lack the football players. It seems the early 2000s was the last really competitive football team that was both athletic and tough.

Good luck this year. Hopefully Portsmouth can bring the OVC ball to Scioto Co.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

mattash wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:41 pmWhere is Galion?

https://www.mapquest.com/directions/fro ... -282035178

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best

Return to “Football”