2017 Portsmouth Trojans

Noitall
JV Team

Re: 2017 Portsmouth Trojans

Post by Noitall »

ptown can't beat bug in football and bug cant beat ptown in basketball, bug should drop ptown in basketball

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Wheelersburg is on Portsmouth's basketball schedule for the 2017-2018. Got to give the WHS athletic administration credit for keeping the Trojans on their hoops schedule, when it would have been fully understandable if they had to decided to drop PHS in basketball.

I don't have the exact football series numbers, maybe someone does, but Wheelersburg has about a 24-10 advantage on the gridiron. In basketball, Portsmouth has won 11 of the last 12 and leads the series 23-17. The Pirates, though, have been much more competitive in basketball against the Trojans than PHS has against the Burg in football. The only Pirate win during the 12 game stretch was a 45-42 win at the sectional in Jackson in 2013. Dylan Miller hit a 3 pointer at the buzzer. There have been a number of close games, one of which came last year when PHS won 77-75. Caden Coleman of WHS was a one man wrecking crew, scoring 39 points.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Watched optional workouts the other day at Trojan Coliseum and about 45 kids were there, which is a good turnout considering some are on vacations with their families. From what I'm hearing the Trojans will have a total of about 60 kids when official practice begins in August. From what I witnessed, I really like the enthusiasm of new DC Josh Matiz. The workouts were very upbeat and the kids were putting out a lot of effort. Portsmouth should have a little more depth this year which is very important considering that injuries will unfortunately occur at some point.

Apparently there is a new rule in high school football this year in which faceguarding is allowed on a receiver as long as there's no contact, of course. That rule change should really help corners and safeties.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

Wow 60 kids, haven't seen Portsmouth have those numbers in some time, great to hear. The season is creeping up fellas!

Who Dey!
trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Watched practice for about a half hour and counted around 50 kids, which is up slightly from previous years. I did notice that QB Isaac Kelly has a really strong arm, and that he will have some good athletes to throw to. One of the kids jumped offside in a line drill and that prompted the coaches to make all the linemen do push ups. Love the enthusiasm that new DC Josh Matiz brings to the program. Didn't stay long enough to see if Portsmouth will have a reliable kicker, but rest assured that at some point of the season we will need a field goal, extra point, or long kickoff at a crucial point in a game. Defensively, if the Trojans can allow just one TD less than last season (25 as opposed to 32 PPG), they will give themselves an excellent chance to beat anyone on their schedule, because the offense should average at least 35 PPG.

If the Trojans can stay healthy, and that is true for any team, the talent is there to have a really good season, and possibly top the best record in the last decade (2007, 7-3), and first playoff berth since 2007, when they lost to Newark Licking Heights 42-34 at New Albany. PHS did record a 7-3 season about 4 years ago, winning at Western Brown the final game, but barely missed out on the playoffs. With Wheelersburg not on the schedule, replaced with a road game at Galion, an 8-2 or even a 9-1 record is very possible. The OVC title could very well come down to the last game of the season, when Portsmouth travels to Tank Stadium to battle Ironton. Playoff positioning could also be on the line as well.

GO TROJANS!!!

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

Good to hear that Dave, I'm hoping to make it down to the midnight madness if possible. Looking forward to seeing the team.

Who Dey!
PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

Wasn't able to make it to midnight madness. How did the team look?

Who Dey!
ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Wow, Galion is a little bit of a haul. If I don't make it home to see my Fighting Tigers, I'll have to go see and root for the Trojans since I'm only 12 miles from Galion. The Galion Tigers are coming off a 2-8 season.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

PTrojan59: I didn't go to midnight madness.......it really meant nothing to me........and the scrimmages don't really mean anything either, other than staying injury free. I am planning on going, though, to the OVC preview and the jamboree game vs. Waverly.......better than just sitting at home.

Regardless of how the Trojans look in scrimmages, the real test will start on opening night vs. Valley. Portsmouth has to prove themselves in the regular season, not the preseason.

GO TROJANS!!

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

looking forward to ironton/Portsmouth preview.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

You're Tiger Bait: You may be looking forward to it, but it really means nothing at all as to how the two teams will fare. Hopefully both the Trojans and Fighting Tigers will come out injury free.

We beat Ironton in last year's preview, and then look how the regular season game came out.......a 43-28 win by Ironton at Portsmouth.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth defeated Ironton 14-7 in the OVC preview at Trojan Coliseum on Saturday night. QB Isaac Kelly looks to be a real impact player for the Trojans this season, while Talyn Parker is primed to have a breakout year at TB. The defense looked more physical but has to be better at tackling at first contact. Kicking extra points is a big concern, and at some point the Trojans will have to make a kick from somewhere at some point of the season. Overall, though, I really believe this is an improved football team, but I am basing that claim on a small sample size, albeit against a respectable Ironton team.

Based on what I saw at the OVC preview, and I watched all 4 contests, the Trojans have an excellent chance to go 8-2 or 9-1 and be in the hunt for the OVC title. It's not a reach to say that the 2017 Trojans will be better than the 2016 6-4 edition.

Moses Guthrie
Varsity

Post by Moses Guthrie »

With Coach Josh Matiz on the PHS staff as defensive coordinator, it is apparent that the "D" will be extremely stingy to opposing offenses. I don't foresee many shootouts with teams as in previous years. This Trojan team is poised to right the ship, removing the defensive label of soft or porous and replacing it with strong and determined. Senior leadership will help guide and motivate the 2017 Trojans. Coach Duncan and staff will provide the Trojans with a game plan to win each and every week. It will be up to this talented group to execute. This could be an exciting year for the Trojan faithful.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Missed the jamboree game last night due to running a half marathon in Parkersburg, but biggdowgg filled me in on the details. Very encouraged to hear good reports about the defense. Waverly has a top notch QB in Clayton Howell, and some experienced receivers as well. Tayln Parker had another outstanding game, and Isaac Kelly is proving to be dangerous either with his feet or arm. Also good to hear that the Trojans made a couple of extra point kicks.

It looks as if new DC Josh Matiz is making quite a difference with the PHS defense. If that unit can hold opponents to 20-25 PPG, there's not one team on the schedule that Portsmouth can't beat. An outstanding season is there for the taking for this Trojan team, and hopefully the talent and a renewed optimism will mesh together to produce those results.

GO TROJANS!!

Nut
Riding the Bench

Post by Nut »

Trojans are looking pretty good. Looks like the fight is back everyone is buying in to the new defense, the line is blowing holes wide open and Isaac Kelly is a difference maker at qb and safety. If everyone stays healthy I look for them to decide the OVC IN THE LAST GAME OF THE SEASON. Go Trojans

dontreply
Freshman Team

Post by dontreply »

Hear the Trojan's been out recruiting from all over even outta state

callie15
Varsity

Post by callie15 »

May be, they will get good enough to play more local county teams.

Oak
Freshman Team

Post by Oak »

dontreply wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:06 am Hear the Trojan's been out recruiting from all over even outta state
Seems like it

But I can tell you with 100% certainty it is happening at the middle school level. I won't mention names, but its easy to figure out. A certain guy coached the middle school basketball team at Shawnee State. He is also associated with the middle school football team. There are certain rules with 8th graders if you aren't familiar. 1 is you aren't allowed more than 10 days of practices or games in the summer. Well they practice way more than that. That's one thing, but to openly ask kids from other schools to come and practice there then play on the team in the games is another. I could go into more detail but it needs to stop.

js7_22
Varsity

Post by js7_22 »

Recruiting? What could Portsmouth offer to these the kids or parents? I do not defend PHS nor have I ever, but to believe they are out on a recruiting mission is a bit too much.

Oak, if you have the proof, put it out there. I don't see why hiding it helps anyone. It only makes it look like you are just saying you know stuff...

Nut
Riding the Bench

Post by Nut »

So they are recruiting? Lol they brought one of Joe Joe parkers son in and brought Isaac Kelly in from Lewis county who was tired of being beat up every year. Sounds like you're a drama queen to me who likes to start poop. Let the kids play and have fun.

Return to “Football”