Thought you might find this interesting. MAC football

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Re: Thought you might find this interesting. MAC football

Post by Raider6309 »

Good article for D5-D7 but D1-D4 you better recruit
Last edited by Raider6309 on Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Trimble is probably the closest team to the MAC in our area. Phil seems to get the best out of what he has

king kong
Freshman Team

Post by king kong »

Wow, put up rules on a powerpoint on the wall and you to can win a Paper Tiger State Championship! lol Thats like saying the country of Vietnam with a little over 5 million members in its military should invade Russia who has just 3 million in its active, and reserve units! It would be an easy victory right?

big medicine
Waterboy

Post by big medicine »

I thought this might generate more conversation than this with the coaches comments affirming some posters previous theories as to the MAC's success being partially due to parental and community stability and support.

May be more applicable to small school ball, but I think reference to going back and retouching fundamentals as needed is sound at all levels. The Athens State Champion game a few years ago comes to mind. I believe I have seen as good, or better, form tackling at some 7th grade girls basketball games than what was displayed in that game.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

big medicine wrote:I thought this might generate more conversation than this with the coaches comments affirming some posters previous theories as to the MAC's success being partially due to parental and community stability and support.

May be more applicable to small school ball, but I think reference to going back and retouching fundamentals as needed is sound at all levels. The Athens State Champion game a few years ago comes to mind. I believe I have seen as good, or better, form tackling at some 7th grade girls basketball games than what was displayed in that game.
42-7

Remember that Ursuline team only had 2 D1 athletes and your taking shots at a team with 5 :roll:

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

I thought this might generate more conversation than this with the coaches comments affirming some posters previous theories as to the MAC's success being partially due to parental and community stability and support.

Familial stability (and the financial stability -- not necessarily wealth, just stability) and population density are big factors, I think, starting in about D-IV football. They certainly help teams to be CONSISTENTLY good, especially when compared the teams they face off against on a year-to-year basis.

Generally, I think that every district has roughly the same percentage number of kids who could contribute. The above two factors help determine how many of those kids you can get into and keep in the program.

Example
D7 Trimble -- the district is 39 square miles
D6 Federal Hocking -- 207
D7 Waterford -- 74
D7 Southern Racine -- 80
D7 Eastern Meigs -- 116
D7 Southern (Miller High School) -- 87
D7 South Gallia -- Hard to determine, but if it is just 1/4 of the Gallia County Schools' total area... it is 95 square miles!
D7 Belpre -- 21
D7 Symmes Valley -- 150 (How much of the district is Wayne National?)

Mind you...

1. Once you get them out there, you still have to coach them to maximize their success...
2. Square mileage and population density numbers can be misleading, such as the case when your district (Western Ohio) has a lot of farm land and the population is actually denser than it would initially seem.

Other thoughts?

big medicine
Waterboy

Post by big medicine »

Raider6309 wrote:
big medicine wrote:I thought this might generate more conversation than this with the coaches comments affirming some posters previous theories as to the MAC's success being partially due to parental and community stability and support.

42-7

Remember that Ursuline team only had 2 D1 athletes and your taking shots at a team with 5 :roll:

To the best of my knowledge the only time my Alma mater, Marion Local, has played Ursuline was in the 07 DV State Championship game. Marion won that 20-14. No idea how many D1 athletes participated in that game.

big medicine
Waterboy

Post by big medicine »

king kong wrote:Wow, put up rules on a powerpoint on the wall and you to can win a Paper Tiger State Championship! lol Thats like saying the country of Vietnam with a little over 5 million members in its military should invade Russia who has just 3 million in its active, and reserve units! It would be an easy victory right?

Not sure about the paper tiger reference here. You do realize that the two coaches in the article represent a combined 15 State Championships, won on the field. In fact the MAC, over the last 5 years, has put 13 teams into the championship game, winning 10 of those games. The conference as a whole has 31 State football championships, (not counting an additional 5 won by Versailles before joining the MAC ), won on the field, with 7 of the 10 conference members represented.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

He's saying the MAC schools would get embarrassed by D3 and D1 schools. Boys vs Men. I would be scared for Coldwater if they played a team like Akron Hoban

Return to “Football”