Enrollment Numbers

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Enrollment Numbers

Post by Ironman92 »

GoBucks1047 wrote:Yeah, 1st time around, there were some numbers off, but most of those were corrected and appears to present 3 times as many numbers that appear to be way off. I'm sure many schools will be appealing to OHSAA about their huge increase in numbers.
Maybe that's their funding numbers :D

nice guy
Varsity

Post by nice guy »

Zane Trace looks pretty close. 205
They have a huge freshman class of boys that will probably make them D4 Football, D2 Basketball and Baseball for two years.

lancer1
Waterboy

Post by lancer1 »

TVC-Hocking-----Boys----Girls
Belpre-------------123-----107
Eastern------------96-----106
Fed Hock---------119----104
Miller------------- 82------74
Southern----------87------92
South Gallia----- 80-------74
Trimble ---------- 95------86
Waterford --------78------88
*Wahama* 246 total enrollment

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

I am very surprised to see Trimble at 95 & 86, especially since that puts them as being smaller than Eastern. I know for Trimble that's a little bit of a decline, I believe, but have they always been smaller than Eastern?

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

formerfcfan wrote:I am very surprised to see Trimble at 95 & 86, especially since that puts them as being smaller than Eastern. I know for Trimble that's a little bit of a decline, I believe, but have they always been smaller than Eastern?
Trimble has always been small. Trimble is a pretty small school district in square miles compared to the rest of seo. Most people don't realize Athens line is about 3 miles from Trimble High School. But school district lines are weird. Part of East State Street goes to Federal Hocking

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

formerfcfan wrote:I am very surprised to see Trimble at 95 & 86, especially since that puts them as being smaller than Eastern. I know for Trimble that's a little bit of a decline, I believe, but have they always been smaller than Eastern?
The post on the previous page shows that Trimble was 87 and 66, so the new numbers are an increase.

ravensfan9
Riding the Bench

Post by ravensfan9 »

It's sad to see how far enrollments have dropped in southeast Ohio.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

it certainly is. too many fine folks having to leave our area to find work.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
route7
Freshman Team

Post by route7 »

Eastern's enrollment is on the rise. Some changes were made a couple years ago and things are getting back on track. Lots of kids moving into the district. One of the best schools education wise in the TVC

TVC
Varsity

Post by TVC »

Raider6309 wrote:
Trimble has always been small. Trimble is a pretty small school district in square miles compared to the rest of seo. Most people don't realize Athens line is about 3 miles from Trimble High School. But school district lines are weird. Part of East State Street goes to Federal Hocking
Agree district lines are usually by township lines and they are strange. Meigs high school is 1 mile from Easterns district in one direction and 1 mile from Southerns district in another direction.

8332 Granite St
JV Team

Post by 8332 Granite St »

When will this be set in stone? Just waiting to see if Burg moves up or not. Of course Div.5 is tough look what happened when Bishop Hartley moved up to Div. 4 they won state mostly I think because no Coldwater in their way.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

8332 Granite St wrote:When will this be set in stone? Just waiting to see if Burg moves up or not. Of course Div.5 is tough look what happened when Bishop Hartley moved up to Div. 4 they won state mostly I think because no Coldwater in their way.
schools have until the 24th to appeal so sometime in early march there will be numbers. Then They will have to add the multiplier for competitive balance for football. then come up with the new cutoffs and figure out divisions and regions we will be lucky to know by june may be later.

8332 Granite St
JV Team

Post by 8332 Granite St »

svac83 wrote:
8332 Granite St wrote:When will this be set in stone? Just waiting to see if Burg moves up or not. Of course Div.5 is tough look what happened when Bishop Hartley moved up to Div. 4 they won state mostly I think because no Coldwater in their way.
schools have until the 24th to appeal so sometime in early march there will be numbers. Then They will have to add the multiplier for competitive balance for football. then come up with the new cutoffs and figure out divisions and regions we will be lucky to know by june may be later.
Wow! I guess we got some time to wait lol

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

The OHSAA website says the new divisions for fall sports will be posted April 8.

I am sure the biggest complaints will come from the big city schools where "alternative school students" will distributed among all of the schools. Basically if a student is home schooled or goes to a STEM school, they are still eligible to participate in public school sports, so once they have a tally of all those students, they will be distributed among the schools where they potentially COULD have played if they had chosen.

king kong
Freshman Team

Post by king kong »

4thgoal wrote:The OHSAA website says the new divisions for fall sports will be posted April 8.

I am sure the biggest complaints will come from the big city schools where "alternative school students" will distributed among all of the schools. Basically if a student is home schooled or goes to a STEM school, they are still eligible to participate in public school sports,.
Not just home and STEM schools, but private schools that dont offer a sport that they wish to play as well!

The next time a private school supporter says that a public school doesnt own the kid, please feel free to remind them that Ohio law obviously says they do! lol Kids can go to private schools using tax payer money (which is completely against the Ohio Constitution) and if they dont have sports, or a certain sport, that kid can then go play for the "HOME" district. So, not only does a public school lose the money for that kid, they now have to pay more to let them participate!

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

king kong wrote: The next time a private school supporter says that a public school doesnt own the kid, please feel free to remind them that Ohio law obviously says they do! lol
They don't own the kid - they just have the obligation to provide opportunities for the kid. Thank the state legislature for that one.
king kong wrote:Kids can go to private schools using tax payer money (which is completely against the Ohio Constitution)
A lot of them don't, however. Additionally, there are voucher funds put in place for kids that might not be ruled able to play sports to attend private schools (think IEP/504 eligible, developmentally disabled, autism spectrum etc.)

Regardless, our president and his new Secretary of Education are all about privatizing education and launching a new voucher program to subsidize the costs of private school tuition. Congrats, Ohio, for voting Trump. Public education, we barely knew ye.
king kong wrote:and if they dont have sports, or a certain sport, that kid can then go play for the "HOME" district. So, not only does a public school lose the money for that kid, they now have to pay more to let them participate!
Whatever money they "lose" is going to be negligible for the most part, and if they do "lose" money on the deal it is still not the biggest detriment to the school district from a financial perspective. Anyways, I can't weep for a public school district losing money because they take on one or two kids to play sports that don't attend their building - not when some districts do benefit from those students' participation on the fields; not when districts approve outrageously expensive trips for athletics; not when districts go through new uniforms every one or two seasons; not when districts pay salaries that are outrageously high for a coach to land a "dean of students" gig that can be done without. Nope. Public education has many great benefits to society, but school districts can be inefficient and wasteful with their tax dollars.

king kong
Freshman Team

Post by king kong »

Lol, that's all I hear from private school supporters, "publics don't own the kid!" Yet, here we are, they have an obligation! I don't care if publics have to spend 1 cent on a non enrolled student, that is too much for someone who doesn't feel the education isn't good enough, but give me that jersey!

I encourage school choice, but what is offered now isn't a choice, publics, privates and charters play by a different set of rules, and until they do, I won't stop arguing against public tax money being misappropriated!

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

It's stupid Athens is in the same division as Akron SVSM and Desales. Those are good occ schools playing with midsize publics. D3 publics have it the worst in the state

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

king kong wrote:Lol, that's all I hear from private school supporters, "publics don't own the kid!" Yet, here we are, they have an obligation! I don't care if publics have to spend 1 cent on a non enrolled student, that is too much for someone who doesn't feel the education isn't good enough, but give me that jersey!
This is crap rhetoric. Their parents pay the same taxes their teammates' parents do, and compared to the parents of an open enrolled student, possibly more. Anyways, law doesn't say they have to make the team - just that they get an opportunity to make it.

I fail to see how a public school would be in the right to deny a service to a family that pays taxes to that public school while at the same time granting that same service to a family that doesn't pay taxes to that public school.
King Kong wrote: I encourage school choice, but what is offered now isn't a choice, publics, privates and charters play by a different set of rules, and until they do, I won't stop arguing against public tax money being misappropriated!
School choice won't do much for public education in SE Ohio. If the greedy politicians that advocate school choice in our state legislature + the current administration get their way, then some public education systems will get effectively killed in this part of the state.

As bleak as the state some SE Ohio districts operate in finanicially and physically, yes it could get worse — and it just might.

ravensfan9
Riding the Bench

Post by ravensfan9 »

Raider6309 wrote:It's stupid Athens is in the same division as Akron SVSM and Desales. Those are good occ schools playing with midsize publics. D3 publics have it the worst in the state
Why is it stupid? They have the same amount of kids!

Return to “Football”