king kong
Freshman Team

Re: Enrollment Numbers

Post by king kong »

wobycat wrote:
king kong wrote:
8332 Granite St wrote: Are you jealous of Wheelersburg some lol
Go Burg!
Nope, just pointing out the hypocrisy that most Burg posters act like they don't get athletes moving in!
You assume that every male student that moves in is for athletics.
I didn't assume anything genius, I said their CP numbers were high, that's kids who played football but didn't live in the district! LOL

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

king kong wrote:
wobycat wrote:
king kong wrote:
Nope, just pointing out the hypocrisy that most Burg posters act like they don't get athletes moving in!
I didn't assume anything genius, I said their CP numbers were high, that's kids who played football but didn't live in the district! LOL
Yes you did genius. You assume that students are moving in solely for athletics when that's farther from the truth. Ironton went up 15 because some of their students are from the rock hill district, or green district and have preferred to attend that school for their education, yes they play but their main reason they're there is because they wanted to attend that school and probably have for quite some time.

king kong
Freshman Team

Post by king kong »

wobycat wrote:
king kong wrote:
wobycat wrote:
Yes you did genius. You assume that students are moving in solely for athletics when that's farther from the truth. Ironton went up 15 because some of their students are from the rock hill district, or green district and have preferred to attend that school for their education, yes they play but their main reason they're there is because they wanted to attend that school and probably have for quite some time.
If you believe that everyone of Burgs CB students moved there solely for academics, I have some nice oceanfront property in Arizona you would be interested in! LOL

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

I never said all of them but you did.

Also please name all the superstars that just moved to burg solely for football.

king kong
Freshman Team

Post by king kong »

wobycat wrote:I never said all of them but you did.

Also please name all the superstars that just moved to burg solely for football.
I don't think the Ohsaa releases the CB list! Seems like I struck a little guilt nerve, when you are the beneficiary of incoming talent from outside your district, you don't want anyone looking too closely!

Like private schools supporters, don't make it sound like a mathlete from Minford in the 8th grade sits down with mom and dad and say, let's attend a better academic school like Burg and oh by the way why don't I try out for football!

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

king kong wrote:

I don't think the Ohsaa releases the CB list! Seems like I struck a little guilt nerve, when you are the beneficiary of incoming talent from outside your district, you don't want anyone looking too closely!

Like private schools supporters, don't make it sound like a mathlete from Minford in the 8th grade sits down with mom and dad and say, let's attend a better academic school like Burg and oh by the way why don't I try out for football!
No some have parents that went to burg but live just outside of district but chose when the kids were in kindergarden to send them to burg.
Some have kids that wanted to play football but lived in districts that didn't have football.
Some do move in for sports and many of those kids realize how far behind academically they are because of the academics at there previous school was so poor.
I've said it before "burgs not for everyone" burg has had many talented kids move out of the district over the years.
Burg CB #'s are no where near most of the private schools.
It would be interesting to see what irontons cb #'s would have been back in the 70's,80's and 90's

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

It's also worth considering that social situations at schools, despite how insignificant they may come off to average Joe's on here like you and me, can play a huge hand in determining whether or not a family will look elsewhere for their student. It's a no-brainer that parents are going to want what is best for their kids, as long as they have the resources to do so. Sometimes there are situations that can't be fixed by just having the student stay in the same school system (e.g. bullying.) Some parents will look at other options and try to find what is a better fit for their kid. Some parents may think that a smaller school, with more direct attention being in play between the teachers, administration and the student because of lower faculty-to-student ratios, can work better if they feel their student can't thrive in a large, packed environment.
king kong wrote:Like private schools supporters, don't make it sound like a mathlete from Minford in the 8th grade sits down with mom and dad and say, let's attend a better academic school like Burg and oh by the way why don't I try out for football!
Interestingly enough, as someone who went through private grade school k-8 but was considering public school options for high school, my parents and I ultimately chose for me to go to private HS because of what they had in the way of the academic extracurricular activities versus what my public high school did not. Ended up doing pretty darn well in the academic extracurriculars, but when it came to athletics that wasn't something I was personally interested in until I decided to join the tennis team when I got my drivers' license. So, I can actually see something like what you're describing happening. It may not happen all that often, but it can and it does. Not everything in the world of student transition between schools hinges on football, you know.

Side note, in defense of Wheelersburg and academics: within the past 10 years I did some contracting work writing academic materials for the competition the Scioto County ESC sponsors for the schools. Wheelersburg and Minford were always the two consistently strong programs, and one time I had the opportunity to moderate exhibition matches of an academic competition tournament in Scioto County. I read for the teams from NW, Portsmouth, Minford, Valley, and Wheelersburg. All of the schools brought a contingency of parents along to watch their students compete, but Wheelersburg was the only one that also had their superintendent show up to watch. I used to be involved in the circuit of academic competition all across the state of Ohio, and 'Burg was one of only two schools I ever judged that had administrators come out and support.

That isn't to definitively say "Wheelersburg cares more about academics or the likewise activities than other schools", as a) that'd be a faulty assumption based on a one-time observation; b) I'm not in a position to say administrators at other schools can care less; and c) I'm not going to impugn other schools for not having their super' come to an academic competition... but I have no problem saying that Wheelersburg is definitely a school empirically that has good academics, prides itself on what they can offer to students, and definitely is a school with enough institutional support to satisfy the interests of football players, band geeks, mathletes etc all at once. At a time when school choice and other institutions can stymie public education down the road, I'm surprised there is as much dispute to the merits and accomplishments of a public school such as Wheelersburg, all because they apparently "recruit" or directly "entice" kids to come there.

Seabee_0586
Varsity

Post by Seabee_0586 »

I know of a lot of kids from Franklin furnace that plays for wheelersburg...

SOC 1
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Seabee_0586 wrote:

I know of a lot of kids from Franklin furnace that plays for wheelersburg...
No you don't. Please define a lot.

Seabee_0586
Varsity

Post by Seabee_0586 »

Well I was talking about the lower grades and yes there is a lot

SOC 1

Return to “Football”