Enrollment Numbers

svac83
SE

Re: Enrollment Numbers

Post by svac83 »

When I read how competitive balance works I don't really think it is going to be a huge deal.. yes it will bump some teams up a division.. let's say that d5 ends up being for schools 135 to 185 boys.. if my enrollment is 165.. 10 of the boys on my football team could be transfers and I would still only be at 185..

Noodle319
Freshman Team

Post by Noodle319 »

If I follow the logic of a lot of post on the forum this should be the new SOC.

SOC 2
Waverly- 188
Wheelersburg- 167
Portsmouth West- 162
Oak Hill- 140
Northwest- 136
Minford- 133

SOC 1
Valley- 116
Eastern- 101
Sciotoville Community- 81
Symmes Valley- 73
Green- 63
Notre Dame- 45

ravensfan9
Riding the Bench

Post by ravensfan9 »

I'd be surprised if Ironton wasn't afftected. They have a LOT of transfers playing. Last season, both ends, tackle, 2 running back,s on offense were all transfers. Defensively, both ends, noseguard, a linebacker, and db were all transfers.

I wonder if they are going to.keep punishing the kids for transferring. The stupid sit out half a year rule. Seems like double jeopardy having them sit and then punishing the school for taking them. I think the competitive balance solution is good, but they need to do away with the site out garbage.

Oak
Freshman Team

Post by Oak »

Noodle319 wrote:If I follow the logic of a lot of post on the forum this should be the new SOC.

SOC 2
Waverly- 188
Wheelersburg- 167
Portsmouth West- 162
Oak Hill- 140
Northwest- 136
Minford- 133

SOC 1
Valley- 116
Eastern- 101
Sciotoville Community- 81
Symmes Valley- 73
Green- 63
Notre Dame- 45
Outside of Oak Hill, who should have always been SOCII in football and is in everything else, that'swhat the league used to be.
Valley wanted in the SOCII. They saw several good classes coming and they have faired well. Talent dried up for a few years.
Northwest wanted out. They shouldn't have been allowed to do that. Them and Oak Hill are much to big for the SOCI

Oak
Freshman Team

Post by Oak »

ravensfan9 wrote:I'd be surprised if Ironton wasn't afftected. They have a LOT of transfers playing. Last season, both ends, tackle, 2 running back,s on offense were all transfers. Defensively, both ends, noseguard, a linebacker, and db were all transfers.

I wonder if they are going to.keep punishing the kids for transferring. The stupid sit out half a year rule. Seems like double jeopardy having them sit and then punishing the school for taking them. I think the competitive balance solution is good, but they need to do away with the site out garbage.
Ironton could be but their enrollment is low enough that they will probably stay D5 where Wheelersburg is already higher beforethe other numbers kick in.

The transfer rule has to stay or you have the play football for one school, then transfer for basketball and play right away, which is wrong.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

IBTT wrote:I was told not too far back from an Ironton assistant coach that Ironton should be fine and not be having any change. That they should stay in Division 5. He also went on to say probably Burg would be the only team really affected by this change. They could go up as high as Divion 3.

WOW, THAT WOULD NOT BE FAIR IN MY OPINION. THE DIFFERENCE IN ENROLLMENT FROM 5 TO 3 IS STAGGERING.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Oak
Freshman Team

Post by Oak »

Wheelersburg has bunches of kids that go there that do not live in the Wheelersburg district. They may have a D5 overall enrollment, but they are basically a public-private school as far as sports go. Don't blame them for having athletes, but based on the transfers they are not on the level with other D5 schools in the area. Competitive balance was supposedly designed to even the field but it is more of a smokescreen designed to passify public schools so they don't secede from the OHSAA or vote for public/private championships. The OHSAA caters to the private schools and its very obvious. Qualifiers like kids going to that school system before 7th grade not counting as a transfer were built into the agreement so basically competitive balance will add very little to a teams enrollment. If they wanted to be fair they would look at every student's address. If they are outside the district they count as 2.

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

i'm really not sure the burg has anymore kids that live outside of district than anyone else. most kids anymore move into the district to avoid having to sit out

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

I don't think you should go through every kid in the school because a lot of kids change schools for a whole bunch of reasons that have nothing to do with a sport.

Oak
Freshman Team

Post by Oak »

svac83 wrote:I don't think you should go through every kid in the school because a lot of kids change schools for a whole bunch of reasons that have nothing to do with a sport.
Understand what you're saying, but they all count. Most schools around here have 150 plus boys that decide the division they play and maybe 50 of them on the football team.

Da man
Riding the Bench

Post by Da man »

Every school has move ins, which will even out the numbers. Renember every kid that transfers before 7th grade isnt as bad as a kid that transfers as a 9th grader.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

Oak wrote:
svac83 wrote:I don't think you should go through every kid in the school because a lot of kids change schools for a whole bunch of reasons that have nothing to do with a sport.
Understand what you're saying, but they all count. Most schools around here have 150 plus boys that decide the division they play and maybe 50 of them on the football team.
I think i misread your first post. I had thought you meant count all 150 kids in the school and if any of them came from outside the district they should count double. But now i think you mean. Count the entire football roster and count outside ones as 2. If that is what you mean i would have no problem with that.

ravensfan9
Riding the Bench

Post by ravensfan9 »

Oak wrote:
ravensfan9 wrote:I'd be surprised if Ironton wasn't afftected. They have a LOT of transfers playing. Last season, both ends, tackle, 2 running back,s on offense were all transfers. Defensively, both ends, noseguard, a linebacker, and db were all transfers.

Ironton could be but their enrollment is low enough that they will probably stay D5 where Wheelersburg is already higher beforethe other numbers kick in.

The transfer rule has to stay or you have the play football for one school, then transfer for basketball and play right away, which is wrong.

This is my opinion....since we have competitive balance....why not make it legal for a kid to go wherever they want each year. If they transfer during the school year...they have to sit 50% of the regular season. I don't think it's fair to punish the kid twice (sit out & potentially hurting them advancing in the tournament by increasing numbers). One or the other is enough, but both is too much!

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Competitive balance has NOT been yet achieved. Time to see if it does what it should do first. As for "transfers", lets be candid -- people cheat. Been doing that for centuries. Anything to hold down dishonest, cheating vermin in athletics is O.K. with me. The days of honest competition are long over with. Drugs, transfers, or anything to gain an advantage are in vogue today. Gone are the days of proudly representing your community, supporting your childhood friends in athletics, playing for the pride of your family in your community. I don't think we will ever see honest competition again, but none the less, trying to keep it honest has my support. And apparently, most schools agree with me as they are the ones who vote on the rules for the OHSAA. The perspective today is CHEAT if you can, one way or another. Sad but true.

Have gun, will travel
JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

Paladin wrote:Competitive balance has NOT been yet achieved. Time to see if it does what it should do first. As for "transfers", lets be candid -- people cheat. Been doing that for centuries. Anything to hold down dishonest, cheating vermin in athletics is O.K. with me. The days of honest competition are long over with. Drugs, transfers, or anything to gain an advantage are in vogue today. Gone are the days of proudly representing your community, supporting your childhood friends in athletics, playing for the pride of your family in your community. I don't think we will ever see honest competition again, but none the less, trying to keep it honest has my support. And apparently, most schools agree with me as they are the ones who vote on the rules for the OHSAA. The perspective today is CHEAT if you can, one way or another. Sad but true.
You ain't cheating you ain't tryin :D

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

[quote="Paladin"]Competitive balance has NOT been yet achieved. Time to see if it does what it should do first. As for "transfers", lets be candid -- people cheat. Been doing that for centuries. Anything to hold down dishonest, cheating vermin in athletics is O.K. with me. The days of honest competition are long over with. Drugs, transfers, or anything to gain an advantage are in vogue today. Gone are the days of proudly representing your community, supporting your childhood friends in athletics, playing for the pride of your family in your community. I don't think we will ever see honest competition again, but none the less, trying to keep it honest has my support. And apparently, most schools agree with me as they are the ones who vote on the rules for the OHSAA. The perspective today is CHEAT if you can, one way or another. Sad but true.[/qUOTE0

At the highest level this may be true. But i also believe there a ton of people out there doing it right. Are those teams winning championships probably not. But to just paint a broad brush that says everyone is bending the rules and not doing it right is just not true.

ravensfan9
Riding the Bench

Post by ravensfan9 »

Paladin wrote:Competitive balance has NOT been yet achieved. Time to see if it does what it should do first. As for "transfers", lets be candid -- people cheat. Been doing that for centuries. Anything to hold down dishonest, cheating vermin in athletics is O.K. with me. The days of honest competition are long over with. Drugs, transfers, or anything to gain an advantage are in vogue today. Gone are the days of proudly representing your community, supporting your childhood friends in athletics, playing for the pride of your family in your community. I don't think we will ever see honest competition again, but none the less, trying to keep it honest has my support. And apparently, most schools agree with me as they are the ones who vote on the rules for the OHSAA. The perspective today is CHEAT if you can, one way or another. Sad but true.
Do you think back in 60s, 70s, and 80s kids didn't transfer? That's laughable! Kids have always transfered for different reasons. Maybe they want to play with friends, maybe they don't have confidence in a coach, maybe they just want a better opportunity. Kids should be allowed to transfer wherever they want, with the exception being during a school year. You think the OHSAA is trying to make it fair? If so, you don't understand that organization. They only care about 2 things...money and power. Everything they do is slanted to get money...why do you think playoff sites are always slanted to one school? $$$$ or they prefer a certain team to win. They have done it in track for years!

Why not let the kids decide their playing future. It ure would force schools to have good facilities and good coaches. Also, it would minimize the OHSAA into a tournament organizer. Kids get to pick where they go to school without penalty, the Federal Government is now encouraging kids to go where they want with vouchers etc., so why not let them play wherever they want to go.....

icanpickem
All Conference

Post by icanpickem »

OHSAA posted incorrect numbers for a lot of schools first time around.

Corrected version:
http://ohsaa.org/school-resources/school-enrollment

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

icanpickem wrote:OHSAA posted incorrect numbers for a lot of schools first time around.

Corrected version:
http://ohsaa.org/school-resources/school-enrollment
I knew Vinton County's were way off and was pretty sure Jackson's were wrong.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

I think competitive balance in count years is going to lead to weird beginning of the seasons.. because for football I am not sure we will know what all teams divisions or regions will be until middle of August or so..

Return to “Football”