Enrollment Numbers

8332 Granite St
JV Team

Re: Enrollment Numbers

Post by 8332 Granite St »

When will this be set in stone? Just waiting to see if Burg moves up or not. Of course Div.5 is tough look what happened when Bishop Hartley moved up to Div. 4 they won state mostly I think because no Coldwater in their way.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

8332 Granite St wrote:When will this be set in stone? Just waiting to see if Burg moves up or not. Of course Div.5 is tough look what happened when Bishop Hartley moved up to Div. 4 they won state mostly I think because no Coldwater in their way.
schools have until the 24th to appeal so sometime in early march there will be numbers. Then They will have to add the multiplier for competitive balance for football. then come up with the new cutoffs and figure out divisions and regions we will be lucky to know by june may be later.

8332 Granite St
JV Team

Post by 8332 Granite St »

svac83 wrote:
8332 Granite St wrote:When will this be set in stone? Just waiting to see if Burg moves up or not. Of course Div.5 is tough look what happened when Bishop Hartley moved up to Div. 4 they won state mostly I think because no Coldwater in their way.
schools have until the 24th to appeal so sometime in early march there will be numbers. Then They will have to add the multiplier for competitive balance for football. then come up with the new cutoffs and figure out divisions and regions we will be lucky to know by june may be later.
Wow! I guess we got some time to wait lol

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

The OHSAA website says the new divisions for fall sports will be posted April 8.

I am sure the biggest complaints will come from the big city schools where "alternative school students" will distributed among all of the schools. Basically if a student is home schooled or goes to a STEM school, they are still eligible to participate in public school sports, so once they have a tally of all those students, they will be distributed among the schools where they potentially COULD have played if they had chosen.

king kong
Freshman Team

Post by king kong »

4thgoal wrote:The OHSAA website says the new divisions for fall sports will be posted April 8.

I am sure the biggest complaints will come from the big city schools where "alternative school students" will distributed among all of the schools. Basically if a student is home schooled or goes to a STEM school, they are still eligible to participate in public school sports,.
Not just home and STEM schools, but private schools that dont offer a sport that they wish to play as well!

The next time a private school supporter says that a public school doesnt own the kid, please feel free to remind them that Ohio law obviously says they do! lol Kids can go to private schools using tax payer money (which is completely against the Ohio Constitution) and if they dont have sports, or a certain sport, that kid can then go play for the "HOME" district. So, not only does a public school lose the money for that kid, they now have to pay more to let them participate!

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

king kong wrote: The next time a private school supporter says that a public school doesnt own the kid, please feel free to remind them that Ohio law obviously says they do! lol
They don't own the kid - they just have the obligation to provide opportunities for the kid. Thank the state legislature for that one.
king kong wrote:Kids can go to private schools using tax payer money (which is completely against the Ohio Constitution)
A lot of them don't, however. Additionally, there are voucher funds put in place for kids that might not be ruled able to play sports to attend private schools (think IEP/504 eligible, developmentally disabled, autism spectrum etc.)

Regardless, our president and his new Secretary of Education are all about privatizing education and launching a new voucher program to subsidize the costs of private school tuition. Congrats, Ohio, for voting Trump. Public education, we barely knew ye.
king kong wrote:and if they dont have sports, or a certain sport, that kid can then go play for the "HOME" district. So, not only does a public school lose the money for that kid, they now have to pay more to let them participate!
Whatever money they "lose" is going to be negligible for the most part, and if they do "lose" money on the deal it is still not the biggest detriment to the school district from a financial perspective. Anyways, I can't weep for a public school district losing money because they take on one or two kids to play sports that don't attend their building - not when some districts do benefit from those students' participation on the fields; not when districts approve outrageously expensive trips for athletics; not when districts go through new uniforms every one or two seasons; not when districts pay salaries that are outrageously high for a coach to land a "dean of students" gig that can be done without. Nope. Public education has many great benefits to society, but school districts can be inefficient and wasteful with their tax dollars.

king kong
Freshman Team

Post by king kong »

Lol, that's all I hear from private school supporters, "publics don't own the kid!" Yet, here we are, they have an obligation! I don't care if publics have to spend 1 cent on a non enrolled student, that is too much for someone who doesn't feel the education isn't good enough, but give me that jersey!

I encourage school choice, but what is offered now isn't a choice, publics, privates and charters play by a different set of rules, and until they do, I won't stop arguing against public tax money being misappropriated!

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

It's stupid Athens is in the same division as Akron SVSM and Desales. Those are good occ schools playing with midsize publics. D3 publics have it the worst in the state

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

king kong wrote:Lol, that's all I hear from private school supporters, "publics don't own the kid!" Yet, here we are, they have an obligation! I don't care if publics have to spend 1 cent on a non enrolled student, that is too much for someone who doesn't feel the education isn't good enough, but give me that jersey!
This is crap rhetoric. Their parents pay the same taxes their teammates' parents do, and compared to the parents of an open enrolled student, possibly more. Anyways, law doesn't say they have to make the team - just that they get an opportunity to make it.

I fail to see how a public school would be in the right to deny a service to a family that pays taxes to that public school while at the same time granting that same service to a family that doesn't pay taxes to that public school.
King Kong wrote: I encourage school choice, but what is offered now isn't a choice, publics, privates and charters play by a different set of rules, and until they do, I won't stop arguing against public tax money being misappropriated!
School choice won't do much for public education in SE Ohio. If the greedy politicians that advocate school choice in our state legislature + the current administration get their way, then some public education systems will get effectively killed in this part of the state.

As bleak as the state some SE Ohio districts operate in finanicially and physically, yes it could get worse — and it just might.

ravensfan9
Riding the Bench

Post by ravensfan9 »

Raider6309 wrote:It's stupid Athens is in the same division as Akron SVSM and Desales. Those are good occ schools playing with midsize publics. D3 publics have it the worst in the state
Why is it stupid? They have the same amount of kids!

king kong
Freshman Team

Post by king kong »

You know why our state legislature made this rule, to weaken public schools and republicans number one enemy, public unions! We pay taxes is another battle cry I hear private whiners spew all the time! You pay taxes for a lot of things, yet don't scream when the county doesn't fix a road, or when the state blows money, but by god public schools are the devil

Again, private schools don't operate under the same rules as publics and charters are worse than privates by their lack of rules and oversights! Make all three operate the same! But you know they the legislature won't, their money pipeline will dry up.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

ravensfan9 wrote:
Raider6309 wrote:It's stupid Athens is in the same division as Akron SVSM and Desales. Those are good occ schools playing with midsize publics. D3 publics have it the worst in the state
Why is it stupid? They have the same amount of kids!
Because Athens has to take every kid living in the district, while some privates pick and choose. It's not just a private thing, there are some publics that do the same thing or are city schools and get to compete in the small rural divisions (Africentric).

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

D3 is absolutely brutal. DeSales #2 RB is going to Michigan :lol:

Akron Hoban
Akron SVSM
DeSales
Cleveland Benny
Toledo central Catholic

Kettering Alter and Steubenville might finally be in murders row. OHSAA has segregated all the good teams to D1 and D3

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

GoBucks1047 wrote:Others (SBAAC):
Clinton-Massie...246..206.........215..204
East Clinton......170..136.........146..152
Georgetown......138..111.........090..103
Wilmington.......362..358.........342..315
.......Proposed: Boys Girls...Current: Boys Girls

Southern Ohio Conference - Division I
Clay...............068..068.........053..053
East...............081..069.........059..057
Eastern-Pike.....124..112.........075..072
Green.............079..061.........073..054
New Boston......039..062.........041..047
Notre Dame......034..050.........048..026
Symmes Valley...087..094.........095..100
Western-Pike....113..081.........078..081
Northwest*.......180..---...........157..---
Oak Hill*.........167..---...........152..---
^ SOC I Football Only ^

Southern Ohio Conference - Division II
Minford...........152..155.........175..142
Northwest*.......180..180.........157..168
Oak Hill*.........167..131.........152..124
South Webster...103..104.........076..096
Valley.............130..111.........128..113
Waverly...........228..201.........217..191
West..............191..136.........184..160
Wheelersburg....175..149.........147..163
* Northwest and Oak Hill play Football in SOC I
What I gather from these numbers is that Oak Hill should be moved up to SOC II for football going forward. Unlike Northwest, they have an established program with great numbers and can compete in SOC II. Also hearing rumblings that Eastern and South Webster may switch divisions for basketball/baseball if Eastern ends up being D3. Eastern Pike may be getting too big for SOC I in basketball although with their football program being relatively new, would not be able to compete in SOC II in football. Hard to say what happens there, but as a Webster fan, hope they can stay in SOC II.*

EPN
Freshman Team

Post by EPN »

I'm hearing it is already a done deal , that Eastern Pike will b moving to SOC2 in all sports except football, but this won't take effect until till the 19-20 season, as an eagle fan I am extremely excited for this move , I think it's a great opportunity for the kids of Eastern to play against the tougher competition of the SOC2 , only makes u better .

GoBucks1047
Varsity

Post by GoBucks1047 »

art_vandelay wrote:
GoBucks1047 wrote:Others (SBAAC):
Clinton-Massie...246..206.........215..204
East Clinton......170..136.........146..152
Georgetown......138..111.........090..103
Wilmington.......362..358.........342..315

Southern Ohio Conference - Division I
Clay...............068..068.........053..053
East...............081..069.........059..057
Eastern-Pike.....124..112.........075..072
Green.............079..061.........073..054
New Boston......039..062.........041..047
Notre Dame......034..050.........048..026
Symmes Valley...087..094.........095..100
Western-Pike....113..081.........078..081
Northwest*.......180..---...........157..---
Oak Hill*.........167..---...........152..---
^ SOC I Football Only ^

Southern Ohio Conference - Division II
Minford...........152..155.........175..142
Northwest*.......180..180.........157..168
Oak Hill*.........167..131.........152..124
South Webster...103..104.........076..096
Valley.............130..111.........128..113
Waverly...........228..201.........217..191
West..............191..136.........184..160
Wheelersburg....175..149.........147..163
* Northwest and Oak Hill play Football in SOC I
What I gather from these numbers is that Oak Hill should be moved up to SOC II for football going forward. Unlike Northwest, they have an established program with great numbers and can compete in SOC II. Also hearing rumblings that Eastern and South Webster may switch divisions for basketball/baseball if Eastern ends up being D3. Eastern Pike may be getting too big for SOC I in basketball although with their football program being relatively new, would not be able to compete in SOC II in football. Hard to say what happens there, but as a Webster fan, hope they can stay in SOC II.*
I agree that Oak Hill should move up to SOC II in Football, and I think Northwest should too, but considering the roster size of their team dropped down to similar sizes of SOC I schools, I'm okay with them staying in SOC I for now. I'm curious to see where Eastern lands in terms of enrollment figures and divisions in the upcoming cycle. I'd like to see Eastern stay in SOC I as they are always competitive in most sports in SOC I.

Personally, I think it's time South Webster moves down to SOC I since they play in the division of the SOC I schools in all of their sports tournaments and even in SOC I in quite a few sports, and I would like to see Ironton St. Joe added to SOC I in all sports to make 10 schools of similar size within an hour and a half (before the Portsmouth bypass is complete) and help cut down on travel. I think adding both schools would also make SOC I even more competitive in many sports (Well Webster may still dominate Boys Soccer lol). I understand why South Webster wants to stay in SOC II, but I feel like it would be better for the conference if they moved down in all sports as well as move all the SOC II schools in SOC I back up (mainly Valley and Oak Hill) with the exception of Northwest football. At least South Webster could work with the SOC to get a scheduling set up to where they could play all the SOC II schools once in many sports or most in all sports.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

gobucks: If it happens, then that's what Webster will have to do. I know they'll want to keep games with Wheelersburg, Minford, Oak Hill, Valley, etc. on their nonconference basketball schedule. Their soccer program is still one of the best programs in southeastern Ohio despite being in SOC I, and that's how they've done it (by beefing up the nonconference schedule). So basketball would likely continue to be competitive as well. Again, would hate to see it as Webster has been in SOC II for about 25 years now, but also understand it with the shifting demographics of the area.*

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Just asking, but does anyone think that Eastern's numbers could be wrong? That seems like a really large jump. 89 additional kids in the 3 grades counted is a big deal for a small school and would probably equal 120 more kids in the high school total. I would suspect a jump like that would have resulted in several more teachers being hired in the past 2 years to keep class sizes manageable.

Seabee_05
Waterboy

Post by Seabee_05 »

Oak Hill and Northwest should move to soc2 and Manchester added to the soc1 in football

EPN
Freshman Team

Post by EPN »

4thgoal
From what I hear these numbers are pretty close to correct for Eastern, I am not sure why the spike in enrollment ,but I think getting football has played a big part in it though , I know Eastern's enrollment from K-12 has gone up around 250 students or so over the last 5+ years . Eastern has always lost several kids over the years , that moved to play football at other schools , and not necessarily just in high school, but they moved down in the grades to start playing football, I don't think we r losing those kids now , along with others that may move in to play football as well.
And Eastern may be excelling in academics as well , but I don't know much about academics....lol

Return to “Football”