2017 Logan Cheiftains

thebarlowbandit
All State

Re: 2017 Logan Cheiftains

Post by thebarlowbandit »

Paladin wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:27 pm I'd consider playing D-III teams and up. That includes Athens, Chilli ,Jackson and would include Marietta and Warren. But the rest of SEO needs to move on. The future is north, not south and while you need games, especially non- league games, league to the north will eventually happen. Much of SEO will continue to shrink and student enrollment will drop , moving teams to even smaller divisions. Logan will remain fairly stable as a commuter town to Central Ohio work. So Logan, as a D-II, will be playing a D-I thru D-III schedule. Most of SEO is smaller and going to get smaller. But the 5 above teams, as long as they stay D-III or higher are fine. There just isn't much of a future for Logan in sports in SEO.
Again I agree again, the playing of Shadyside, Minford, Nelsonville, etc. just doesn't get it done. And as critical as I've been, I've not knocked Logan for playing anyone that is a DIII and above. But just because I say it some get bent out of shape.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

As I said on another thread if it is travel time Logan will never be in a league again.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
GoBucks1047
JV Team

Post by GoBucks1047 »

The reason I excluded Marietta and Warren was because of distance (after looking Warren to Logan is about the same as Jackson to Logan; Marietta is 15 minutes longer or about equivalent to playing Big Walnut in the OCC-Capital, same division as Canal), I'm unfamiliar of how well they travel to Logan, and unsure how well they'd compete with Logan, particularly Warren on the latter. I'd be okay though seeing them both on the schedule, but I'd prefer Athens, Chillicothe, and Jackson.

Here's a tactic I think is getting Manchester (DVII) into SOC I for Football Only that Logan could try. For weeks 4-10, find leagues with odd numbers (not the TVC; Athens being the exception) and try scheduling a bunch of teams from a league or two when they have a non-conference week. For Manchester this year, it got 5 games against SOC I Teams (DVI and DVII schools) plus a game with South Gallia on an independent football schedule, and Manchester's closest opponent is around 55-60 minutes away of those 6 games. If a majority of a league played Logan and realized the trip isn't as far as they make it up to be, it could benefit Logan.

I'd say target MSL-Buckeye hard since there's only 7 in football now, as Logan could potentially bump Liberty Union down to Ohio in all sports and take their spot for the MSL; only down side is half the schedule would be DIV if accepted, but it's a league and light travel too. Targeting a few MVL schools wouldn't hurt either (Maysville, Sheridan [already on the schedule], and Tri-Valley). OCC will only be able to be scheduled during Weeks 1-5 once their 32th school opens so the only way I see Logan joining the OCC is with Teays Valley into the Capital Division as the 33rd and 34th schools, and I don't think Teays Valley is leaving the MSL-Buckeye.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

GoBucks1047 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:09 pm The reason I excluded Marietta and Warren was because of distance (after looking Warren to Logan is about the same as Jackson to Logan; Marietta is 15 minutes longer or about equivalent to playing Big Walnut in the OCC-Capital, same division as Canal), I'm unfamiliar of how well they travel to Logan, and unsure how well they'd compete with Logan, particularly Warren on the latter. I'd be okay though seeing them both on the schedule, but I'd prefer Athens, Chillicothe, and Jackson.

Here's a tactic I think is getting Manchester (DVII) into SOC I for Football Only that Logan could try. For weeks 4-10, find leagues with odd numbers (not the TVC; Athens being the exception) and try scheduling a bunch of teams from a league or two when they have a non-conference week. For Manchester this year, it got 5 games against SOC I Teams (DVI and DVII schools) plus a game with South Gallia on an independent football schedule, and Manchester's closest opponent is around 55-60 minutes away of those 6 games. If a majority of a league played Logan and realized the trip isn't as far as they make it up to be, it could benefit Logan.

I'd say target MSL-Buckeye hard since there's only 7 in football now, as Logan could potentially bump Liberty Union down to Ohio in all sports and take their spot for the MSL; only down side is half the schedule would be DIV if accepted, but it's a league and light travel too. Targeting a few MVL schools wouldn't hurt either (Maysville, Sheridan [already on the schedule], and Tri-Valley). OCC will only be able to be scheduled during Weeks 1-5 once their 32th school opens so the only way I see Logan joining the OCC is with Teays Valley into the Capital Division as the 33rd and 34th schools, and I don't think Teays Valley is leaving the MSL-Buckeye.
Teams have no problem traveling to Manchester to play, they schedule them looking for a win. Been a rough start in that community.

GoBucks1047
JV Team

Post by GoBucks1047 »

Pol pot wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:08 pm
GoBucks1047 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:09 pm The reason I excluded Marietta and Warren was because of distance (after looking Warren to Logan is about the same as Jackson to Logan; Marietta is 15 minutes longer or about equivalent to playing Big Walnut in the OCC-Capital, same division as Canal), I'm unfamiliar of how well they travel to Logan, and unsure how well they'd compete with Logan, particularly Warren on the latter. I'd be okay though seeing them both on the schedule, but I'd prefer Athens, Chillicothe, and Jackson.

Teams have no problem traveling to Manchester to play, they schedule them looking for a win. Been a rough start in that community.
Don't all teams going somewhere looking for a win though. Also, I think once the SHAC starts sponsoring football as a conference sport, it'll hopefully get better for Manchester. Plus Manchester has had to play primarily Cincinnati schools for years so in the meantime, getting away from a lot of the Cincinnati schools to play SOC I schools ought to help give Manchester a chance to jump start its program to at least compete for wins like in 2012-14 (won 4-6 games a season after 3-4 winless seasons) and hopefully better. Plus with eventually adding Northwest to the schedule and when Western adds football, it gives Manchester the chance to develop new rivalry games. They have beat Green most games in the last 5 years. It'll just depend on how good East, Eastern, Notre Dame, and Symmes Valley (Oak Hill ought to be moved up to SOC II) to see how they'll be and if they can compete well overall in the conference, but .500 seasons are certainly possible once they're fully in SOC I for football (only playing 5 of 7 SOC I teams this year), which is success for them and would hopefully the 1st of many steps for their program.

As for Logan, schedule as heavy as possible in the MSL-Buckeye, try going for some MVL teams too mid-late season, add OCC teams early in the season, mix some local SEO rivalry games (DII-DIII SEOAL rivals), and just be patient waiting for a conference to call your name. I don't you can't be independent forever.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:27 pm
Again I agree again, the playing of Shadyside, Minford, Nelsonville, etc. just doesn't get it done. And as critical as I've been, I've not knocked Logan for playing anyone that is a DIII and above. But just because I say it some get bent out of shape.
Shadyside and Minford were one season deals in the second half of the season when league play takes about 75% of the state off the table for scheduling purposes.

I mean I guess Logan could have scheduled some big Canadian school that is technically "D1" but would lose to Shadyside and Minford?

I haven't liked playing Nelsonville-York. Glad its off the schedule. But it does make the school a ton of money after losing big league gates like Gallipolis and Athens.

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

Let's get real Logan is stuck, they have to do best they can do and that means scheduling everything from D1 Dublin Jerome to D7 Shadyside.

Jackson, Athens and Chillicothe should all play them, no reason why the non-league schedules for these 3 schools wouldn't permit this from happening most years.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Abe -

Logan has Athens and Chilli on the schedule this year.

Zanesville comes on next year (in place of Minford).

Logan and Jackson are working to get back on each others schedules.

Logan's 2018 Schedule (one opening)

VS Tri-Valley (D3)
AT Teays Valley (D2)
AT Meigs (D4)
AT Sheridan (D3)
VS Chillicothe (D2)
VS Athens (D3)
AT Zanesville (D3)
OPEN
VS Bishop Watterson (D3)
AT Warren (D3)

So currently only team below D3. But no more D1s either. Week 8 going to be a tough one to fill.

Tri-Valley, Zanesville, and Watterson could all move up to D2. Chillicothe could move back down to D3.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Week 8 could be a Canadian team. Nothing wrong with that. You get to play, get points and have a unique visitor in town. Lots of schools up North do it. And , some aren't bad competition who may not win but force you to work to win. Tough to fill the 8th.

Have gun, will travel
Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

May have to start looking to West Virginia or Kentucky to fill late season slots.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

loganlocos wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:16 am Abe -

VS Tri-Valley (D3)
AT Teays Valley (D2)
AT Meigs (D4)
AT Sheridan (D3)
VS Chillicothe (D2)
VS Athens (D3)
AT Zanesville (D3)
OPEN
VS Bishop Watterson (D3)
AT Warren (D3)

So currently only team below D3. But no more D1s either. Week 8 going to be a tough one to fill.

Tri-Valley, Zanesville, and Watterson could all move up to D2. Chillicothe could move back down to D3.
I like that schedule if you take Meigs off there. I really have no clue what they are trying to do. You've got the easy win with Warren, and then some very competitive games. The Canadian idea is not a bad one, about 50 games a year are played v. Canadian opponents.

GoBucks1047
JV Team

Post by GoBucks1047 »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:19 pm
loganlocos wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:16 am Abe -

VS Tri-Valley (D3)
AT Teays Valley (D2)
AT Meigs (D4)
AT Sheridan (D3)
VS Chillicothe (D2)
VS Athens (D3)
AT Zanesville (D3)
OPEN
VS Bishop Watterson (D3)
AT Warren (D3)

I like that schedule if you take Meigs off there. I really have no clue what they are trying to do. You've got the easy win with Warren, and then some very competitive games. The Canadian idea is not a bad one, about 50 games a year are played v. Canadian opponents.
Obviously easier said than done, but Logan should drop Meigs and replace them Week 3 with Jackson. Jackson moves the Gallia Academy game to Week 2; also should consider adding Athens to the schedule if possible (my suggestion is Week 1 with Wellston becoming Jamboree Game the week before or even a Week 4 matchup???, but none of that will happen). Then Gallia Academy moves the Meigs game to Week 3 and River Valley moves to Week 1. River Valley schedules someone else Week 2 (not Eastern-Meigs), and Meigs schedules someone else Week 2. And I'm alright with Logan playing primarily D2 and D3 opponents and a Canadian opponent is certainly interesting as well.

Ground Buck
All Conference

Post by Ground Buck »

They need to get one each D5, D6 and D7 teams back on the schedule. It's all about kids per square mile I tell ya. :mrgreen:

Disclaimer: This is all an opinion and I am therefore hoping we can still express opinions on this site without retort.
noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

We need to ..that way Those so called DI players can get someone to look at them :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol:

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Ground Buck
All Conference

Post by Ground Buck »

noreply66 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:15 pm We need to ..that way Those so called DI players can get someone to look at them :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol:
I agree with you on that. Instead of getting beaten down by D1, D2 and D3 teams those "so called DI players" for Logan can make a highlight film from the games against the D7 teams and "get someone to look at them." :mrgreen:

Disclaimer: This is all an opinion and I am therefore hoping we can still express opinions on this site without retort.
loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Ground Buck wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:43 pm They need to get one each D5, D6 and D7 teams back on the schedule. It's all about kids per square mile I tell ya. :mrgreen:
We'd like to but Nelsonville-York was afraid to play us once the "three headed monster" backfield graduated.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

loganlocos wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:36 pm
Ground Buck wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:43 pm They need to get one each D5, D6 and D7 teams back on the schedule. It's all about kids per square mile I tell ya. :mrgreen:
We'd like to but Nelsonville-York was afraid to play us once the "three headed monster" backfield graduated.
I don't think "afraid" is the word to use. Reasonable expectations assume this game shouldn't happen every year.
You are D2 and we are D6 for Pete's sake.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Orange and Brown wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:54 pm
I don't think "afraid" is the word to use. Reasonable expectations assume this game shouldn't happen every year.
You are D2 and we are D6 for Pete's sake.
It was a joke. I just said above that I wasn't a fan of the game being on the schedule.

Ground Buck
All Conference

Post by Ground Buck »

Yes, THE 3 did put the smack on Logan, as I predicted they would. And it was Logan that tucked tail and decided not to continue playing. I have that from a source close to the situation. :mrgreen:

LHS 72
S

Post by LHS 72 »

Ground Buck wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:06 am
Yes, THE 3 did put the smack on Logan, as I predicted they would. And it was Logan that tucked tail and decided not to continue playing. I have that from a source close to the situation. :mrgreen:
Last few years has been even to advantage LOGAN! My sources tell me that NY dropped Logan from the schedule! :mrgreen:

Return to “Football”