South Point
4%

Total votes: 104

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Re: 2017 OVC Preview/Predictions

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

and blue devils as well

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Until proven otherwise, Ironton is the championship favorite. They are not the Tigers of yore, but they are undefeated in their first two years of conference play. The reconfigured OVC though has a chance to be the most competitively balanced conference in southern Ohio.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I agree omega. would love to see a very strong ovc depth wise, and the soc picking it up overall as well. so we can all start making some playoff runs.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
purpleblood1
JV Team

Post by purpleblood1 »

Chesapeake will be even better in the backfield this coming year, as always the line will be a question mark along with the defense. I think if the kids hit the weight room they will be contending again. The kids need to work harder in the weight room. The top teams will be Chesapeake, Portsmouth & Ironton along with Rock Hill, Coal Grove, and Fairland.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

good luck to yer purple panthers blood.

Native Blood
JV Team

Post by Native Blood »

I really think Rock hill will surprise everyone this year.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body;
but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming:
"WOW...WHAT A RIDE!!!"
LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

they took the Trojans to the limit, honestly probably should have won that game

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

hopefully the whole league is deeper this year.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth has a lot of questions that need to be answered in 2017......who will be the QB?.......who will be the go to WR?.......will the defense finally be good enough to hold opponents to under 30 PPG?.......will PHS find a placekicker and punter?.........can the Trojans beat more than one team with a winning record?........can having only 4 home games affect the Trojans' overall record?......will the participation numbers continue to improve?

Many questions, with no certain answers. The main focus for Portsmouth football should be the defense, which is the unit most responsible for the decade long demise of this program. The defense has to improve dramatically for Portsmouth football to take a major step forward.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

looking forward to some more tigers/Trojans matchups dave for all the marbles.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Weekly schedule updated

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

awesome.

Tribe nation
Waterboy

Post by Tribe nation »

RH might surprise a few people this year

IBTT
All Conference

Post by IBTT »

Looking at the OVC, myself, I would have to think Ironton would be a huge favorite against the rest of the league this year with the talent level they have coming back and the experience these kids got last season. Ironton's strength program is the best it's been in years along with finally having experience to back up most all positions.

That being said, I would have to say although last season wasn't very good to this team, Fairland to me looks like a very talented group of kids that didn't lose much and came on strong at the end of the year. If they continue to improve their offense and don't drop off defensively, they would look to be #2 in my opinion.

#3 could come down to 3 teams.

Portsmouth- with Parker on the field, anyone who ever saw his daddy play knows the talent in his genetics. If they can put together a defense and a couple kids step up on offense they could be competitive.

Chesapeake- one of the top backfields in the OVC this year. Give these kids a line and if they can put together a defense, they could be back into the playoffs.

Rock Hill- a lot of people are relying on the new coach. Good coaches give their players opportunities to win. This works if there is enough talent to compete on the level. It might be a couple of years before even he can give this bunch that opportunity. The seniors leaving this year along with imo the best player on the team transferring out. Might be a tough couple of years, at least the seats will be filled all year with having one of the areas top coaches on the sidelines.

Coal Grove, South Point and Galia will be fighting for respect as will the previous three teams this year. However, Coal Grove graduated most of their team last year. Gallipolis is still trying to get their bearings. South Point is trying
to restart their program.

If any of the five bottom teams get more than four OVC wins I would be shocked.

My guess: OVC 2017
1 - Ironton 7-0
2 - Fairland 5-2
2 - Portsmouth 5-2
4 - Chesapeake 4-3
5 - Rock Hill 3-4
6 - Gallipolis 2-5
6 - Coal Grove 2-5
8 - South Point 0-7

OVC
JV Team

Post by OVC »

From what I'm being told, Coal Grove will be towards the bottom of the barrel with no sign up... Pathetic what's going on down there.

Contemplating all life choices and loyalties…
IBTT
All Conference

Post by IBTT »

OVC wrote:From what I'm being told, Coal Grove will be towards the bottom of the barrel with no sign up... Pathetic what's going on down there.
I have to agree, good guy at the coaching position. He is their best man for the job. When the decision was made to make him the man, they should have gave him a chance to build up the program his way.

SportFan08
Riding the Bench

Post by SportFan08 »

IBTT wrote:
OVC wrote:From what I'm being told, Coal Grove will be towards the bottom of the barrel with no sign up... Pathetic what's going on down there.
I have to agree, good guy at the coaching position. He is their best man for the job. When the decision was made to make him the man, they should have gave him a chance to build up the program his way.
Wait a minute... Kidd chose not to coach. I don't care what anyone says, that BOE hired him the past two years and for some to say he didn't have support or give him a chance is a lie.

OVC
JV Team

Post by OVC »

SportFan08 wrote:
IBTT wrote:
Wait a minute... Kidd chose not to coach. I don't care what anyone says, that BOE hired him the past two years and for some to say he didn't have support or give him a chance is a lie.
I'm not sure what's going on. I've heard from a friend from CG there's a "plan in place" to where he won't be coaching. Also, remember he was let go and brought back last year by the BOE, and he was their second choice last year. The AD never fought for him, superintendent never had his back. So did he have support? From the kids and community, yes. From an administrational standpoint, no.

Contemplating all life choices and loyalties…
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

what's going on there, are the kids not coming out. that would be a shame and an certain black eye.and if they do not field a team, every team in the ovc now has an open date.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

wow I had no idea. I'm glad I grew up in a different time and bob lutz shielded us from this stuff by not allowing it to ever start or fester.

Return to “Football”