Coming soon: 10 question interviews I have done with some coaches.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Coming soon: 10 question interviews I have done with some coaches.

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Thought it would be nice to see what some coaches think on some topics.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Coming soon: 10 question interviews I have done with some coaches.

So far

Ast Coach Young-Cincinnati Aiken
Head coach Hollon- Paint Valley
Ast Coach-Ziegler- Millersport
Head Coach-Jeremy Pflug- Cincinnati Aiken
Head Coach-Robert Rachel-Gamble Montessori

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Interview
Head Coach-Head Coach-Robert Rachel-Gamble Montessori

Coach thanks for your time and good luck in 2017.

Here are the answers from the coach

1-What is your back ground as a player and a coach?

I attended Robert A, Taft high school where I played varsity football for 3 years. My sophomore and Junior Year I played quarterback. But my senior year I played everywhere Running back, tight end and slot
receiver. On defense I played linebacker and strong safety . After that I graduated from Taft in 1993 I attend
the college of Mount Saint Joe for two years where I played receiver, kick returner and punt returner. In
2012 I coach at Northwest High school until 2015 where I coach defensive line. Then in 2016 I became the
head coach at Gamble Montessori.

2-Compeitive Balance: Will it work?
Competitive balance will work. I believe playing schools on your level is better off for the kids at the end of the day. For example I coach at Gamble Montessori a division 7 football program that plays in the Cincinnati Metro Athletic Conference where there are division 3 and 4 schools. Gamble is the very smallest of them at division 7. It is very disheartening when we go play these bigger schools and they have 50 kids and we only have 25 kids. However I would like to add when we (Gamble Montessori) played team on our level we were able to compete and the games were very competitive. But once we got to the second part of our schedule the division 3 and 4 teams we struggle big time.

3-Where should the state finals be held?
I believe the state championships should be held in Columbus because it’s a great venue for the kids and a great experience for them. They get to play on a college field on a big stage I think its awesome. I say keep the state finals in Columbus.

4-Ohio has higher ticket prices than a lot of states come playoff and finals time. Do you think the O.H.S.A.A. charges to much or is the price fine?

Yes the prices are too high I think the prices should stay the same. Prices should not change because it’s the playoffs.

5-How often does your team practice the kicking game?
My team practices the kicking game about 3 times a week. But I think this coming season in 2017 we will be putting more time into the kicking game.

6-How important is it for the lower levels to run the same offense and defense, as the high school does?

Me being a first year head coach and basically rebuilding the program I think its very important for my feeder program and junior high teams to run the same offense and defense as the high school. Because that’s how you build a strong program year in year out

7-What is the one place as a player or coach you enjoy playing or coaching at the most?
Myself I love playing road games. I love to get on the bus and get focused. We have a rule no talking on the bus because this is what we call getting “locked in” and ready to play. Home games to me are boring because there is a lot going on such as the wait to play etc. ROAD GAMES ARE THE BEST.

8-If you had the talent what would be the one offense and defense you would like to run?

If I had the talent I know a lot of people love the spread offense. But I think I will stick with the double wing offense because you can do so much with that offense. The offense is designed for small school with no talent. But when you put some athletes in that offense you can really thrive. So double wing offense it is.

9-What are your thoughts on playing out of state opponents
My thoughts on playing out of state opponents is great. I would love to take a road trip out of state to play other schools. I would like to see what other states have to offers. I would love to be apart of something like we have at the beginning of the southwest ohio skyline shootout. So instead of playing local teams lets bring some teams from Indiana, Kentucky or even west Virginia. I think that would be a blast.

10-Thursday games: For or against?

I am against Thursday games because for some that is a short turn around to get kids prepared to play football. Give me Friday or Saturday night and Im good with that. However thanks for the interview and I hope you attend another one of Gamble Montessori football games.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Interesting

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I agree reply. very informative thanks LCF.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Yeah, I had a good time reading this.

The only thing that threw me off was the competitive balance reply. It doesn't affect the league schedule at all, and depending on what GM's enrollment situation is like maybe they could get bumped up?

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

formerfcfan wrote:Yeah, I had a good time reading this.

The only thing that threw me off was the competitive balance reply. It doesn't affect the league schedule at all, and depending on what GM's enrollment situation is like maybe they could get bumped up?

Agreed, he showed zero understanding of what the competitive balance initiative is.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I KINDA GOT THAT TOO.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Interview #2

Your Name School Name Your Position Tristan young ..Cincinnati Aiken... Offensive/ defensive line coach and head varsity wrestling coach

1-What is your back ground as a player and a coach?1) from 5th grade to senior year I played 3 years of football. Injury and when I reached age to work I was working 3-4 hours a day after school so I couldnt always play every sport all year round. (I moved out and lived on my own my senior year in HS)
This is my 3rd year as a football coach. I was with our HC pflug at landmark 1 year and we have been at Aiken for 2 years now. As far as wrestling I was an assistant for Princeton off and on for 3 years and have been the HC at Aiken for 2 years.

2-Compeitive Balance: Will it work?2) I think it WILL work , BUT I love seeing when those little teams WANT to sign the bigger teams out of their leagues. Don't get me wrong I think its fair, but those little schools dont have anything to lose and I love to see it.

3-Which is harder for you to coach, Football or wrestling?3) I would say football with having more kids, fridays are hectic getting everything ready then having to do it all over again at JV on Saturday morning. Wrestling once you get weighed in is all on the mat at that point!

4-Where should the state finals be held?4) Columbus 100% its pretty much central to just about everyone.

5-Ohio has higher ticket prices than a lot of states come playoff and finals time. Do you think the O.H.S.A.A. charges to much or is the price fine?5) no. You are seeing the best of the best the state has to offer.

6-Best player you coached against and played against6) best RB I have coached against will Coker from Woodward HS. He rushed for 2300 yards and 29 td's last year literally he single handily beat us.
As far against , the CHL had a heavy influx of really good athletes when I was in school. Pj pope played for Wyoming then went on to bowling green then the NFL ( I still occasionally play softball against him) .
DeShawn Wynn from reading HS went to Florida and then drafted to the NFL. And on that same team tony pike who played for reading then UC and eventually the NFL.

7-How tough is it coaching at a Cincinnati public high school?7) every school / school district has their good and bad. CPS tried to put the best foot forward and help on and off the field for the kids as much as they can.

8-As a coach in either sport, what is the most gratifying thing for you 8) I've had lots of great moments. Coached some great student athletes, but the one thing thats stuck out with me is being able to REALLY introduce the sport of wrestling to an inner city public where the sport was on the verge of being cut. For 3 years prior to getting the HC job they had 2 and 3 kids. Last year I had as many as 8 weights filled. Our next event at reading HS we should have 10 weight classes filled. I love the fact the football guys have taken a liking to the sport. Coach pflug has helped me 110% in getting the football guys to be on the mat in the winter.

9- The one school you want to coach against more than any other?9) the one school I'd love to coach against would be Taylor HS. That's where I went to school. They are D4 we are D5. Would be a pretty good match up they are big and strong we are fast and athletic would be a fun game. (Plus I have a few guys I went to HS with that coach there so I'd want some bragging rights)

10-How important is it for the lower levels to run the same offense and defense, as the high school does?10) very. Our coaches try to get with the middle school coaches and practices as much as we can. We love for them to know our schemes and what we run before they get to the 9th grade.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

another good one LCF

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

noreply66 wrote:another good one LCF
I am grateful that I have been able to meet some cool coaches, when I cover their teams.I think this is their way of thinking me for the coverage they get. I won't post the kind words they say, but will say it is a far cry from some of the crap posters post. :D

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Interview 3

Jeremy Pflug - Aiken High School - Head Varsity Coach

1-What is your back ground as a player and a coach? Played QB for Walnut Hills in HS - joined the Morehead State staff as a film assistant and served for 3 years before graduating. Upon graduation, I took my first position as a coach at Finneytown as Jr. High HC and high school assistant. I took my first head coaching position at Landmark Christian and then moved on to Aiken HS as the current Head Coach.

2-Compeitive Balance: Will it work? I don't believe competitive balance will work. I think people will always figure out a way around "balance".

3-Where should the state finals be held? I like that the state finals are being held in Columbus. It gives central ground for everyone. It allows everyone an equal opportunity to see their team... also, it is great for the students to get to play in Ohio Stadium.

4-Ohio has higher ticket prices than a lot of states come playoff and finals time. Do you think the O.H.S.A.A. charges to much or is the price fine? I believe they do... every student should have an opportunity to see their team. Tickets close to $10 a piece are way too high for a student to pay.

5- Are you in favor of Thursday Night Games? I like Thursday night games given our circumstances. It allows our program an opportunity to be the only game in the city and give our student-athletes some publicity and looks that they normally wouldn't get.

6-What is the offense and defense you would prefer to run,if you have the talent? I like to run a spread out version of the flexbone... and on defense - a blitzing 4-2-5.

7-The hardest place as a player to play or coach at? Being the quarterback is the hardest position to play... and as a former quarterback myself, it's the hardest position to coach. The QB gets all the credit... win or lose - and its his job to graciously give the credit to everyone else when you win and take the shoulder of the blame when you lose. It takes a special person to lead a team and be the QB.

8- The one coach you enjoying beating the most? Haha... he's a great person and coach but beating the H.O.Fer Jim Place both times I've coached against him has been really nice.

9-What is the one team you have not coached against, that you would love to have a shot at? My alma mater, Walnut Hills. I am and always will be an Eagle... that being said, I would love the shot to take Aiken into Marx Stadium and give them a run for their money.

10-How often does your team work on special teams? Every single day... I believe that special teams gives you an opportunity to change the outcome of a game in a single play. if you can become great at special teams, you can put added pressure on your opponent which can lead to easy points.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Everyone should be thankful to anyone that put the high school sport to readers.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote:Interview #2

Your Name School Name Your Position Tristan young ..Cincinnati Aiken... Offensive/ defensive line coach and head varsity wrestling coach

1-What is your back ground as a player and a coach?1) from 5th grade to senior year I played 3 years of football. Injury and when I reached age to work I was working 3-4 hours a day after school so I couldnt always play every sport all year round. (I moved out and lived on my own my senior year in HS)
This is my 3rd year as a football coach. I was with our HC pflug at landmark 1 year and we have been at Aiken for 2 years now. As far as wrestling I was an assistant for Princeton off and on for 3 years and have been the HC at Aiken for 2 years.

2-Compeitive Balance: Will it work?2) I think it WILL work , BUT I love seeing when those little teams WANT to sign the bigger teams out of their leagues. Don't get me wrong I think its fair, but those little schools dont have anything to lose and I love to see it.

3-Which is harder for you to coach, Football or wrestling?3) I would say football with having more kids, fridays are hectic getting everything ready then having to do it all over again at JV on Saturday morning. Wrestling once you get weighed in is all on the mat at that point!

4-Where should the state finals be held?4) Columbus 100% its pretty much central to just about everyone.

5-Ohio has higher ticket prices than a lot of states come playoff and finals time. Do you think the O.H.S.A.A. charges to much or is the price fine?5) no. You are seeing the best of the best the state has to offer.

6-Best player you coached against and played against6) best RB I have coached against will Coker from Woodward HS. He rushed for 2300 yards and 29 td's last year literally he single handily beat us.
As far against , the CHL had a heavy influx of really good athletes when I was in school. Pj pope played for Wyoming then went on to bowling green then the NFL ( I still occasionally play softball against him) .
DeShawn Wynn from reading HS went to Florida and then drafted to the NFL. And on that same team tony pike who played for reading then UC and eventually the NFL.

7-How tough is it coaching at a Cincinnati public high school?7) every school / school district has their good and bad. CPS tried to put the best foot forward and help on and off the field for the kids as much as they can.

8-As a coach in either sport, what is the most gratifying thing for you 8) I've had lots of great moments. Coached some great student athletes, but the one thing thats stuck out with me is being able to REALLY introduce the sport of wrestling to an inner city public where the sport was on the verge of being cut. For 3 years prior to getting the HC job they had 2 and 3 kids. Last year I had as many as 8 weights filled. Our next event at reading HS we should have 10 weight classes filled. I love the fact the football guys have taken a liking to the sport. Coach pflug has helped me 110% in getting the football guys to be on the mat in the winter.

9- The one school you want to coach against more than any other?9) the one school I'd love to coach against would be Taylor HS. That's where I went to school. They are D4 we are D5. Would be a pretty good match up they are big and strong we are fast and athletic would be a fun game. (Plus I have a few guys I went to HS with that coach there so I'd want some bragging rights)

10-How important is it for the lower levels to run the same offense and defense, as the high school does?10) very. Our coaches try to get with the middle school coaches and practices as much as we can. We love for them to know our schemes and what we run before they get to the 9th grade.

Good questions, but again another coach who clearly does not understand what competitive balance actually is.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Just talked to coach Smith from Dension today at the gym. He has a lot of experience at the high school level and has agreed to do a online interview. I will post it as soon as it is completed.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Your Name Shawn Ziegler Your School Millersport Your position Ast Coach Millersport

1-What is your back ground as a player and a coach? Football background is pretty extensive. I started playing the age of 4. And played until the age of 30. I played high school football at Brookhaven ( Columbus). 3 year starter, 3x All City honors, 3x All district honors, 3x All State honors. I played middle linebacker and I hold the record at Brookhaven for most career tackles 436. Went on to play at the university of Toledo for 2 years where we won 2 Mac west championships and played in 2 bowl games motor city and music city bowls. Left school early to join the work force. But continued to play Semi pro football. Where I played in 5 national championship games winning 2. I was a 10x all league selection. 2x All American selection at Mlb. In my semi pro carrer we won over 125 games. Including 8 or 9 division championships, 5 league championships and 2 national championships. And I have now coached high school ball for 3 years .

2-competitive balance: Will it have any affect on the private and open enrollment schools having such a big upper hand?The competitive balance in high school football is way out of wack. The private schools will always have the upper hand if they ate able to go out and offer kids vouchers to play at their schools. I coached for a high school team that would only dress 20 kids half who have never played before. Compared to A harvest prep school who dresses 40 and has multiple transfer kids on voucher to play .

3-Who was the best team you have coached against?The best team I have coached against in my few years would have to be Bexley Lions, and the Harvest prep team this last year.

4-What is the hardest part about coaching at such a small school-The hardest part of coaching at a small school is the sheer lack of experience and talent the players come in with and the small numbers of kid you get to play. I don't care who or where you are it's hard to win with 20 kids.

5- Who is the best player you ever played or coached against?I've played with and against a lot of great players. Played against Ben Rothlesburger, played against Byron Leftwich . Played with Bruce Gradkowski , and Lance Moore in Toledo. And so many more it would take all night to discuss.

6-Where should the state finals be held?I think the state championships should rotate around the state. A different place every year. Bring exposure to all parts of the state.

7-Ohio has higher ticket prices than a lot of states come playoff and finals time. Do you think the O.H.S.A.A. charges to much or is the price fine?I think the prices are okay. But I think most of the money collected should be put back into the schools that are participating in the playoffs.

8-Who is the one school as a player or as a coach you enjoy beating the most?I enjoy beating every team the same. There is nothing like walking off the field on a Friday night as a victorious coach.

9-How important is it for the lower levels to run the same offense and defense, as the high school does? It is very important for the younger kids to be exposed to the system early. It gives them multiple years to be the playbook and learning the ins and outs of the system they will be running in high school. Practice breeds winners.

10-What do you think is the best way to get more players to play? The best way to get guys out is to build a reputation as a coach who cares. And prove to the kids and the parents that you are fully invested in helping to shape their young men into functioning members of society. After you do that you will then start winning football games. If you build it they will come.

bbn77
All Conference

Post by bbn77 »

Out of all these interviews this Coach Ziegler one is my favorite. Knowledgable guy with an exceptional track record it seems like

ROLL PEAKE
LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Your Name,John Young School Name Denison University, Your Position,Cornerbacks

1-What is your back ground as a player and a coach?I played High School Football at St. Clairsville, college ball at Mount Union, and coached 18 years at the High School level before working at the college level in 2014.

2-Where should the state finals be held?At any central location of the state, as long as the facilities(field, locker rooms, stands, parking, concessions, etc.) were more than acceptable.

3--Ohio has higher ticket prices than a lot of states come playoff and finals time. Do you think the O.H.S.A.A. charges to much or is the price fine?As far as I know, the price is fine.

4-Who was the Best player you coached against and played against?Jose Davis from Bellaire is the best high school QB I've ever seen. I've also had the opportunity to coach against Le'veon Bell from Groveport Madison. While playing in high school I had to line up over Joey Galloway.......he was "kind of" fast. lol!

5-What is your dream job goes as far as going back to the high school level?No real dream job........just like to compete with our kids. I enjoy seeing them grow as players, but more importantly as people.

6-How important is it for the lower levels to run the same offense and defense?My personal belief is that the lower levels have a basic understanding of the varsity scheme. They should understand terminology and calls, as well as fundamental drills. However, I also believe that there should be tweaks that best fit the personnel on the field, which would enable those players to experience success.

7-Are you in favor of Thursday Night Games?Not very much. I would be more in favor of Thursday night games if our student-athletes did not have school on Friday.

8-Do you believe the private schools and open enrollment schools has a big advantage over public schools that have close enrollments?Yes. Private schools and open enrollment adversely affect the outcome of games.

9-What is your favorite defense to run?I personally have an attachment to a 4-man front.......but it would truly depend on the personnel we had coming through our program. I like to mold the scheme to the type of players that are on the field.

10-Knowing you are currently at Denison University I have to ask one college like question.
Why should a player look to Denison to continue not only his football career but also for education?Denison is one of the top 50 to top 100 educational facilities in the country. The quality of education and the relationships built among
our players is top tier. I know it sounds like a selling point, but it's what I truly believe. Our guys will leave Denison with the opportunity to pick the job of their choice. Keep in mind that organizations and businesses recruit our guys, not the other way around......not to mention that our staff truly cares about our players, and our players care about our staff and one-another. We truly have a Denison family.

Coach thanks for the time and good luck next season.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Part three is in the works.
Just bring this up in case anyone missed it.

Return to “Football”