Local Newspapers

bbn77
All Conference

Local Newspapers

Post by bbn77 »

What newspaper in the area has the best sports write ups and coverage? From what I hear it's definitely not the PDT :mrgreen:

ROLL PEAKE
Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Re: Local Newspapers

Post by Chieftain2009 »

Logan Daily News with Craig Dunn is quite good, and has been for a long time.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Back when posters were so kind to send me a copy of their local papers preview, I always liked the Chillicothe paper and the Ironton paper previews.

bbn77
All Conference

Post by bbn77 »

I enjoy Grant Traylor's write ups in the Huntington Herald Dispatch. He doesn't cover Ohio HS sports a ton, usually just boys basketball but he always has some good articles. Tim Stephens from the tribune has always been a classy writer, wish he'd cover more than what seems to be a lot of Fairland events though

ROLL PEAKE
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I think the ironton tribune locally , and the herald dispatch out of Huntington.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
bighead
All State

Post by bighead »

OVP Gallipolis paper Preview ! Area teams Gallia Meigs Mason very nice full color and glossy cover furnished to area local schools for free the athletes. Available to the public for.50 cents

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

The Athens Messenger does great with what they are given to use in terms of space & staff. Kevin Wiseman & Jason Arkley are about as good as it gets. Talented writers and incredible devotion.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Chieftain2009 wrote:Logan Daily News with Craig Dunn is quite good, and has been for a long time.
No offense to Mr Dunn who does a nice job. But how many schools does he have to cover? 1? And when Logan plays Athens, Jackson, and a couple others on the road, the Daily just buys the article from a sister paper.

While the Daily Times has to cover, Northwest, West, Valley, Portsmouth, Norte Dame, Clay, New Boston, East, Minford, Webster, Burg, and Green just within the county, what paper in SE Ohio has the man power or even the column inch space to cover 12 teams and depending on the night, 8-10 different games?????

bbn77
All Conference

Post by bbn77 »

Pol pot wrote:
Chieftain2009 wrote:Logan Daily News with Craig Dunn is quite good, and has been for a long time.
No offense to Mr Dunn who does a nice job. But how many schools does he have to cover? 1? And when Logan plays Athens, Jackson, and a couple others on the road, the Daily just buys the article from a sister paper.

While the Daily Times has to cover, Northwest, West, Valley, Portsmouth, Norte Dame, Clay, New Boston, East, Minford, Webster, Burg, and Green just within the county, what paper in SE Ohio has the man power or even the column inch space to cover 12 teams and depending on the night, 8-10 different games?????
Alex Hider was good, but the Times has gone downhill since he left. At least get the mascots of teams in the coverage areA right. Saying Clay Indians and Green Bulldogs is simply unacceptable to publish in the local paper.

ROLL PEAKE
Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

Pol pot wrote:

Not a whole lot he or anybody else can do about there being 1 team in the area to cover. He does a fantastic job covering ALL sports for the Chieftains. And he's won numerous awards for his writing. I was just simply pointing out that he does a good job. I said nothing about any other papers being anything less.

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

Chieftain2009 wrote:
Pol pot wrote:

Not a whole lot he or anybody else can do about there being 1 team in the area to cover. He does a fantastic job covering ALL sports for the Chieftains. And he's won numerous awards for his writing. I was just simply pointing out that he does a good job. I said nothing about any other papers being anything less.
Not bad for a homer!

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Pol pot wrote:

What is the point of this post?
Dunn does a good job. Yes, he only has one school to cover but he does it quite well.
Why not just mention how well you thînk the Daily times does without trying to tear down another paper?

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Soccerfan1
Freshman Team

Post by Soccerfan1 »

I know that the Times Recorder in Zanesville and several other areas around the state have a "Game Night" on their sports pages on line... If you can get a person that tweets at games, you can follow several games from your phone, but it requires people to tweet and hashtag the paper to send it to the live feeds.

It has helped several local athletes, teams, and fans get noticed or keep up with their favorite team when they cant make games!

The TR in Zanesville at least has a devoted group of reporters that write, tweet and follow several school "tweeters" to keep the most accurate data possible.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Pol pot wrote:
No offense to Mr Dunn who does a nice job. And when Logan plays Athens, Jackson, and a couple others on the road, the Daily just buys the article from a sister paper.
This is false.

Since Craig Dunn has been back as the SE at the LDN he has been in person to cover and write the game story for EVERY SINGLE LHS football game. I know because A) I've sat with him in the booth at about 75% of those games and B) I have them all saved on my computer.

Craig is fortunate to only have one game to cover. But he also runs (usually) three weekly preview stories (From the Logan perspective, an opponent scouting report, and a "Notes" column).

I will throw in the folks at the Messenger - especially Jason Arkley and Kevin Wiseman. Those guys do an excellent job covering Athens County and the TVC.

Despite the challenges for the newspaper industry today, we have some great local papers doing a top notch job.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Orange and Brown wrote:
Pol pot wrote:

Dunn does a good job. Yes, he only has one school to cover but he does it quite well.
Why not just mention how well you thînk the Daily times does without trying to tear down another paper?

The point of this post was to point out that NOT every community is as easy or affordable to cover! Notice I said he does a nice job! Logan is lucky because they have Craig, but they are also lucky they do not have to compete against other schools for column space. These Scioto County people and other areas complain about how their schools get slighted, but in reality they simply do not have the space or staff! If Craig was responsible for a dozen schools, I believe he'd even tell you how tough that would be to satisfy everyone, especially this crowd!

If you got offended by the post, tough, I simply used as an example the one Daily in the region who covers 1 school and compared that situation to a community that has a dozen schools to cover.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Orange and Brown wrote:
Pol pot wrote:

And I'm pretty sure I never tore down Mr Dunn, nor did I state that I thought the Daily Times did a good job. Just pointing out the differences in circumstances.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

loganlocos wrote:
Pol pot wrote:
No offense to Mr Dunn who does a nice job. And when Logan plays Athens, Jackson, and a couple others on the road, the Daily just buys the article from a sister paper.
This is false.

Since Craig Dunn has been back as the SE at the LDN he has been in person to cover and write the game story for EVERY SINGLE LHS football game. I know because A) I've sat with him in the booth at about 75% of those games and B) I have them all saved on my computer.

Craig is fortunate to only have one game to cover. But he also runs (usually) three weekly preview stories (From the Logan perspective, an opponent scouting report, and a "Notes" column).

I will throw in the folks at the Messenger - especially Jason Arkley and Kevin Wiseman. Those guys do an excellent job covering Athens County and the TVC.

Despite the challenges for the newspaper industry today, we have some great local papers doing a top notch job.
Those guys do a great job as well, however, they catch crap all the time for not covering all 5 county teams with equal space and game stories. Again, Dunn has advantages that others do not have, but if he was covering 5-12 teams, he'd be getting complaints left and right, that's just how it goes.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Pol pot wrote:
Orange and Brown wrote:
Pol pot wrote:

And I'm pretty sure I never tore down Mr Dunn, nor did I state that I thought the Daily Times did a good job. Just pointing out the differences in circumstances.
Well you did accuse the ldn of buying their stories from other papers and this is indeed false.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Orange and Brown wrote:
Pol pot wrote:
Orange and Brown wrote:

Well you did accuse the ldn of buying their stories from other papers and this is indeed false.

No, never said they buy them. Fact, the Logan Daily is a sister paper to several SE Ohio papers. When Logan plays several sports on the road the sports editors share the stories, they are property of the same company.

Here is a Craig Dunn article for the Jackson paper when Jackson played at Logan

http://www.timesjournal.com/sports/jack ... 67911.html

Here is a Paul Boggs story in the Logan Daily when Logan played at Jackson.

http://www.logandaily.com/sports/ironme ... 7cedc.html

Here is a Kevin Wiseman article in the Logan Daily covering a Logan game at Athens.

http://www.logandaily.com/sports/kudlap ... d0179.html

And Dunn writes almost every article (save a football game) for the Messenger when Athens plays at Logan.

The entire network of this company utilizes this network and it provides good coverage, but again, to my original point, not every paper has this resource.
Last edited by Pol pot on Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

Pol pot wrote:
Orange and Brown wrote:
Pol pot wrote:

No, never said they buy them. Fact, the Logan Daily is a sister paper to several SE Ohio papers. When Logan plays several sports on the road the sports editors share the stories, they are property of the same company.

Here is a Craig Dunn article for the Jackson paper when Jackson played at Logan

http://www.timesjournal.com/sports/jack ... 67911.html

Here is a Paul Boggs story in the Logan Daily when Logan played at Jackson.

http://www.logandaily.com/sports/ironme ... 7cedc.html
I know what you mean, but you did in fact just lie! Look a couple post up and you said they just buy the article when they play some other teams on the road.

Return to “Football”