small powerhouse schools

BurgGrad6
SE

small powerhouse schools

Post by BurgGrad6 »

How are small schools like coldwater and Marion Local so dominant every year? It doesn't make sense. Those schools could compete with any school in the state!! :?:

Pol pot
SE

Re: small powerhouse schools

Post by Pol pot »

BurgGrad6 wrote:How are small schools like coldwater and Marion Local so dominant every year? It doesn't make sense. Those schools could compete with any school in the state!! :?:

They are the best at schools their size, but they are not competing against the best DIII, II and I schools.

Dandy Don
All Conference

Post by Dandy Don »

Discipline
Work Ethic
Values
Tradition

Feed those into the machine called MAC football...and it spits out winners.

BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

Dandy Don wrote:Discipline
Work Ethic
Values
Tradition

There is a few schools in our area that have that and are consistent. But no where near the level of those two. It's truly amazing to watch theses teams play!!
Pol pot I idk. I think they can compete with those schools.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

it's a great question.

HE'S RIGHT YOU KNOW.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
LHS 72
S

Post by LHS 72 »

Dandy Don wrote:Discipline
Work Ethic
Values
Tradition

For once I agree year after year!

Dandy Don
All Conference

Post by Dandy Don »

I will add in another quality I bet is almost non-existent in the MAC, and that is the helicopter parent hovering over their kid and filling his head about this or that and who should get more touches or who should be playing where. I can't stand this. I 100% bet that the MAC schools send Johnny to practice the first day and say go work hard and go find a place to play, it don't matter where, just go contribute somewhere, anywhere to make your team better.

I know way too many parents that would rather have their kid be the "superstar" if there is such a thing in small-town USA and be on a 2-8 team, than be part of something much larger than they are...A GOOD TEAM. If a kid hears from peewee that so and so should be here or there and you little Johnny are the greatest thing since sliced bread, then news flash, they start to believe it and act like it. It is a cancer that once started cannot be stopped from spreading.

If parents would simply STHU and encourage their player to work hard, compete and be part of something it would be a lot better for small schools which I think are very prone to this problem due to their size. Too much chirping from the peanut gallery. And now that we have FB-Twitter-Instagram-Texting...god help us all we can whine and moan instantaneously about all the "wrongs".

My guess is the MAC schools or more devoid of this problem than some other small schools.

LHS 72
S

Post by LHS 72 »

Dandy Don wrote:I will add in another quality I bet is almost non-existent in the MAC, and that is the helicopter parent hovering over their kid and filling his head about this or that and who should get more touches or who should be playing where. I can't stand this. I 100% bet that the MAC schools send Johnny to practice the first day and say go work hard and go find a place to play, it don't matter where, just go contribute somewhere, anywhere to make your team better.

I know way too many parents that would rather have their kid be the "superstar" if there is such a thing in small-town USA and be on a 2-8 team, than be part of something much larger than they are...A GOOD TEAM. If a kid hears from peewee that so and so should be here or there and you little Johnny are the greatest thing since sliced bread, then news flash, they start to believe it and act like it. It is a cancer that once started cannot be stopped from spreading.

If parents would simply STHU and encourage their player to work hard, compete and be part of something it would be a lot better for small schools which I think are very prone to this problem due to their size. Too much chirping from the peanut gallery. And now that we have FB-Twitter-Instagram-Texting...god help us all we can whine and moan instantaneously about all the "wrongs".

My guess is the MAC schools or more devoid of this problem than some other small schools.
Good Conservative farming families!

kuruguru
Waterboy

Post by kuruguru »

population density

Dandy Don
All Conference

Post by Dandy Don »

Exactly LHS 72, exactly.

Wheelersburg is on the right track and the closest thing to what the MAC has consistently in SEO today. Jackson and Logan have traditionally turned out solid programs too on a consistent basis, and it appears the Ironmen are gonna roll for some time (as much as I hate to admit this lol). Ironton was the 70's-80's version of today's Coldwater and Maria Stein. Delphos comes to mind as well for small school success in the past decades.

There is no shame in not being the "best" player on the field...grinders and those kids that help anywhere they can...often get more out of this experience than the "superstar" long-term. Being part of something bigger than you is what the MAC schools represents to me.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

I was looking at their rosters the other day. Coldwater had 86 kids and Marion Local had 81. Winning cures alot of evils but both have alot of 2 way players. Imagine how many don't even start JV?

Marion Local will probably still win the state if they beat Mechanicsburg this week. They say they are down because of a few injuries. You would think with 81 kids injuries would never be a problem and few would play 2 ways. That just shows how thin rosters can be around here when a big turnout is 60 kids.

Dandy Don
All Conference

Post by Dandy Don »

Good topic, I will get off my soapbox now, lol.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Dandy Don wrote:Exactly LHS 72, exactly.

Wheelersburg is on the right track and the closest thing to what the MAC has consistently in SEO today. Jackson and Logan have traditionally turned out solid programs too on a consistent basis, and it appears the Ironmen are gonna roll for some time (as much as I hate to admit this lol). Ironton was the 70's-80's version of today's Coldwater and Maria Stein. Delphos comes to mind as well for small school success in the past decades.

There is no shame in not being the "best" player on the field...grinders and those kids that help anywhere they can...often get more out of this experience than the "superstar" long-term. Being part of something bigger than you is what the MAC schools represents to me.
Wheelersburg has a good program and good academics. But location means alot. Kids from New Boston, Sciotoville East, South Webster, Green, and Minford can easily drive there. Some are closer to Wheelersburg than their home schools. Location Location Location.

Dandy Don
All Conference

Post by Dandy Don »

Well, not off my soapbox yet.

Westfan brings up a good point that has an effect I think on a program.

If you are a kid in a 80-person roster what do you think is gonna happen in the off-season if you want to play? Work your a$$ off that is what you are going to do, and be relentless about it. That competition whether it is in numbers or what will single-handedly make you better. I have to compete to win a spot. I have to be better than the next guy by next July/August if I want to see the field. Competition among kids when they are 14-18 creates people who understand that work translates to results, whether it is on a football field or in school.

Competition is a wonderful thing, it improves everyone (and the program) who participates in it.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Would no soccer teams in the MAC enhance football participation ?

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
cg-ironton fan
Freshman Team

Post by cg-ironton fan »

BurgGrad6 wrote:How are small schools like coldwater and Marion Local so dominant every year? It doesn't make sense. Those schools could compete with any school in the state!! :?:
coaching!!!!

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

Gotta have something to talk about now. :lol:

Dandy Don makes a good point. But I think it all comes down to continuity throughout each level of football. It seems like Coldh2o can just plug and play year in and year out. They teach their athletes from the time they are in peewee to the time they graduate. I think that has a lot to do with how consistent they are.

BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

Omega wrote:Would no soccer teams in the MAC enhance football participation ?
Idk but I think with these schools having wrestling it helps football!

BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

cg-ironton fan wrote:
coaching!!!!
Otten is a good coach... however, a coach doesn't execute nor are they the athletes on the field..

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

1. They are D5-D7
2. Good coaching and family values

Return to “Football”