Portsmouth West Head Coaching Job

sider
All Conference

Portsmouth West Head Coaching Job

Post by sider »

Since Triplett has already resigned, I'll start a new thread for this topic...post any thoughts on who you think will get it, has applied, or even who you think should get the job...

Black@Orange
Freshman Team

Re: Portsmouth West Head Coaching Job

Post by Black@Orange »

The job has only been open to in house teachers, at this point. I believe the school board will hire a new Super first. And sources tell me that will happen monday. Oak Hill guy should be the front runner, just guessing. But, back to the coaching job. The only teacher, that would have a chance is Parks. And everybody knows that he's headed south, as soon as he can. Coach Shaffer is not considered, a West teacher because he's a sub. Correct me if I'm wrong on that. I would think that he would be the front runner to get the job. Because after in house teachers, it goes to Coaches with a teaching certificate. Thats where I believe Coach Shaffer, has an avantage over Coach Bricker. And I don't even know if Coach Bricker will apply. I believe the kids would be happy with either, or a combination of both. But don't be surprised if a big name in H.S. football, from a big school, applies for the job!

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

West better move quickly the clock is ticking

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

There is alot of talent on the team this year. That combined with our schedule almost guarantees a good year this year. What I want to see is long-term success. Whoever gets the job, I want to see continued commitment to building a long term program. West took big steps in with coach T in that regard. Not only with the weight program, but the same basic terminology going down the the pee-wee level. Lets build on that.

I want to see a coach who has direct contact with the coaches and shows interest going down to the pee-wee level all year, not just in the football camp. I think their should be some seminars where the coach can tell them exactly what he wants and expects. Do things to let him speak to the younger kids and be around them. It means alot to them and builds interest in them.

It's just an example, but to me the reason Minford has showed big improvements the last few years is Brent Daniels. I know he's younger and has kids, but you see him everywhere. Doesn't matter if its a basketball game or baseball. He shows interest and helps on all levels in all sports. It make a big diffence.

West Side Pride
All Conference

Post by West Side Pride »

Had a couple apply, one coach from Portsmouth has showed ALOT of interest. Scott Bricker not interested.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

West Side Pride wrote:Had a couple apply, one coach from Portsmouth has showed ALOT of interest. Scott Bricker not interested.
are you meaning Shaffer, or someone on their current staff?

west siders
All State

Post by west siders »

Shaffer is a teacher at Portsmouth West. He is a full-time tutor.

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

Heath Hinton , I heard he put the Oak Hill job on hold to interview at West. :idea:

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

OSU 77 wrote:West better move quickly the clock is ticking
Im sure they'll drag their feet like all the other schools

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

I would imagine there will be plenty of applicants, maybe some big names too...West is really good job...I think Shaffer has a shot, he certainly has the credentials (winning at Portsmouth which was down at his arrival, playoff experience, knowledge of the game), the age is the only thing working against him and if he gets an interview the board will see that it won't be an issue for a while

West Side Pride
All Conference

siderman wrote:
West Side Pride wrote:Had a couple apply, one coach from Portsmouth has showed ALOT of interest. Scott Bricker not interested.

NO, not Bob, someone currently on Ports. staff.

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

West Side Pride wrote:
siderman wrote:

That would certainly be interesting...I don't see it happening, but lets say they bring in good plan and interview and you never know.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

West Side Pride wrote:
siderman wrote:

I'm sure the Portsmouth coaches are very aware of our talent right now. Or maybe their just tired of losing to West :122245

One things for sure, with a Portsmouth coach we would be chucking it alot more.

West Side Pride
All Conference

^^^May be true, but not what we need !!!!

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

agreed. I like some spread, but not all spread.

A 60-40 run-pass ratio would be about right.

Actually if it was a Portsmouth coach, I would be more concerned with defense than anything. I'm not a fan of the 4-4

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

UPNYA4 wrote:I heard that Bob Ashley is gonna apply?? Any truth to this??
If so I will be surprised, as he just came back to ND. I bet that would really upset the ND fans, leavening once for Minford, now leaving again for West. I would be shocked if this did happen.

I wonder who the Portsmouth applicant is. Anyone have some more info, or could you tell us what the coach at PHS currently coaches?

As for a PHS coach making it spread, don't be so positive. PHS was a very run heavy team for years, and had great success with it, although that was when PHS had a string of talented running backs. West seems to have several good running backs, so if a PHS guy were to go there I would expect more of a PHS offense from years past, not the spread look we run now.

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

siderman wrote:agreed. I like some spread, but not all spread.

A 60-40 run-pass ratio would be about right.

Actually if it was a Portsmouth coach, I would be more concerned with defense than anything. I'm not a fan of the 4-4
Our defense has been one thing that has been very good at West in Triplett's tenure. During his 4 year tenure West defense's have averaged 12 points per game. Say what you want about his offensive play-calling, but his (you have to give coach Miller credit too) defense and weight program has been second to none...This one reason I hope Shaffer gets it (or someone in staff), we have a good program established that could only be added to.

Portsmouth offense scheme is pretty solid, but I have to say I'm not a fan of their defense...it has only been good when they have had great athletes...I think whoever comes in will inherit a bloodline of hard-nosed, strong kids...hopefully the coach will adapt as they see fit.

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

Trojan_FB_Alum wrote:
UPNYA4 wrote:I heard that Bob Ashley is gonna apply?? Any truth to this??
If so I will be surprised, as he just came back to ND. I bet that would really upset the ND fans, leavening once for Minford, now leaving again for West. I would be shocked if this did happen.

I wonder who the Portsmouth applicant is. Anyone have some more info, or could you tell us what the coach at PHS currently coaches?

As for a PHS coach making it spread, don't be so positive. PHS was a very run heavy team for years, and had great success with it, although that was when PHS had a string of talented running backs. West seems to have several good running backs, so if a PHS guy were to go there I would expect more of a PHS offense from years past, not the spread look we run now.
I remember when Portsmouth was an I team and was successful...I thought they went back to that a little bit last year. Anyway, other than Burke or Clifford himself, I can't think of anyone else that would be a head coach somewhere else...that doesn't mean that someone else on staff couldn't be, I'm not real familiar with the staff (I think Born is the freshman coach)...and I don't see either Clifford or Burke leaving to go to West.

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

I'm sure it's not Burke, or Clifford. Outside of them, I would think both Duncans would make good coaches, but can't see them leaving. Newsome is the line coach, and played at Toledo, I'm sure he has the knowledge to be able to do the job, however I can't see him leaving either.

The 4-4 is a great D, but you have to have the athletes to run it. PHS’s biggest problem in my opinion out of it lately, is they have lacked enough fast athletic defensive linemen. You must have quick guys up front to be successful out of the 4-4, if not it is too easy to double up on a d linemen and check off on a blitz. I agree that the 4-4 is not a defensive scheme that would work well for West. The Senators normally have very large strong linemen, but I don’t know if they have the speed and athleticism to be successful in the 4-4

Westsider1993
JV Team

Post by Westsider1993 »

The key was said earlier, be able to adapt to your athletes. As long as you call the holes the same and you are speaking the same terminology as far as blocking schemes go it doesn't matter if you run the I, the bone, the T, or a pro set you can get the same outcome. The 2 hole is still the 2 hole and the 3 back is still the 3 back. Different formations would be nice though they allow you to run straight ahead when needed and not off tackle so much. But I am not applying for the job and I doubt the coach to be really cares what I think.

Return to “Football”