Southern Ohio Football

Poo Bear
SEOP

Southern Ohio Football

Post by Poo Bear »

Watching these championship games it really sinks in how far away the teams in our area are from even being competitive with these teams .

king kong
Freshman Team

Re: Southern Ohio Football

Post by king kong »

I have been to the state championships since the mid 90's, the odds of competing with the rest of the state from teams around here are astronomical!

Think about this, could you have taken an all star team from all Scioto County, or Lawarence County or any county in Southeast Ohio and compete at the championship level?

Look at boys basketball, it took kids moving into districts to get South Webster and Oak Hill over the top and get by Africentric and basketball only requires 7-8 deep to win. Football requires 25 + depth to be competitive at the championship level.

There are so many factors that go into winning at a high level in football, 100 boys in a school around here, are not the same as 100 boys living in other parts of the state. So many factors that are out of the hands of a school to control.

Football around here is competitive with itself, and occasionally a strong team makes a run, but I don't see a time when another football championship comes to this region.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Didn't the burg take Hartley to ot 3 years ago

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

there will always be the once in a decade group of athletes, but over all, top to bottom, Southern Ohio cant compete with the powers that be year ina nd year out,Coaching,program stability and recruiting will always leave them behind.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

I hate when people say this. There are over 700 high schools and about 25 have a realistic shot to win state. Yeah if you compare Jackson to Akron Hoban it would be a 50 point beat down but Akron Hoban would beat 95% of D3 teams by 50

But D3 is another animal. Its pretty close to D1. Some of the teams Athens played had 10 D1 football players.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Southeastern Ohio has claimed championships and various teams have made deep playoff runs. Yet those events are the exception rather than the norm. Speed and athleticism wins football games. The socioeconomic/demographic make up of the district makes those scarce commodities. SEO fans should do what they can to support and promote excellence for their local teams and celebrate successes large or small.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

Somebody forgot to tell the kids from Trimble and Athens they didn't have a chance to play for a championship or the ones from Nelsonville-York they couldn't win one.

Eastern's Girls and Waterford's girls make a lie out of "Southern Ohio" can't do it.

I know there are others who have made it to the state or won championships but you get my point.

Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

Tuff for southern Ohio. I could not believe that the games were not on TV around here. The state really ought to be held accountable for that happening. I don't want to here you could watch it on your computer. I have watched these games every year until this year. Thank you Ohio state officials!

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

Poo Bear wrote:Watching these championship games it really sinks in how far away the teams in our area are from even being competitive with these teams .
man poo ain't that the truth.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

wow, and we had just switched to time warner this year tv wise. because we already had phone and internet with them. so we bundled it all. or I'd have missed them as I had directv up till about march. I didn't see that coming.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
EvilPaladin
Waterboy

Post by EvilPaladin »

From what I can see on film, these teams are pretty slow.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Notice this is not Paladin

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Ground Buck
All Conference

Post by Ground Buck »

Pa1adin wrote:From what I can see on film, these teams are pretty slow.
We know, everyone in SEO "looks slow on film" to you. Especially Jackson. :mrgreen:

Disclaimer: This is all an opinion and I am therefore hoping we can still express opinions on this site without retort.
noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Ground Buck wrote:
Pa1adin wrote:From what I can see on film, these teams are pretty slow.
We know, everyone in SEO "looks slow on film" to you. Especially Jackson. :mrgreen:
It is Pa1adin making the statement not Paladin.....Two different people. Paladin made the statement about Jackson.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

I post about Athens and Poland. Paladin always post about Logan and Lakeview. I get a double dose of him :lol:

Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

Realistically a southern Ohio team won't be winning a state title anytime soon. Yeah I know they have in the past but times has changed. It's not just depth of players but we also don't have the coaching the other powerhouses do. Just look at valley in the past 5 years they had probably their 2 best teams ever and yeah they had success but still was not enough.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Raider6309 wrote:I post about Athens and Poland. Paladin always post about Logan and Lakeview. I get a double dose of him :lol:
I bet he feels he gets a double dose of you :lol:

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

I have to agree with the other posters on this topic. The gap between southern Ohio football and the rest of the state is very large. There are rare occasions (Athens & Trimble) where a southern Ohio team can compete with the other regions but it is very rare.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

I wouldn't just use those two team. Sounds better with Ironton and Nelson/York teams that have won the championship

knightruner
JV Team

Post by knightruner »

There was a good write up on the MAC teams and why they do so good. They ask the coach's from Coldwater , Minister and Marion Local and it was very interesting what they said in the Dayton Daily Paper. The one thing that stuck out to me was they don't have pee wee football so two things happen with that. One,the kids are not burn out playing because Dad want's to relive his football and two they don't have to correct all the bad coaching they get in pee wee. They don't have soccer either and they were very happy about that. They talk about the support they got from the parents and the locals. They said there is no transfer's between schools there because the kids all know each other and they take pride in supporting their own school and there not looking for a quick fix. I listen to all the stuff said on this site about the transfer's and recuriting in southeast Ohio and it really hurts me being from there that parents let there kids transfer just to play ball instead of just going out and doing your best for your own school. They also said they don't have problems with the parents cause they know who are the best players and who is going to start in a game and if there little Johnny isn't playing they know why. They also know that it takes a whole team to win championships and it starts in practice with those second and third team members cause without them you don't have a whole lot.

Return to “Football”