SOC realignment

rolltribe
Waterboy

SOC realignment

Post by rolltribe »

There are only 5 teams in the SOC II while the is 7 in the SOC I. As we've seen in the past few years it's been difficult to fill games week 6-10. Burg travelled to Cincinnati to play north college hill, west played Batavia, and valley played pikeville this year. Last year valley couldn't even find a game and had an open week. What needs to be done? Do we add a school in football only? Or is NW or Oak Hill made to move up?

BiddyBallDaddy
Freshman Team

Re: SOC realignment

Post by BiddyBallDaddy »

You force Oak Hill to move up. They are bigger than the majority of schools in SOC 2 currently.

GoBucks1047
JV Team

Post by GoBucks1047 »

I don't see the SOC adding anyone football-only in SOC II, but Manchester could be added to SOC I for football only to help the SOC I get to 8. Oak Hill wouldn't be able to compete in SOC II year in and year out like the other SOC II do. Northwest currently has no chance in SOC II football now the way their program turned this year.

Personally, I'd prefer the SOC add Portsmouth to SOC II in all sports, drop South Webster (no football) down to SOC I and then add Ironton St. Joe (no football, after they improve their outdoor sports facilities) and Manchester to SOC I in football-only to keep SOC II in non-football sports at 8 and get football to 6, while SOC I would be at 8 in football and at 10 in non-football sports (do 2 divisions in SOC I to travel can be cut down in non-football sports). Won't happen though, Portsmouth is happy in the OVC.

GoBucks1047
JV Team

Post by GoBucks1047 »

Just thought of another idea, still won't happen, but put Ironton in the SOC II for football only and put Oak Hill in the OVC football only. I'm sure that would require a league merger that should happen, but won't.

one Oak
JV Team

Post by one Oak »

These are the boys enrollment figures according to the OHSAA

Valley 128
Wheelersburg 147
Oak Hill 152
Northwest 157
Minford 175
Portsmouth West 184
Waverly 217

I would like for Oak Hill to move to the TVC Ohio that currently has 7 members. South Gallia could move to the SOC I and Portsmouth could go to the SOC II. Oak Hill and Northwest shouldn't be in the SOC I and but it would be difficult for either one to compete in the SOC II right now. Wheelersburg has dominated the SOC II. Check the all time records on burgfan.com.

A merger of the OVC and SOC II for football only could work, but I don't think the OVC schools would think there is a need to do so since it appears to be competitive as it is.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

It has been mentioned before, but I think it is a good idea. If you win the SOC1, you trade places with the last place team in the SOC2 the following year. Make each SOC have 6 teams and let it sort itself out.

rolltribe
Waterboy

Post by rolltribe »

TVC just added Warren in football only no way they would add the Oaks. And people said Valley wouldn't be able to compete either when they moved up.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Oak Hill is the obvious choice to flip to SOC 2.

Why are they scared to move up and what is the excuse? Is limping into the playoffs only to get their doors blown off after beating the Greens and other small schools that important ?

And why doesn't the SOC just force it to happen, or at least to be voted on?

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

If the SOC were to "force" anything, it would have to force Valley to move down. The bylaws state it goes on enrollment.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Crab's Brother wrote:If the SOC were to "force" anything, it would have to force Valley to move down. The bylaws state it goes on enrollment.

Can't move someone down. That's adding to the problem this thread is addressing.

What messed everything up was covering up Northwests disastrous football program. The league should be balanced team wise between the 2 divisions .

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Crab's Brother wrote:If the SOC were to "force" anything, it would have to force Valley to move down. The bylaws state it goes on enrollment.
How did NW move down?

Mavrick2016
JV Team

Post by Mavrick2016 »

I don't care if Northwest can't win in SOC II, they don't belong in SOC I. Oak Hill is also to big to play in SOC I. they belong in SOC II. Move both up.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

If the SOC ain't broke, why fix it? Scheduling will never be easy and competitive balance will never be perfect. Playing armchair AD or Commissioner is easy, doing the real job, not so much. Ask the former power brokers in the SEOAL.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

fbnut wrote:
How did NW move down?
Crab's??????

one Oak
JV Team

Post by one Oak »

I realize that any solution that involves another league probably isn't going to happen anytime soon because the TVC Ohio and the OVC don't think they have any issue to resolve. The same with the SVC. It's only the SOC that has issues. I don't think Oak Hill or Northwest will voluntarily move up since they are doing what is best for them.

As for Oak Hill making the playoffs and getting blown out, that only happened once and that was against Bishop Ready. The Oaks were regional runner up in 2010 and made it to the second round the other two times they made the playoffs.

On the Burg schedule thread there are some posts stating that Burg needs to drop Oak Hill and some others from their non-conference schedule to pick up tougher opponents. Would Burg fans really want the Oaks as a league opponent?

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Northwest asked to move down. The post I referenced used the world force. Huge difference.

Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

SOC needs to add teams to the league without a doubt.

king kong
Freshman Team

Post by king kong »

Who would want to join the SOC right now? Portsmouth laughed at the Soc for years in their hay day, then when the plight of southeast Ohio came, they wanted in, but the memories of that mockery kept them out. That will probably hurt the Soc's chances of adding a team.

Name one team, not already in a leagu, within a 30 mile radius of Scioto county that would be a good fit?

I can't find one team!

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

king kong wrote:Who would want to join the SOC right now? Portsmouth laughed at the Soc for years in their hay day, then when the plight of southeast Ohio came, they wanted in, but the memories of that mockery kept them out. That will probably hurt the Soc's chances of adding a team.

Name one team, not already in a leagu, within a 30 mile radius of Scioto county that would be a good fit?

I can't find one team!
Is there even a school within 30 miles of Scioto County that isn't in a league?

js7_22
Varsity

Post by js7_22 »

Manchester wants in, but the powers that be won't have it.

Return to “Football”