SOC realignment

one Oak
JV Team

Re: SOC realignment

Post by one Oak »

I think that would be good for getting Oak Hill and Northwest out of the SOC I, but I don't think the OVC would go for it.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Just as I have strongly criticized Portsmouth on this site for dropping Wheelersburg, I will also say that Northwest and Oak Hill should be in SOC II. Their enrollment is adequate enough to be able to compete.

GoBucks1047
JV Team

Post by GoBucks1047 »

one Oak wrote:I think that would be good for getting Oak Hill and Northwest out of the SOC I, but I don't think the OVC would go for it.
Something I thought about last night, say the SHAC adds football and/or decides to expand to 12 members (non-football sports), Northwest could be an option as a full-member or football-only along with maybe Georgetown (no football). The OVC certainly could look at Oak Hill if they ever decided to look at expansion to 10 or 12 at any point in the future.

High Roller
Riding the Bench

Post by High Roller »

I think the OVC is fine the way it is. Competitive league with several improving programs.

The SOC needs to get its house in order.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Interesting that on the Arbiter site, it shows the Oak Hill vs. Wheelersburg game as a league game for 2017, but the 2016 game is a non-league game. I wonder if there is something there we don't know about yet?

Jeremy ghs05
Waterboy

Post by Jeremy ghs05 »

Oak hill needs to move to soc 2 there school size is a lot bigger than green and the rest of soc1

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

I think the SOC is in trouble the next couple years. The league should have voted Ironton and Portsmouth in when they had a chance.

king kong
Freshman Team

Post by king kong »

You have 12 football playing schools, SOC I Notre Dame 48, East 59, Green 73 boys, Eastern 75, Symmes Valley 95, Oak Hill 152, Northwest 157.

SOC II Valley 128, Wheelersburg 147, Minford 175, West 184, Waverly 217.

You can only move 1 football school up to SOC II and that is Oak Hill. You cant have 7 and 5, unless you add and if Manchester comes in, Oak Hill has to move up.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

osu 77 wrote:I think the SOC is in trouble the next couple years. The league should have voted Ironton and Portsmouth in when they had a chance.
Trouble as in non-competitive? Or trouble as in schools leaving? Only possibilities of schools ever leaving I see would be Symmes Valley (OVC), Oak Hill (OVC) or Waverly (SVC). I agree though that Portsmouth/Ironton probably should be in SOC, but also understand certain schools' reasons for being against it.*

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

king kong wrote:You have 12 football playing schools, SOC I Notre Dame 48, East 59, Green 73 boys, Eastern 75, Symmes Valley 95, Oak Hill 152, Northwest 157.

SOC II Valley 128, Wheelersburg 147, Minford 175, West 184, Waverly 217.

You can only move 1 football school up to SOC II and that is Oak Hill. You cant have 7 and 5, unless you add and if Manchester comes in, Oak Hill has to move up.
You can have 7 and 5. It's not ideal but it's not impossible.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
king kong
Freshman Team

Post by king kong »

weeks 3, 4, and 5 non conference are a bear to find, especially competitive games.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

osu 77 wrote:I think the SOC is in trouble the next couple years. The league should have voted Ironton and Portsmouth in when they had a chance.
The SOC has thrived without either school and they will continue to do so. Ironton and Portsmouth need the SOC a whole helluva lot more than the other way around.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

king kong wrote:weeks 3, 4, and 5 non conference are a bear to find, especially competitive games.
The TVC Ohio has 7 teams and every team fills their non conference schedule. Yes, it can be a challenge for the teams who have their open week later in the season but it is doable.
NY plays their non conference games weeks 1,2,3,5

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Volunteer wrote:
greygoose wrote:
Volunteer wrote: Manchester has played green, Norte dame, and symmes valley the last few years.
Add East to that list as well. Haven't last 2 years I believe it is.
North Adams and west union now have football programs but are both club programs. They could get Fayetteville along with Manchester to form a shac football league in the next 2-3 years
Yeah I've heard that, heard Manchester could find itself in the SOC for a short amount of time. Until Peebles, West Union and North Adams all get their teams up and going and are not club teams them Fayetteville would probably be brought into the mix. There's at least 4 games out of the year that could really cut down on the drive time for all those teams involved.

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

Crab's Brother wrote:
The SOC has thrived without either school and they will continue to do so. Ironton and Portsmouth need the SOC a whole helluva lot more than the other way around.
I disagree there are not enough SOCII teams in the league anymore.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

osu 77 wrote:I disagree there are not enough SOCII teams in the league anymore.
There are enough SOCII teams, just not all of them are playing in the SOCII right now. As a group, they need to force teams to move where they belong and then all is well.

ArntonFartinTiger
Riding the Bench

Post by ArntonFartinTiger »

you SOC people crack me up, a decade ago you all would never have heard of having Ironton or Portsmouth in your league. They were too good then. Now you all are clamoring to have them in your league, if they were to come in and in 5 years time become dominant again what would you all do then? Kick them out?

ArntonFartinTiger
Riding the Bench

Post by ArntonFartinTiger »

How many times has Portsmouth been denied entry to the SOC? Just curious.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

ArntonFartinTiger wrote:you SOC people crack me up, a decade ago you all would never have heard of having Ironton or Portsmouth in your league. They were too good then. Now you all are clamoring to have them in your league, if they were to come in and in 5 years time become dominant again what would you all do then? Kick them out?
I don't believe anyone is "clamoring" for Ironton or Portsmouth. The guys with the actual power in the SOC really could care less if they wanted Portsmouth they would've already had them in there, they've even turned Portsmouth down during their down years they've had for about last 10 years now. Ironton until someone mentioned it on here I've never heard being associated with SOC just simple talk. SOC is simply content in where they stand, you guys get all worked up about the fact that Oak Hill and Northwest have X-amount of kids vs other SOC schools. Northwest was moved for competitive reasons plain and simple, and how did Northwest do this year? 1-9. So they belong exactly where they're at they haven't out grown SOCI teams from a competitive stand point, how many kids are on the team?? They've got less kids with that many more student bodies then some of the others in the division.

Oak Hill I can see an argument for, seen there game against Eastern and they must've had 3-4 times the amount of kids dressed compared to Eastern. Do I think they can compete with SOCII probably not yet but with those types of numbers I think they could develop into a team that could be competitive.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

greygoose wrote:
ArntonFartinTiger wrote:you SOC people crack me up, a decade ago you all would never have heard of having Ironton or Portsmouth in your league. They were too good then. Now you all are clamoring to have them in your league, if they were to come in and in 5 years time become dominant again what would you all do then? Kick them out?
I don't believe anyone is "clamoring" for Ironton or Portsmouth. The guys with the actual power in the SOC really could care less if they wanted Portsmouth they would've already had them in there, they've even turned Portsmouth down during their down years they've had for about last 10 years now. Ironton until someone mentioned it on here I've never heard being associated with SOC just simple talk. SOC is simply content in where they stand, you guys get all worked up about the fact that Oak Hill and Northwest have X-amount of kids vs other SOC schools. Northwest was moved for competitive reasons plain and simple, and how did Northwest do this year? 1-9. So they belong exactly where they're at they haven't out grown SOCI teams from a competitive stand point, how many kids are on the team?? They've got less kids with that many more student bodies then some of the others in the division.

Oak Hill I can see an argument for, seen there game against Eastern and they must've had 3-4 times the amount of kids dressed compared to Eastern. Do I think they can compete with SOCII probably not yet but with those types of numbers I think they could develop into a team that could be competitive.
Northwest was way down in Numbers and had a lot of injuries this past season. They have some good numbers and a lot of talent coming up. They'll have to move back up.

Return to “Football”