S

Re: Wheelersburg 2017 Football

Post by 14U »

Burg needs to pick up big WV schools for easy BIG point games

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Re: Wheelersburg 2017 Football

Post by Raider6309 »

Looks like Wheelersburg will be really close to D4. That D4 Cincinnati region is loaded. Athens used to be in it. Most regions just have 1 or 2 good teams. That one has 4 teams that can win state every year

smurray
SEOPS HO

Re: 2017 Wheelersburg Pirates

Post by smurray »

Waverly was in that region this year - unreal.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

smurray wrote:Waverly was in that region this year - unreal.
I remember Kettering Alter's QB was really good at Notre Dame when we were in that region. Kettering Alter might join D3. D3 is getting close to D1 level

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

I am just not seeing a move up in Divisions to D4.

Could be mistaken, but not from what I am hearing.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

Abe Froman wrote:I am just not seeing a move up in Divisions to D4.

Could be mistaken, but not from what I am hearing.
IKR!! i'm not really liking the potential jump to D4. the good thing is we wouldn't have to worry about cold h20 but there are plenty of powerhouse schools in D4

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

This would be good for Burg. Won't have to play Ironton week 11 every year

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Curious, I've heard some rumblings with the Holden boy getting interests from schools for basketball he may not play football. Wondering if anyone else had heard this or if it's pure speculation??

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

greygoose wrote:Curious, I've heard some rumblings with the Holden boy getting interests from schools for basketball he may not play football. Wondering if anyone else had heard this or if it's pure speculation??
i've heard it too.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
Oak
Freshman Team

Post by Oak »

Huntington Prep?

hegotgame
Riding the Bench

Post by hegotgame »

Burg have a lot of guys out of district?

Holden is a dude on the football field as well.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

He has D1 basketball. size for sure but I believe his best sport is football. There are a ton of 6-5 forwards but very few 6-5 receivers that can do what he can do, and he barely puts effort in during football. If he did, he could completely own half the field vertically.

I hope he plays. LeBron played, Iverson played.
Those guys had options in both sports. Probably a wise thing for him to have too.

Sports-nut
JV Team

Post by Sports-nut »

wobycat wrote:He has D1 basketball. size for sure but I believe his best sport is football. There are a ton of 6-5 forwards but very few 6-5 receivers that can do what he can do, and he barely puts effort in during football. If he did, he could completely own half the field vertically.

Those guys had options in both sports. Probably a wise thing for him to have too.
So lets say he breaks his leg in the last football game of the season. Which would be early November or so(playoffs). Figure 2 months on crutches and no basketball. He get in his first game of the year in January. He is already 2 months behind everyone else in conditioning. You don't recover from that so his whole year as a basketball player is shot. Trust me I've seen this sad tale more than once.

It his decision and no one else's. If he really wants to play basketball at the next level he needs to concentrate on it and leave football behind.

IMO it affected his playing this year.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

I don't think you ever don't play out of fear of getting injured
I think he would get looks from bigger colleges in football

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Sports-nut wrote:
wobycat wrote:He has D1 basketball. size for sure but I believe his best sport is football. There are a ton of 6-5 forwards but very few 6-5 receivers that can do what he can do, and he barely puts effort in during football. If he did, he could completely own half the field vertically.

So lets say he breaks his leg in the last football game of the season. Which would be early November or so(playoffs). Figure 2 months on crutches and no basketball. He get in his first game of the year in January. He is already 2 months behind everyone else in conditioning. You don't recover from that so his whole year as a basketball player is shot. Trust me I've seen this sad tale more than once.

It his decision and no one else's. If he really wants to play basketball at the next level he needs to concentrate on it and leave football behind.

IMO it affected his playing this year.
I don't buy that bit, it affected his playing. As far as injuries they can happen at any time. Playing preseason, aau, football, pickup game. That's just part of it.

I still believe he's better at football but your right he has to be passionate about it. Like you said, that's his decision.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

The kid is 6-5 and I only seen the 1 game this year but honestly, going to be tore down for this, really wasn't that impressed. Could've been a bad game whatever, I know there's a lot more tape on him then just the 1 game I seen. He can run straight and is football fast. I heard his 40 time is 4.6 range which surprised me given how easy he made it look on the field. However, my knock on him was lack of route tree, not necessarily his fault, but game I watched they were tossing it up against corners giving up 6-7 inches to him and they were winning the battle. Haven't seen him play basketball but had heard about the DI offers and about possibly not playing ball after this past season. Someone mentioned Lebron and Iverson but mmmmmm yeah this guy isn't in that category. James didn't play his senior season however. James though was one of the top WRs in the state

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

greygoose wrote:The kid is 6-5 and I only seen the 1 game this year but honestly, going to be tore down for this, really wasn't that impressed. Could've been a bad game whatever, I know there's a lot more tape on him then just the 1 game I seen. He can run straight and is football fast. I heard his 40 time is 4.6 range which surprised me given how easy he made it look on the field. However, my knock on him was lack of route tree, not necessarily his fault, but game I watched they were tossing it up against corners giving up 6-7 inches to him and they were winning the battle. Haven't seen him play basketball but had heard about the DI offers and about possibly not playing ball after this past season. Someone mentioned Lebron and Iverson but mmmmmm yeah this guy isn't in that category. James didn't play his senior season however. James though was one of the top WRs in the state
Wasn't trying to compare him, just pointing out that talented known basketball players have played duel sports and it's worked out for them. Not trying to compare skill level.

He's more talented than what he shows. His heart probably more for basketball but if he would give more effort on football field, he would be an all state player, in my opinion. He could be dominant for this area, that is if he really worked at it. In the end, he's going to do what he thinks is best for him,and that's all that really matters.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

wobycat wrote:
greygoose wrote:The kid is 6-5 and I only seen the 1 game this year but honestly, going to be tore down for this, really wasn't that impressed. Could've been a bad game whatever, I know there's a lot more tape on him then just the 1 game I seen. He can run straight and is football fast. I heard his 40 time is 4.6 range which surprised me given how easy he made it look on the field. However, my knock on him was lack of route tree, not necessarily his fault, but game I watched they were tossing it up against corners giving up 6-7 inches to him and they were winning the battle. Haven't seen him play basketball but had heard about the DI offers and about possibly not playing ball after this past season. Someone mentioned Lebron and Iverson but mmmmmm yeah this guy isn't in that category. James didn't play his senior season however. James though was one of the top WRs in the state
Wasn't trying to compare him, just pointing out that talented known basketball players have played duel sports and it's worked out for them. Not trying to compare skill level.

He's more talented than what he shows. His heart probably more for basketball but if he would give more effort on football field, he would be an all state player, in my opinion. He could be dominant for this area, that is if he really worked at it. In the end, he's going to do what he thinks is best for him,and that's all that really matters.
Haven't seen him at basketball how were his stats this year??

Oak
Freshman Team

Post by Oak »

I was told there was some tension because his dad who was on the basketball coaching staff wanted him to play on the wing and most thought at 6-5 he should be under the basket. Was told he's possibly looking at going the prep route for basketball, and if that's his goal to be a D1 player, that's probably what he should do if he has the opportunity.

If he doesn't play football, that is a big loss for Wheelersburg. He isn't a refined receiver, but you have to know where he is all the time and is a matchup problem.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

greygoose wrote:
wobycat wrote:

Haven't seen him at basketball how were his stats this year??
Not sure but its probably around 17 per game average.

Before I say anymore, I want to put this out there and say he's a very talented kid and his worse day is better than my best. Just throwing it out there before someone says something.

Here's my opinion of him. He's a 6-5 wing player. He does not need to be under the basket, he's not a post and he shouldn't be there. They played him out front and he started the offense a lot. I don't think he's a point or a shooting guard. He can handle the ball extremely well but is not as quick as to say like Fox at south point. His shot is not good, he's a slasher and is best in transition. He doesn't give much effort on the defensive end but when he does he's above average. Right now he looks like a Marshall, OU, Morehead State type of player, maybe Cincinnati or a Wake Forrest. He's just a sophomore, so with some added muscle he could land in a bigger program.

Here's what I see in football. He has a size advantage on the outside. He has great hands. He's deceptively fast and even as skinny as he is he breaks a lot of tackles. If he worked at it, he could be something unique in that position. I think there are more like him in basketball than football.

Look, either way, he's a very talented kid and his future is bright. Not a bad position to be in. From what I have heard, he's a good kid and he will make the right decision for him. In the mean time, I hope he stays local, he's fun to watch.

Return to “Football”