2017 Wheelersburg Pirates

79Tiger
All Conference

Re: what will Burg's 2017 schedule look like?

Post by 79Tiger »

The Burg is having a hard time finding someone to play them outside the SOC. Ironton had the same problem for many years. Never made any sense to me why teams would shy away from playing good programs. It can only make your program better by playing successful programs and right now the Burg is at the top in SE Ohio. The Burg always played Ironton even in the lean years and Ironton is doing the same now. It only makes sense from a Coach's perspective. You want to test your team early on against the best to see where your weaknesses and strengths are. Then, hopefully, you have 8 or 9 games to make improvements or you can go down hill from there.

Once a Tiger, always a Tiger. :D
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

very well said. like it or not for burg as far as a reference burg is becoming what ironton was. I remember in the 70's in the seoal when mike burcham was trying to get ooc games. and it's unbelievable the teams that said no. big ole whopping teams that were playing in state finals year in and out. and great point about ironton sticking with burg when they were not that competitive.and I'm proud of the burg for doing the same.like it or not the tigers are still a points bonanza with all the ovc wins.the burg is quickly catching this series back up, but I appreciate them being patient with ironton as well while they struggle. now if we can get our real fighting tiger team back n up n running. the addition of mark hammer lutz to rock hills head coach really was a big addition to the ovc. if we can get south point, and fairland back on track the ovc will become very deep. now we just have to prove it in weeks 11-15. the soc is the same way right now, very top heavy. the emergence of Minford has been a welcome change, and west has been down as well as Lucasville. get several of those teams back on track and see what we got. I'd love to see the 2 leagues murge myself. wow what a conference that could be.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote:very well said. like it or not for burg as far as a reference burg is becoming what ironton was. I remember in the 70's in the seoal when mike burcham was trying to get ooc games. and it's unbelievable the teams that said no. big ole whopping teams that were playing in state finals year in and out. and great point about ironton sticking with burg when they were not that competitive.and I'm proud of the burg for doing the same.like it or not the tigers are still a points bonanza with all the ovc wins.the burg is quickly catching this series back up, but I appreciate them being patient with ironton as well while they struggle. now if we can get our real fighting tiger team back n up n running. the addition of mark hammer lutz to rock hills head coach really was a big addition to the ovc. if we can get south point, and fairland back on track the ovc will become very deep. now we just have to prove it in weeks 11-15. the soc is the same way right now, very top heavy. the emergence of Minford has been a welcome change, and west has been down as well as Lucasville. get several of those teams back on track and see what we got. I'd love to see the 2 leagues murge myself. wow what a conference that could be.
couldn't have said it better myself ytb. as for the merger. i've always said the soc and the ovc should merge as one and break it into like a 3 div conference. talk about a power conference. it could turn into the southern half of the states mac

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Mad-Dogg wrote:
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote:very well said. like it or not for burg as far as a reference burg is becoming what ironton was. I remember in the 70's in the seoal when mike burcham was trying to get ooc games. and it's unbelievable the teams that said no. big ole whopping teams that were playing in state finals year in and out. and great point about ironton sticking with burg when they were not that competitive.and I'm proud of the burg for doing the same.like it or not the tigers are still a points bonanza with all the ovc wins.the burg is quickly catching this series back up, but I appreciate them being patient with ironton as well while they struggle. now if we can get our real fighting tiger team back n up n running. the addition of mark hammer lutz to rock hills head coach really was a big addition to the ovc. if we can get south point, and fairland back on track the ovc will become very deep. now we just have to prove it in weeks 11-15. the soc is the same way right now, very top heavy. the emergence of Minford has been a welcome change, and west has been down as well as Lucasville. get several of those teams back on track and see what we got. I'd love to see the 2 leagues murge myself. wow what a conference that could be.
couldn't have said it better myself ytb. as for the merger. i've always said the soc and the ovc should merge as one and break it into like a 3 div conference. talk about a power conference. it could turn into the southern half of the states mac

What ?!?!?
I'm sorry in all due respect how would they even resemble the mac ?
Who besides burg can make playoff runs ?

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Mad-Dogg wrote:
it very well could my friend.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Poo Bear wrote:
Mad-Dogg wrote:

What ?!?!?

I'm sorry in all due respect how would they even resemble the mac ?
Who besides burg can make playoff runs ?

poo you know these things run in cycles any team is capable of it any given year. but the mac does it consistently across the board with every school in it. we don't have anything that would even compare presently. but it is what it is here. and you have your bigger schools that are virtually all the same size then you have a few that are smaller. Portsmouth east, and notre dame would make excellent additions to the smaller tier of the soc as well as symmes valley. it's all Lawrence and Scioto county anyway with the exception of gahs.which is Gallia county.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

maybe 8 league games and 2 ooc games a year.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

with a rotational schedule.
look at like the 14 team super leagues in college football for an example. think of what it could do financially for every team involved. the only reason the attendance has been down in the ovc is because ironton has dominated it football wise. no matter how close the wins have come by. a good majority o these teams are playing each other yearly anyway.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Re: mad-dogg

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Mad-Dogg wrote:I received a text today from a reliable source sayin we picked up bishop hartley next yr. It's at least a 2 yr deal

I thought the schedule was set for next year per the above post?

Who are they dropping?? Ironton, Fairland, Heath, Bishop Watterson or Jackson????

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

mad-dogg

Post by Mad-Dogg »

yabbadabbadoo wrote:
Mad-Dogg wrote:I received a text today from a reliable source sayin we picked up bishop hartley next yr. It's at least a 2 yr deal

I thought the schedule was set for next year per the above post?

Who are they dropping?? Ironton, Fairland, Heath, Bishop Watterson or Jackson????
Fairland. From what I was told it will look like this in 2018

Ironton
Bishop Hartley
Heath
Bishop Watterson
Jackson
Oak Hill

Then conference play

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
ravensfan9
Riding the Bench

Post by ravensfan9 »

I'm glad they will actually play competition. If they don't challenge themselves, the players and coaches can not get better. With that schedule...6-4 gets then in the playoffs and maybe 5-5. Nice job Burg!!

Oak
Freshman Team

Re: Wheelersburg 2017 Football

Post by Oak »

ravensfan9 wrote:I'm glad they will actually play competition. If they don't challenge themselves, the players and coaches can not get better. With that schedule...6-4 gets then in the playoffs and maybe 5-5. Nice job Burg!!
If they don't win a couple big point games 6 wins will not get you in most years and no way will 5 wins.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Oak wrote:
ravensfan9 wrote:I'm glad they will actually play competition. If they don't challenge themselves, the players and coaches can not get better. With that schedule...6-4 gets then in the playoffs and maybe 5-5. Nice job Burg!!
If they don't win a couple big point games 6 wins will not get you in most years and no way will 5 wins.
Quick glance looks like 19 teams made playoffs last year with 6 wins
2 made it with 5 wins

Mad-Dogg
SEOP

mad-dogg

Post by Mad-Dogg »

fbnut wrote:
Oak wrote:
Quick glance looks like 19 teams made playoffs last year with 6 wins
2 made it with 5 wins
That very well may be true but in our case the last few yrs we haven't been gettin a lot of 2nd level points with teams like ironton, fairland, ports on the schedule.

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
Oak
Freshman Team

Post by Oak »

Two teams made it in Region 19 with 7 wins. None with 6. Best finish of a 6 win team was 12th. Region 19 usually requires a good point total to make it.

GoBucks1047
JV Team

Post by GoBucks1047 »

Oak wrote:Two teams made it in Region 19 with 7 wins. None with 6. Best finish of a 6 win team was 12th. Region 19 usually requires a good point total to make it.
I took a look back from 2013 (when 7 divisions started in football) through this past season in Burg's region, a 6-3 Rock Hill (6th seed) and 6-4 Ironton (8th) made the playoffs last year (2015) while a 5-5 Westfall (7th) and 5-5 Zane Trace (8th) made it in 2013. 7 teams that were 7-2 or 7-3 have made the playoffs since 2013 with at least 1 each year. I could see 6-win Burg could make the playoffs, but I think 7 wins is needed to make the playoffs most years.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I remember a lot of times in the past when ironton played columbus desales for many years and it seemed like we were always ahead till late in the game and they'd come back and beat us. other than a 40-0 shelling we took there in stallion land once. but my point was it seemed like they beat us to get in the playoffs at 5-5 or 6-4. then they'd win state. but they were playing teams on their schedule like mooney, Watterson, Hartley, and the like and some schools from the upper divisions.

Pirate Nation
Waterboy

Post by Pirate Nation »

I hope that the Hartley game will be on a Saturday night. The gate would be incredible. A ton of people from the area would come to the Ed for that one!

EagleFan89
JV Team

Post by EagleFan89 »

2017 or 2018?

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

EagleFan89 wrote:
2017 or 2018?

I thought I read it is for the 2018 season.

Return to “Football”