Is Portsmouth really dropping Burg?

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Is Portsmouth really dropping Burg?

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

river valley is much improved, but very far away in comparison to wheelersburg. and will be a pittance gatewise as to compared with the Trojans.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Noitall
JV Team

Post by Noitall »

All ya all on here talking about this and why??

Everyone around here play weak,azz schedules if you think not ,post em!

Other then burg NO team in scioto or lawence county can play with the competition out side they conference , and even burg can't do it two games after regular season .

Maybe Portsmouth wants to schedule weaker teams to have winning regular seasons so they can chest thump like every one else?

Catchup13
Riding the Bench

Post by Catchup13 »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote:river valley is much improved, but very far away in comparison to wheelersburg. and will be a pittance gatewise as to compared with the Trojans.
River Valley is much improved. But if you look at their schedule, they only played 3 teams with a winning record and got beat by them all (7-3). RV had 3 wins against teams with a combined record of 2-28. This series instead of Portsmouth vs Burg just doesn't feel right.
Maybe Trojans not winning in a decade or so is the reason, but how many times has Ports beat Ironton in that time, and then joined a league with them.

85yards
Riding the Bench

Post by 85yards »

Catchup13 wrote:
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote:river valley is much improved, but very far away in comparison to wheelersburg. and will be a pittance gatewise as to compared with the Trojans.
Maybe Trojans not winning in a decade or so is the reason, but how many times has Ports beat Ironton in that time, and then joined a league with them.
I'm tellin' ya, that I've personally talked to 2-different ppl who are close to the PHS program, and they didn't say, they were not competitive, so they felt they had to drop Burg. They said, they want nothing to do with Burg b/c they recruited their star QB in his Jr year and left them holding the bag and then put 45-points on them. For all PHS cares, Burg can drive to Timbuktu to find a team to play.

I just went 85 yards straight thru the heart of the south- Ezekiel Elliott 1/1/15
fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

85yards wrote:
Catchup13 wrote:
I'm tellin' ya, that I've personally talked to 2-different ppl who are close to the PHS program, and they didn't say, they were not competitive, so they felt they had to drop Burg. They said, they want nothing to do with Burg b/c they recruited their star QB in his Jr year and left them holding the bag and then put 45-points on them. For all PHS cares, Burg can drive to Timbuktu to find a team to play.
there was talk they wanted out pretty much as soon as the new coach took over. it makes for good board material but it had nothing to do with the kid switching schools

Noitall
JV Team

Post by Noitall »

That the dumbest excuse ever ,that QB had a very very bad in his first season starting at portsmouth I understand he is doing well at burg now and I'm sure it's due to the talent he is now arounf,,also if you look at what Purdy did at portsmouth ,there is no way Lowry could have topped his numbers jmo.

I will let you all know something else that you may not know ,Portsmouth was trying to get out of this contract last year and I'm,guessi,g it waited untill this year before burg would agree because burg is smart enough not to lose the gate money on their,home game

Noitall
JV Team

Post by Noitall »

fbnut wrote:
85yards wrote:
Catchup13 wrote: Maybe Trojans not winning in a decade or so is the reason, but how many times has Ports beat Ironton in that time, and then joined a league with them.
there was talk they wanted out pretty much as soon as the new coach took over. it makes for good board material but it had nothing to do with the kid switching schools

EXACTLY!!

I know for a FACT the call was made last year to End this series.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Noitall wrote:All ya all on here talking about this and why??

Everyone around here play weak,azz schedules if you think not ,post em!

Other then burg NO team in scioto or lawence county can play with the competition out side they conference , and even burg can't do it two games after regular season .

Maybe Portsmouth wants to schedule weaker teams to have winning regular seasons so they can chest thump like every one else?

I'm strictly talking about the difference gatewise. in going nearly to meigs as opposed to next door to wheelersburg noitall. the only schedule that concerns me is ironton's and what we can do to compete better on it and win our out of conference games.my intentions are not to belittle or question anybody else's schedule, but let's face it teams operate with gate money.and you have to have it to operate.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Catchup13 wrote:
River Valley is much improved. But if you look at their schedule, they only played 3 teams with a winning record and got beat by them all (7-3). RV had 3 wins against teams with a combined record of 2-28. This series instead of Portsmouth vs Burg just doesn't feel right.

hey you're preaching to the choir man. I know all that.been going to tiger games for 56 years, so I know a lil bit about it myself. I want ironton to always have a series with Portsmouth n burg. teams just gotta get better overall down here, because nothing else makes any sense league wise. that goes for the ovc and soc. the trick is scheduling strong ooc. which ironton always has. but this year we lost all 3 of them. that didn't help any.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Catchup13 wrote:

hey you're preaching to the choir man. I know all that.been going to tiger games for 56 years, so I know a lil bit about it myself. I want ironton to always have a series with Portsmouth n burg. teams just gotta get better overall down here, because nothing else makes any sense league wise. that goes for the ovc and soc. the trick is scheduling strong ooc. which ironton always has. but this year we lost all 3 of them. that didn't help any.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote:
Catchup13 wrote:

Sometimes teams need to schedule some teams that they actually have a chance to beat to pick up an extra win or 2. More wins will equal more kids out to play, then you can start to schedule the tougher teams out of conference.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

When you recruit an area's players, don't expect they will play you. Pretty common sense. That's why Cardinal Mooney is black balled in Youngstown. That has cost Cardinal Mooney a few state titles

Moses Guthrie
Varsity

Post by Moses Guthrie »

As a Trojan fan it is frustrating to have lost the edge to compete at a high level in football. This has not happened overnight. It has been an issue for some time now. We are losing good families to other school districts for different reasons. Few families are moving into the district..
The Burg game was one we always circled on the calendar. I was fortunate enough to have played in 1987, when the series came back after several years of inactivity. It was a game that would make or break a season. Portsmouth went on to win that game 19-15, and even though Burg went on to post a 9-1 record that year and a playoff appearance, the one loss to Portsmouth was not easy to accept.
Portsmouth does not and may not again have that edge to play at a high level. We have seen what Burg has been doing. They have been able to keep good families in the community as well as receive many other good kids through relocation, open enrollment, etc because of past and future academic and athletic success. At the same time, Portsmouth will struggle to find and develop a suitable QB for the 2017 season..
Burg posters can say what they want about the Portsmouth series. We don't really care. We will be fine without your gate as you will be without ours. The one thing I WILL miss is the chance for one team to upset and ruin the other team's season by taking a loss from a heated rival. At least that's the way it used to be.

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

Raider6309 wrote:When you recruit an area's players, don't expect they will play you. Pretty common sense. That's why Cardinal Mooney is black balled in Youngstown. That has cost Cardinal Mooney a few state titles
must have been a hell of a recruitment , 2 years worth

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

Moses is correct, the status is Portsmouth is not getting better, this is not a knock on the coaching staff at all, they do the best they can with what they have,its an internal problem within the city,I love the school system, but the crime, the constant breaking and entering, the drug problem on the streets, If I lived in my old town, I would be looking for a way out. I moved my child from Florida to Pa for this very reason, brought her away from the drugs and schools to a small County with awesome community.I do hate seeing Portsmouth dropping the Burg, it was huge when I was there, but folks that was 30 plus years ago.I understand why they dropped them....

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

it sounds to me more now like Portsmouth has shot a cannon ball over the pirate ship saying you want our players then fine. do it without scheduling us. open enrollment is a funny thing and seldom pleases everybody. and we can be upset or happy. as long as the state allows it, it will continue in every district. some cats will gain weight, some will lose weight because of it. and more often than not the most successful teams of the past will get fatter as a result of the rule. I see now what people were saying about ironton for so long. and because of our success it happened. but I can tell you back when I was in school if you played for ironton it was because you were from ironton. it would appear to me Portsmouth is taking a stand over it. ========================= I havehowever saw a couple of posts saying they expect ironton to drop burg as well. I don't believe that for a minute. for several reasons. we are not adjoining districts so we are not affected by the open enrollment with them. and ironton appreciates playing the burg and it's athletic programs. nobody is anymore frustrated with recent results than the ironton community, and are hoping to right the ship. but I think anybody at ironton or a fan can tell you the last thing they want to do is stop playing burg.it makes no sense to drop good competition to drop a better program for a less successful one to try to garner a win in it's place. that helps nobody and does nothing to build a program. and I think that is exactly what Portsmouth posters are saying tat they are not happy with it either. trust me when I tell you the majority of Trojan faithful never, ever wanted to see this happen. but apparently it has. and in a lot of ways I can see Portsmouth's point about taking a stand this way. it's a mess that needs fixed somehow. I cannot knock it, I did the same thing with my own kids. when I lived at kitts hill there were like only 2 houses past me in the rock hill district then it became symmes valley. so I was at the extreme end of the rock hill district myself. it was nearly 17 miles from my house there to rock hills school complex. and 8 miles from to house to ironton's parking lot. so I did the same thing with my 2 sons when they were in junior high. it is going to happen in situations like this where homes are on the extreme borders of their school and in the back yard of another.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Wheelersburg is just one game on the Trojans schedule.........and they are a D5 school, just like PHS. What if the Trojans go 9-1 with the only loss to Wheelersburg? Is that such a bad thing? A loss to Wheelersburg will not kill the Trojans trend upward to winning football, which started this past season. If PHS takes care of its business in the OVC, a conference that the Trojans can do well in, then a game with Wheelersburg will not be a death blow to Portsmouth football.

GO TROJANS!!!

Gluefactory
Waterboy

Post by Gluefactory »

To the Trojan faithful. The spin I would put on this is more wins sometimes equals possible playoff game. The possibility is not out of the realm that the Trojans could play Wheelersburg anyway. Think positive Trojans, the possibility of ruining someone's season is lurking on the horizon, hmmmmmm! Betcha hadn't thought about that scenario . Your welcome !

piratepride86
JV Team

Post by piratepride86 »

I hate to see Portsmouth Go actually but oh well Good luck to the Trojans.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Raider6309 wrote:When you recruit an area's players, don't expect they will play you. Pretty common sense. That's why Cardinal Mooney is black balled in Youngstown. That has cost Cardinal Mooney a few state titles
Hmm wonder why they have 4 local teams that still play them if there blackballed

Return to “Football”