Is Portsmouth really dropping Burg?

Paulcrew
JV Team

Re: Is Portsmouth really dropping Burg?

Post by Paulcrew »

If Portsmouth were in the SOC, where they should be, this would be a non issue. Frankly, I'm glad they are in the OVC.

Portsmouth98
All State

Post by Portsmouth98 »

We feel personally responsible for their playoff struggles the last few years. It's been nearly impossible to sleep knowing that if we had given them more competition they might have played better.

callie15
Varsity

Post by callie15 »

I FEEL THE SAME WAY, Maybe PHS can pick up Green, N West, Manchester or N DAME , No N Dame would beat them . East instead .

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

mad-dogg

Post by Mad-Dogg »

Personally I'm glad p-town dropped us

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
8332 Granite St
JV Team

Re: mad-dogg

Post by 8332 Granite St »

Mad-Dogg wrote:Personally I'm glad p-town dropped us
Same here.
GO BURG!

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I hope the ironton/burg series is around every year.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote:I hope the ironton/burg series is around every year.
Me too. Even though it's not what it was i still hope the series with ironton continues

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
piratepride86
JV Team

Post by piratepride86 »

85yards wrote:Yes, for 2017 season Portsmouth dropped Wheelersburg for River Valley. PHS wants nothing to do with Wheelersburg b/c( according to my Portsmouth sources,) PHS admin is upset with W'burg for recruiting their QB and moving him into W'burg right before the start of the school year.
Yea I guess we offered him all the wendy burgers and Freds Pizza he and his family could eat.....

Anyone else want in. :lol: :roll:

85yards
Riding the Bench

Post by 85yards »

As it will definitely slow him down, he may not want to eat all that type of food more than once a month!

Hey PHS can believe whatever they want, all that means to me is that week 3 is open. His family moved into the district so there is no harm in that. Not trying to offend anyone, but as a fan of great football, I hope Wburg picks up a team that is more suited to their talent.

I just went 85 yards straight thru the heart of the south- Ezekiel Elliott 1/1/15
Whodey
Freshman Team

Post by Whodey »

piratepride86 wrote:
85yards wrote:Yes, for 2017 season Portsmouth dropped Wheelersburg for River Valley. PHS wants nothing to do with Wheelersburg b/c( according to my Portsmouth sources,) PHS admin is upset with W'burg for recruiting their QB and moving him into W'burg right before the start of the school year.
Yea I guess we offered him all the wendy burgers and Freds Pizza he and his family could eat.....

I know for a fact a lot more has been offered to get an apartment in Burg

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

8332 Granite St wrote:First of all even when Ironton ruled...Burg held their own and have a great history and tradition of football in Wheelersburg. One day Burg will suck and Minford will be king.....gotcha stay humble
GO BURG!

Well, that's not too far from a fetched idea my friend. With the new Portsmouth bypass highway, restaurant licenses, and property values that have quadrupled in less than a year, I can see Minford's population booming maybe in a decade or so. It's all about where the population wants to live and sends their kids to school. There are some great property investment opportunities in Minford right now.

The best things in life: To Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!- Conan the Barbarian
JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

Whodey wrote:
piratepride86 wrote:

I know for a fact a lot more has been offered to get an apartment in Burg
No you don't

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

it goes on in every district I spect. when I was there in the mid 70's in ironton. you lived and went to school in ironton, you could play for ironton, all our players were from our schools all along.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

unless a family moved into our area.

Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

I hope what happened to Ironton don't happen to the Burg. No one wanted to play them and they had to travel all over Ohio and Kentucky to find games. There are only I think 5 teams in the SOC II and scheduling could become a problem.

Oak
Freshman Team

Post by Oak »

The way they talk down the SOC schools and how they don't prepare them for their postseason, they should ask out of the SOCII.
Then they can schedule what they want. Careful what you ask for, you might get it.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

Can't say I really blame Portsmouth, I mean when you get it handed to you by the same team every year and it's not even close there's no need to continue to play them. For Burg they almost have a guaranteed win, but if Portsmouth is bad they won't get many points from them. For Portsmouth it's almost a guaranteed loss. I see benefits for both schools, Burg picks up someone who could get them some points, Portsmouth picks up someone who they could possibly beat (although that doesn't help you from getting blasted in the playoffs sense you wouldn't have played a good Burg team). I dislike that both teams will lose out on a nice gate, Portsmouth fans will not travel to RV like they did to a Burg (some years that didn't even happen lol) nor will RV fans travel to Portsmouth like Burg fans do. My hope is that Portsmouth will continue to build on the improvement of this season and some day be able to play Burg to a competitive game.

Who Dey!
Mad-Dogg
SEOP

Post by Mad-Dogg »

I've heard from several reasonable sources that the burg is in contact with canton central catholic for a potential wk 3 game next season. They also think ironton might follow after next season

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

Going to miss Burg-Portsmouth week moving forward, but face it, it sure isn't what it used to be,I still believe Portsmouth should be a member of the SOC, but that was never destined to occur

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I am very disappointed in the decision to drop Wheelersburg. I know that the Trojans haven't been competitive for most of the last decade, but that's no reason to run away from the series. GET BETTER!! What do we tell our Trojans now? "Don't ever give up"--Jim Valvano........."Real character shows in adversity".........tough times never last, but tough people do", "those who stay will be champions"--Bo Schembechler, "We shall overcome"--African American spiritual, "It's not how you get knocked down, it's how you get up". Can we look our kids in the face and honestly tell them to embrace these attributes? Remember that there is life after football, and I thought that football helped teach life lessons to those who play.

I will continue to support the Trojans because I WILL NOT take out my displeasure with this decision on the kids. They had nothing to do with this, and they need to see people in the stands supporting them, win or lose, good or bad, first place or last place. I don't want to be a quitter, instead, I'll take the bad and the good and try to make the best of it.

GO TROJANS!!!
Last edited by trojandave on Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Football”