LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Pics(Article later) Newark Catholic 41 Fort Frye 7

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Pics(Article later) Newark Catholic 41 Fort Frye 7

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Last night in Zanesville at Sulsberger John D Stadium, Newark Catholic and Fort Frye battled in a third round playoff game. Fort Frye came in 12-0, while the Green Wave came in with a,8-4record. During the regular season the teams Fort Frye annihilated had a combined record of, 39-63 and the biggest school they faced was, division five Northridge, a team Newark Catholic hammered by,28. Fort Frye got them by 17.

The game started out with Brady Carpenter moving the ball 18-yards on the games first play from scrimmage, but he would be stripped by a defender and the ball was pounced on by,Sam Bending of Newark Catholic.

The Green Wave, who according to southeasternohiopreps.com little line would not be able to do this or that, showed right away that words from fans on a website means nothing by giving Hunter(MAN OF STEEL) Chapman plenty of time to watch Tanner(GENERAL PRIME TIME) get wide opened,Chapman then threw an Archie Manning looking pass, that was right on the money, Lake caught the ball, made one move and raced to end end zone. The point after kick was spot on by,Nathan Liesen to give Newark Catholic a,7-0 lead,with 11:25 left in the quarter.

Fort Frye would look like they were going to shake off the turnover, as they had started to put a nice long drive together, facing a fourth and two at the Green Wave 23, the Cadets decided to go for it and that move turned out to be nightmare number two on the night when,Nolan Jurden and Cameron Lewis came up from their safety spots to cut down standout Casey Lewis, well short of the first down marker.

The Green Wave would turn the ball over on the ensuing drive when Lake put the ball on the ground after making another catch. Fort Frye got the break they needed, but the Newark Catholic defense made light work of the Cadet offense.

The Green Wave would record two sacks before the quarter ended. The first was by Kyle (FOUR STAR)Gibson, who got to #12 Tate Engle 5-9 / 150 for a big eight-yard loss and then it would be Noah Fodor getting to Engle for a loss to bring up third and eight.

Chapman would find Mason Peddicord in the middle of the field for a big gain of 36-yards.Newark Catholic was able to take advantage of the Fort Frye defense, when ever they had to when it came to the middle of the field being open on passing plays. Gibson would take the ball to the Cadets four-yard-line late in the quarter, to set up the next Green Wave score.

The score came in the second quarter, with 9:12 left on a four-yard Gibson run. The small offensive line, who again was given little chance to open up the running game by posters on southeasternohiopreps.com was again proven wrong. The point after kicked was blocked by,#7 Garrett Lochary 5-8 / 143. I believe that was the Cadet, who got his hand on the ball. Te scoreboard now read,13-0 Newark Catholic.

Fort Frye, who has a stud running back seem to try and keep Newark Catholic defense off balanced or had another reason for not feeding him as much as they had in their previous games. That line of play calling made Tate Engle look uncomfortable most of the night, from where I was setting and with 8:20 left in the half, he would be picked off by, #37 Jacob Lumbatis, giving Newark Catholic the ball on the Cadets 32-yard-line.

Chapman would find #23 Nolan Jurden for a touchdown on the first play after the Lumbatis pick. The point after gave the Green Wave a,20-0 lead. This would again show how wrong posters were, when it was posted that Newark Catholic was a one-man show. Newark Catholic is far from that and the coaching staff has really shown this the past three weeks.

Newark Catholic would make this a, 27-0 game on a Chapman to Gibson, 14-yard pass on a 4th and two call,with 2:00 left in the half. The drive went for 58-yards and totaled ten plays. At this point of the game I.M.O. you could see that the body language of several of the Cadets said we are beat. To their credit they never seemed to quit playing and they played with class and what I believe is a ton of school pride. All of those in the Fort Frye community should have been proud of these young men, not only for this but for the season they had. I do not care who they played to get to 12-0, that was not the choice of the players, they just went out and played and played well against those teams.
To start the third quarter off, Newark Catholic fed the beast known as Kyle(FOUR STAR)Gibson and the end result was a four-yard touchdown run. Gibson set up his four-yard touchdown run with a 66-yard run and a 21-yard run. The small offensive line of the Green Wave dominated the first half and picked up where they left off to start the second half. I believe this was a case of the Newark Catholic line have better technique, getting better leverage and being a lot stronger than they were thought to be and of course very sound coaching. The point after kick not only gave the Green Wave a,34-0 lead but put his round three playoff game into a running clock game.

Engle would be sacked again by Noah Fodor, with 8:22 left in the third. Fodor might have played his best game to date and as a senior, you have to be very happy for him, well if you are a Green . The loss totaled ten-yards and the Cadets offense would not be able to recover from it and soon left the field, still looking for their first score.

At the 6:37 mark of the quarter, Gibson running straight up the gut of the Cadets defense, easily picked up 14-yards as the offensive line continue dominating the bigger Cadet defensive line.
With 6:06 left Gibson plowed his way to eleven more yards on another run made easy by his line.
Facing a fourth and eight, with 3:30 left in the half the LICKING COUNTY FAN LAYER OF THE GAME, Hunter(MAN OF STEEL) Chapman connected with the games best receiver Mason(QUIET STORM) Peddicord, for a23-yard touchdown. The point after made this a,41-0 Newark Catholic lead.

Eagle would be sacked again at the 11:12 mark of the final frame by, Fodor and company, for another ten-yard loss. Fort Frye tried a fake punt on 4th and sixteen, with 9:46 left but Casey Lewis was held just short of the first down, when he was plastered by Cameron Lewis.

With the Newark Catholic JV unit on #22 Colton Sampson 5-11 / 140 of Fort Frye picked off #10 Lucas Pierce 6-2 / 175, with 7:43 left in the game. Pierce throws as pretty as a pass as anyone you will see throw, but he has a monstrous problem with throw picks.

Fort Frye with starters in was able to get a one-yard touchdown run by Engle against the Newark Catholic JV unit. The point after by #80(NOT ON EITHER ROSTER I HAVE) made this a,41-7 game. More times than not I disagree with any coach leaving his starters in, when the opposing team has his JV unit in the game. But this time I do understand it(DO NOT LIKE IT) but with a huge senior class for a small school, who had accomplished as much as this class had. I can see why the staff wanted them to give the fans that had stayed the entire game something to cheer about.

Pierce was sacked for a ten-yard loss by #80 and #71(Neither on either roster I have), with 1:57 left in the game.

UNOFFICIAL STATS
FORT FRYE
48 PLAYS
180 YARDS
PASSING 8-17 1 INT

NEWARK CATHOLIC
53 PLAYS
349 YARDS
PASSING 14-18 4 TD'S 1 INT

Return to “Football”