Biggest upset you have witnessed in High School Football?

West_Sider
Freshman Team

Biggest upset you have witnessed in High School Football?

Post by West_Sider »

I'll start.

2002 DIV State Semi-Final

Portsmouth West defeats Youngstown Ursiline

fuzzhead
SEOP

Re: Biggest upset you have witnessed in High School Football

Post by fuzzhead »

1996: Coal Grove 14, Ashland, Ky 7

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

West_Sider wrote:I'll start.

second that. Nobody gave us a shot. The OHSAA rebracketed if I remember right to set up Ursiline - Kenton, and West ruined their game. I have never seen a tape of that game and I would love to. I've said that the school should take the tapes from that playoff run, change them to disc, and sell them for $10 a piece. Would be a big moneymaker and also give the younger kids a chance to see it. That's one thing that Ironton and Burg have that we really need, a website for our sports programs. Why don't you start one sider :122245

West_Sider
Freshman Team

Post by West_Sider »

siderman wrote:
West_Sider wrote:I'll start.

second that. Nobody gave us a shot. The OHSAA rebracketed if I remember right to set up Ursiline - Kenton, and West ruined their game. I have never seen a tape of that game and I would love to. I've said that the school should take the tapes from that playoff run, change them to disc, and sell them for $10 a piece. Would be a big moneymaker and also give the younger kids a chance to see it. That's one thing that Ironton and Burg have that we really need, a website for our sports programs. Why don't you start one sider :122245
Back in 2005 I thought about starting one.. Then I got caught up in chasing my dream of being a head coach.. Still trying to finish that up but almost ready to start.

I've never seen the tape either. But when you beat a team who's QB goes on to start two years for Penn St. a TE who gets recruited to OSU, an OT that starts for Oklahoma, a DB that goes to UC, a RB that goes to Toledo (who was second string on that team) and many many more players to college.. you accomplished something.

friday_nite_fan
Varsity

Post by friday_nite_fan »

Coldwater beating Cardinal Mooney a few years ago in the D-IV state title game. Coldwater blocked the tying extra point with about a minute left in the game to seal the win.

ironmen85
Riding the Bench

Post by ironmen85 »

2004 Jackson vs Winthrow 1st round of the playoffs ironmen upset number one ranked in Div II best game i have ever seen in person.

footballfanatic1
All Conference

Post by footballfanatic1 »

i second that ironman 85... i actually attended that game.....fantastic game...

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

ironton's first state championship game over akron saint vincent saint mary's. they were enourmous. and we had quite a small line. and the game was in akron.

don't remember the year , but everybody had already but handed the trophy to youngstown mooney. and ironton beat them in their only meeting.

and possibly when archbishop carrol high school,from washington d.c. came on a plane to ironton ranked in the top 5 in the country , all divisions, and boarded the plane back , on the short end of the stick.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

i remember rolling into lancaster some years back, and they were like 3 in division 1. and they had just lost in overtime to like moeller or massillon, we were their homecoming game, and we flat layed the wood to them.

Philos_Finest
All Conference

Post by Philos_Finest »

You're Tiger Bait wrote: and possibly when archbishop carrol high school,from washington d.c. came on a plane to ironton ranked in the top 5 in the country , all divisions, and boarded the plane back , on the short end of the stick.

That's pretty sweet!

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

anyone here at The Marietta game when they upset West Virginia's #1 team from Parkersburg--thinking it was the last game of the year

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

^^ I think it was South and they went on to win the State Title that year, maybe I am wrong though. South had the Gumm kid from Warren playing for them. He either won mr football or finished runner-up

TrojanFan06
Waterboy

Post by TrojanFan06 »

cant remember exact year but was in recent years but trojans was good on defense and it was against ironton at spartan stadium it was 0-0 all throughout the game untill the ending minutes of the 4th when ironton scored a touchdown and went for 2 and got it for the final 8-0 and they got the touchdown on the south endzone....

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

TrojanFan06 wrote:cant remember exact year but was in recent years but trojans was good on defense and it was against ironton at spartan stadium it was 0-0 all throughout the game untill the ending minutes of the 4th when ironton scored a touchdown and went for 2 and got it for the final 8-0 and they got the touchdown on the south endzone....
That game was 2004, and although it was an evenly matched game, definitely not an upset . Ironton, came into that game 7-0, while PHS was 5-2 at the time. Trojans finished 7-3, and the Tigers finished 9-1 with their only lose being a 17-14 defeat to DeSales.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Wellston over Jackson 2010.

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

fuzzhead wrote:1996: Coal Grove 14, Ashland, Ky 7

I remember that game, the Ashland coached was interviewed for the Independent after the game and he ripped everything about the game, basically said that there was no way in he-- that Coal Grove beat Ashland fair and square, then if I am correct they got blasted by Ironton.

seasick80
All State

Post by seasick80 »

Ptown beating Burg in 99? at Ptown. burg #1 in Ap poll and rolling and Ptown knocked down a screen pass that Burg set up BEAUTIFULLY! The DE for ptown knocked the ball down and the LB made the pick for Ptwon. I was in the enzone and if Gill would have made that pass, Burg had 3 lineman and the best back in the area to go to the endzone. Noone was even out there for Ptown to block! The same yr, burg, Ptown, and Itown played GVV in the regionals and only ironton won. Then Ironton lost in state finals on a 4th and 1. Great yr!! Great job by Ptown! They hit slants all night long and Burg had no answer. But it came down to that play for burg. Awesome! And how about this years game? Burg getting shank to the endzone? What a series!!

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

99 Burg PHS was a great game, and a great upset. Joanna Booker set the tone for that game intercepting a pass on Burgs first possession and returning it for a touchdown. It was PHS first win against the Burg in several years, Burg was # 1 in the AP, and PHS had to win to make the playoffs. I believe this game was what lit the fire under PHS to go under the great run they did, the next 3 years.

trojanbacker97
Riding the Bench

Post by trojanbacker97 »

Not sure of the year(early 90's I think)

Burg was 9-0 and got blasted by the Trojans who were 3-6 coming in to the game.

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

Don't know how big of an upset it was really as ND was a very talented team, and finished 10-0. But in 2000 when the Titians defeated a strong and much bigger Minford team that would go on to win the SOC 2 and qualify for the playoffs.

Return to “Football”