Biggest upset you have witnessed in High School Football?

Paulcrew
JV Team

Re: Biggest upset you have witnessed in High School Football

Post by Paulcrew »

Blue_nd_Gray wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:32 pm Gallia Academy over Ironton in 1985 i think was the year? Those 2 later met in the playoffs.
1984 was the year Gallia beat Ironton. it was the first time in 7 years that Ironton had lost an SEOAL game. In 1985 Ironton beat the Blue Devils twice I believe.

GOBLUE2005
Riding the Bench

Re: Biggest upset you have witnessed in High School Football?

Post by GOBLUE2005 »

Biggest upset I have personally seen was Washington Court House over Clinton Massie 35-34 in 2007. Massie was up 34-22 with 2 minutes left in the game. court house scores making it 34-28 with 1:57 left on the clock. Massie has the ball and all they need to do is run the clock out. QB and the ball off and RB fumbles the ball with a court house recovery. Blue Lions get 3 straight penalties and a couple bad plays leaves them with 3rd and 26 from their own 30 yard line. QB Zack Free takes the snap and throws up a 70 yard pass to WR Caleb Cox. Massie's DB falls down and Cox runs free to the endzone. I have yet to this day seen Gardner Park erupt the way that it did that night. The stands were literally shaking underneath your feet. A great high school football game.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

GOBLUE2005 wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:07 am Biggest upset I have personally seen was Washington Court House over Clinton Massie 35-34 in 2007. Massie was up 34-22 with 2 minutes left in the game. court house scores making it 34-28 with 1:57 left on the clock. Massie has the ball and all they need to do is run the clock out. QB and the ball off and RB fumbles the ball with a court house recovery. Blue Lions get 3 straight penalties and a couple bad plays leaves them with 3rd and 26 from their own 30 yard line. QB Zack Free takes the snap and throws up a 70 yard pass to WR Caleb Cox. Massie's DB falls down and Cox runs free to the endzone. I have yet to this day seen Gardner Park erupt the way that it did that night. The stands were literally shaking underneath your feet. A great high school football game.
Cool story

2Time
Freshman Team

Post by 2Time »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:55 pm 7A3FEA58-9DF0-4B2C-B733-35651635CB46.png

That Wellston team’s schedule was no joke that year either. 5 opponents made the playoffs and Gallia was 7-3 and missed by 1 spot. Oak Hill was regional finalist and Minford regional semis.
I started and played on that team, it was a brutal year and we were a play or two away a couple games from knocking off a few other teams that had terrific seasons.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

2011: Fisher Catholic (0-5) over Harvest Prep (4-1), 16-13. HP beat Newark Catholic 33-14 in week one that season, with the Green Wave beating FC 33-0 two weeks later. HP that year had a huge, fast tight end named Ethan Brown who went to Air Force for football and a 4.3 kid named Zach Yousey who originally was committed to Wisconsin but flipped to Miami of Oxford.

It had rained all week, Lancaster played at home the previous night and it rained all that Saturday. Fulton Field still had grass, and the playing surface was a mud bog. We lost our top WR/CB to a broken collarbone on a kickoff. HP lost six fumbles, had nine (?) personal fouls. FC scored the go-ahead touchdown I think with three minutes to go after we botched the snap on a single wing / wildcat power on the HP 15. Kid from FC scooped it up, and broke four tackles on a criss-cross run into the endzone. Only TD I think he had all year. HP drove mid-way through the field on their final drive but the ball slipped out on a zone read, FC recovered.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Coldwater over Cardinal Mooney is probably the biggest I’ve seen in Ohio

Giorgio Tsoukalous
JV Team

Post by Giorgio Tsoukalous »

I think it was 1992 undefeated 9-0 Coal Grove played 0-9 Rock Hill. If CG wins they make the playoffs at 10-0 but RH played the game of their lives upsetting the undefeated Hornets and knocking them out of the playoffs. By far the biggest upset I've ever seen.

Giorgio Tsoukalous
JV Team

Post by Giorgio Tsoukalous »

2nd biggest upset 1999 ironton beats #1 ranked Cardinal Mooney in state semifinal.

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

By far 2002 Portsmouth West vs Youngstown Ursaline.

OHSAA switched the original bracket around to lead up to a Kenton vs Youngstown championship match up, but the Siders didnt let it happen that day. So much D1 talent on that Ursaline team. Some people called that the carhartt and parka bowl. West's bleachers lined with carhartt, blaze orange and camo. Little different attire on the other side.

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

SiderBlood wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:46 pm By far 2002 Portsmouth West vs Youngstown Ursaline.

OHSAA switched the original bracket around to lead up to a Kenton vs Youngstown championship match up, but the Siders didnt let it happen that day. So much D1 talent on that Ursaline team. Some people called that the carhartt and parka bowl. West's bleachers lined with carhartt, blaze orange and camo. Little different attire on the other side.
Man! It was cold that night.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Not so much an "upset" as it was a "big game", but in 1991, Columbus Bishop Ready was picked by many to compete for the State Championship in Division IV. In a scheduling fluke that year, Wellston was unable to finish the season (due to a teachers strike maybe?). This meant that Nelsonville-York had an opening in Week 9 when NY would have otherwise played Wellston. NY picked up Columbus Bishop Ready. Nearly everyone - even the local media - were picking the Silver Knights over the Buckeyes. NY won the game 20-14 at Boston Field (before it was called Boston Field). NY finished 1991 at 8-2, with losses to Jackson and a heartbreaking one point loss to Vinton County 7-6 that was probably the best Vinton County team they ever fielded. The loss cost Bishop Ready a shot at the playoffs, as they finished fifth in the region barely behind Portsmouth East (like tenths of a point I think), and only the top 4 teams qualified for the playoffs back then. It would have been interesting to see if Ready could have won the State that year if they had qualified.

Speaking of Jackson, for another big game, jump ahead a few years to 1994. NY vs. Jackson in Week 10. It was dubbed the Super Bowl of Southeastern Ohio by the local media. 9-0 Nelsonville-York @ 8-1 Jackson. Nelsonville-York had defeated Logan earlier in the season and Logan went on to win the SEOAL that year, as Jackson's sole loss headed into Week 10 was to Logan. Jackson had home field advantage and the media seemed split on who would win. All predicted a close game. NY rolled to a 48-7 victory on their way to a perfect 10-0 season that ended at 11-1 and Regional Runner Up in Division IV.

VCPops
Freshman Team

Post by VCPops »

My Canton Mckinley beating Cincinnati Moeller 1983 Playoff game. End Mo's 56 game winning streak

sapientia et veritas
Freshman Team

Post by sapientia et veritas »

2012. Hartley vs Ottawa Glandorf was the presumptive “real” state championship game. Hartley squeaked by with the win, and everyone presumed they’d win out with ease. Took a quick 14-0 lead over Clinton-Massie next week and the game was “over.” Everybody slapping each other on the back. But nobody on the Massie sideline was catching on. The little farm boy scrappers came out fighting and got a TD. It was cute. They squib kicked after the TD to one of our sure hands guys. He bobbled it. Falcons pounced. Quick score and the game was even. Same scenario repeated like 5 more times with Hawks losing two or three of them. Before anyone knew it, game was over. Hawks out. And haven’t beaten McSurley since.

Return to “Football”