Biggest upset you have witnessed in High School Football?

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Re: Biggest upset you have witnessed in High School Football

Post by FANOSPORTS »

^^^^^

The 1993 game with Wauseon was a tough one along with basketball that year too I believe. I thought Ironton had their third title wrapped up in that 1999 game. It was a very unhappy ending. UUUGGGGhhhhhh !!!!!!! (Punt, Punt, Punt. I'm still saying that to this day. I know one was blocked earlier but what are the averages).

scarlet and grey
Waterboy

Post by scarlet and grey »

Symmes Valley vs Lucasville Valley in 2002. First time SV beat Valley on their Homecoming night. I believe that the score was 15-14.

Blue_nd_Gray
JV Team

Post by Blue_nd_Gray »

Gallia Academy over Ironton in 1985 i think was the year? Those 2 later met in the playoffs.

robycop3
All State

Post by robycop3 »

In 1990, Griffithsville Duval HS(WV)defeated a highly-favored Peterstown team for the state Class A title. Score was 37-20. I remembered this over the years, especially since their legendary coach, Blaine Wilkerson, passed back in May. (Although Duval was undefeated, they'd supposedly played a weaker sched than Peterstown, who'd lost once.)

I went to that game cuz when I was in Vinson HS in the '60s, we considered it a disgrace to lose to Duval at ANYTHING, spotrzz or academics. I wanted to see just how far Duval had come since being a laighing stock during my HS years.

Couldn't attend the 1991 game, but Duval was favored, being ondefeated in regilar season, as was Peterstown. Pete returned the favor in the semifinals, beating Duval 22-11. That pretty well ended Duval's contention for any more football titles; they made the playoffs sometime in the early 2000s, but were whumped by Tolsia. (Don't recall the score.)

Duval was consolidated into Lincoln HS in 2006. (Far as I'm concerned, "consolidation" is a 4-letter word!)

Anyone see Wheeling Central , ranked 6th with 4 losses, knock off undefeated Wahama, ranked #1, this past season? Reckon that was a big upset.

(Hey, I know this forum is mostly about OHIO HS football, but the OP asked for the biggest upsets we'd seen, so I answered!)

Gray Fighting Tiger
Varsity

Post by Gray Fighting Tiger »

Blue_nd_Gray wrote:Gallia Academy over Ironton in 1985 i think was the year? Those 2 later met in the playoffs.
Perhaps another year. Ironton beat GAHS twice in 1985, in week 10 (a must-win for the Fighting Tigers to get to the playoffs) and then again in week 11.

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

FANOSPORTS wrote:^^^^^

The 1993 game with Wauseon was a tough one along with basketball that year too I believe. I thought Ironton had their third title wrapped up in that 1999 game. It was a very unhappy ending. UUUGGGGhhhhhh !!!!!!! (Punt, Punt, Punt. I'm still saying that to this day. I know one was blocked earlier but what are the averages).
And both by 3 points, right? Was Wauseon the "let them re-kick the missed field goal til they made it" game? Then, I believe, both Ironton and Wauseon lost their respective semi- [or maybe quarter-] final games in baseball that same school year, or we might have played each other in state championship tournament games in 3 different sports. Two small town schools at extreme opposite corners of the state both with solid tradition and both loaded with talent at the same time. Yeah, I hate that loss - but I have to respect Wauseon overall. The '99 Perkins football loss still strikes me as a "fluke" that shouldn't have happened! But that's probably what Valley View says about Ironton!

goldeneagle54
Waterboy

Post by goldeneagle54 »

2004 Gallia over Jackson 14-13
Early 2000s Gallia over Portsmouth at Portsmouth. At the time I think Portsmouth was #1 in the state in their Division.
The biggest upsets that I have WITNESSED.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Pol Pot wrote:Any team that beats Logan is a huge upset, they simply dominate the High School scene.
Yeah at 3-7 they were a wrecking ball last year.

Well I know of 7 huge upsets from last year alone now! LMAO!

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Pol Pot wrote:Any team that beats Logan is a huge upset, they simply dominate the High School scene.
In the past they have had good luck in the regular season.....

But the playoffs....well......thats another story!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Biggest upset you have witnessed in High School Football?

Post by Ironman92 »

Thread is 8 years old....fun reading through

What can we add to this list in the last 8 years?

hsfbfan
Varsity

Post by hsfbfan »

2010 Wellston beating Jackson 33-13. By far the biggest upset I've ever witnessed.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

hsfbfan wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:58 pm 2010 Wellston beating Jackson 33-13. By far the biggest upset I've ever witnessed.
Big upset, not in last 8 years. Game got a lot of mentions throughout the thread

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Wellston over Jackson has to be the biggest. Jackson won the SEOAL and went 9-1. Wellston was a bottom half TVC team. Jackson beat Ironton who lost to the state champ Hartley week 13 26-20

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Don't think I've been on this thread, and it's probably a good thing. I see Mr. Red was on here back in 2011 doing what he does best. Even back then he didn't have a clue/nor the truth about what's going on with Logan, being arrogant, and full of foolishness.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Bleeding Red wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:43 pm
Yeah at 3-7 they were a wrecking ball last year.

Well I know of 7 huge upsets from last year alone now! LMAO!

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Bleeding Red wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:44 pm
In the past they have had good luck in the regular season.....

But the playoffs....well......thats another story!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Raider6309 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:13 pm Wellston over Jackson has to be the biggest. Jackson won the SEOAL and went 9-1. Wellston was a bottom half TVC team. Jackson beat Ironton who lost to the state champ Hartley week 13 26-20
I’m not sure that Jackson team gets to 9 wins if they had beaten Wellston. Quite the gut check to say the least. I prefer those happen in the scrimmage season.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

7A3FEA58-9DF0-4B2C-B733-35651635CB46.png
That Wellston team’s schedule was no joke that year either. 5 opponents made the playoffs and Gallia was 7-3 and missed by 1 spot. Oak Hill was regional finalist and Minford regional semis.
Last edited by Ironman92 on Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Number one Iggy losing to Canton McKinley who was not ranked.
Number one Canton McKinley losing to Grove City who was not ranked.

victor creed
Varsity

Post by victor creed »

I was thinking about oak hill over Minford this year. Pasteur had oak hill as a 20 point dog going into that game

Return to “Football”