Reg 16 #5 Valley View (9-1) @ #4 Waverly (9-1)

LMC
Waterboy

Reg 16 #5 Valley View (9-1) @ #4 Waverly (9-1)

Post by LMC » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:24 pm

Anyone have any information on Valley View?

LMC
Waterboy

Re: Region 16: 5. Valley View (9-1) @ 4. Waverly (9-1)

Post by LMC » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:27 pm

Waverly hasn't made the playoffs since '07 I believe. So this is unfamiliar territory for these Tigers. This game is going to draw a huge crowd! Hope all the Tiger faithful come out in full force! Looking for the jungle to be rocking come Friday night!!

Mad-Dogg
Varsity Backup
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 1989 D4 State Champs, 6x Regional Champs and 31x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:10 pm

Should be a good one
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)
Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain

Mad-Dogg
Varsity Backup
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 1989 D4 State Champs, 6x Regional Champs and 31x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:13 pm

Cal Preps:

Germantown 27
Waverly 21
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)
Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain

greygoose
Varsity Bench

Post by greygoose » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:36 am

Anyone have any information on Valley View??

toast
Freshman Starter

Post by toast » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:40 am

Mad-Dogg wrote:Cal Preps:

Germantown 27
Waverly 21

Just curious but how does Cal Preps come up with their scores?

Mad-Dogg
Varsity Backup

mad-dogg

Post by Mad-Dogg » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:41 am

toast wrote:
Mad-Dogg wrote:Cal Preps:

Germantown 27
Waverly 21

Just curious but how does Cal Preps come up with their scores?
I've always wondered the same thing
Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain

knightruner
Freshman Backup

Post by knightruner » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:25 am

I think Germantown has played a little harder scheduled but not by much. If Waverly plays like they did against Wheelersburg they can win. Valley View at one time was a power house in the Southwest. They played Ironton a few times and won one or two of them. Franklin put a real beating on them earlier this season. I think it will be either a close game or a blow out by Germantown. Hope the Tigers win cause I still hate Germantown for running up the scores on teams that didn't have much. Go Tigers..

THE VILLAGE IDIOT
Waterboy

Post by THE VILLAGE IDIOT » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:48 am

I agree if Waverly plays like they did against wheelersburg not only can they beat V.V. they could win the region, but the Tigers will have to play like they did vs Burg every game from here on out.
V.V. used to be a high school power house back in the 90's winning the state championship 2 years in a row in 1996,1997. They probably had their best team in 1999 until their QB got his leg broke in a playoff game, and that ended their run at the state title that year. Since 99" I think they had a team in either 02" or 03" that made a decent playoff run making it to a regional final I believe. V.V. used to be a pass happy football team but I don't know if they even have the same Coach from the 90's or not. If it's the same Coach then expect to see a very well coached football team. V.V. used to bring a very large crowd too! Waverly has just as good a shot at winning the state championship as any team in this region! The playoff run starts now! Go Tigers!!!!!

wobycat
Varsity Bench

Post by wobycat » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:21 pm

Cal preps uses some sort of mathematical equation to solve. Probably involves scores and opponents strength. They are pretty accurate and the farther they go into the season the better they get. Burg last year was not picked to beat cold water last year and they were pretty close to the score. Even at that, they aren't 100%

petesweaty
Freshman Starter

Post by petesweaty » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:16 pm

Germantown Valley View used to run the spread back in their great years of the 80's and 90's. Do they still run the spread? They were one of the first HS teams to run the spread on every down that I remember.

smurray
Varsity Backup

Post by smurray » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:18 pm

Does Valley View play on turf? I am assuming they do?

old benchwarmer
Waterboy

Post by old benchwarmer » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:27 pm

smurray wrote:Does Valley View play on turf? I am assuming they do?
I found some photos here. Looks like they do have artificial turf. And about 70 or so players on their team...if the photo is current
http://www.vvab.org/

BigBlueNation
Freshman Starter

Post by BigBlueNation » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:01 pm

THE VILLAGE IDIOT wrote:I agree if Waverly plays like they did against wheelersburg not only can they beat V.V. they could win the region, but the Tigers will have to play like they did vs Burg every game from here on out.
V.V. used to be a high school power house back in the 90's winning the state championship 2 years in a row in 1996,1997. They probably had their best team in 1999 until their QB got his leg broke in a playoff game, and that ended their run at the state title that year. Since 99" I think they had a team in either 02" or 03" that made a decent playoff run making it to a regional final I believe. V.V. used to be a pass happy football team but I don't know if they even have the same Coach from the 90's or not. If it's the same Coach then expect to see a very well coached football team. V.V. used to bring a very large crowd too! Waverly has just as good a shot at winning the state championship as any team in this region! The playoff run starts now! Go Tigers!!!!!
I think the game the QB got his leg broke was against Portsmouth Burg or Ironton.

Rolltanks
Bench

Post by Rolltanks » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:35 pm

I hope waverly does well in the playoffs, but if you think a 10 point loss to burg means you can walk through this region you are mistaken. I think it's the best region in d4. Unioto played waverly early, both teams have improved. But after seeing them first hand, and seeing Wyoming Indian hill massie. You might won't to take it down a notch. Not to mention alter they are way above the other teams in the region. Enjoy your playoff run but take it one day at a time and hope you don't get alter.

old benchwarmer
Waterboy

Post by old benchwarmer » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:59 pm

I realize they try to keep an equal number of teams in each division and region, but how is it that Waverly is in the Southwest region, when most of the schools around them are in the Southeast region. That southwest region is a killer.

wrestlefan
Freshman Starter

Post by wrestlefan » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:02 pm

Niswongser left vv about 8ish Yea ago. Vv took off in 1992. I played and coached against them for bellbrook. My sr yr, 91, we had 48 on them in the second quarter. Brook blew them out the next year again, then valley view took off!

THE VILLAGE IDIOT
Waterboy

Post by THE VILLAGE IDIOT » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:09 am

BigBlueNation wrote:
THE VILLAGE IDIOT wrote:I agree if Waverly plays like they did against wheelersburg not only can they beat V.V. they could win the region, but the Tigers will have to play like they did vs Burg every game from here on out.
I think the game the QB got his leg broke was against Portsmouth Burg or Ironton.
Last edited by THE VILLAGE IDIOT on Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Oaf
Varsity Bench

Post by The Oaf » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:37 am

THE VILLAGE IDIOT wrote:
BigBlueNation wrote:

The broken leg was against Ironton in a 4th round playoff game. V.V. was up 29-0 on Ironton at halftime and the heavily recruited D1 V.V. QB couldn't be stopped. He picked the Tigers apart the entire 1st half. The 2nd play of the 3rd quarter the 2 defensive ends of Ironton blitzed, picked the Qb up and slammed him breaking his leg. The backup QB and offense fell apart and didn't have any positive yards the entire 2nd half. Ironton came back to win the game 33-29.
It was actually the regional final, 3rd round. Kid's name was Dustin Strayer I do believe. VV blasted Burg the week before. Ironton beat Mooney in the 4th round. Other then that, your post is factual.
Last edited by The Oaf on Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded! ~Lawrence M. Krauss

THE VILLAGE IDIOT
Waterboy

Post by THE VILLAGE IDIOT » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:39 am

Rolltanks wrote:I hope waverly does well in the playoffs, but if you think a 10 point loss to burg means you can walk through this region you are mistaken. I think it's the best region in d4. Unioto played waverly early, both teams have improved. But after seeing them first hand, and seeing Wyoming Indian hill massie. You might won't to take it down a notch. Not to mention alter they are way above the other teams in the region. Enjoy your playoff run but take it one day at a time and hope you don't get alter.

I agree this is probably the strongest region in D4. I'm sure the Waverly team, coaches, fans, or even myself aren't looking past anyone, or underestimating any team. This Waverly team in my opinion is capable of beating any D4 team in the state! It's certainly not a stretch to say that this group of Tigers are just as capable as any other team in the region of making it to the state championship game! Believe in yourselves Tigers! You can do it!!

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
Mr. Ohio

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:46 am

ironton has had many a scrape with the valley view team through the years. in years past they were always smaller in stature but executed extremely well. and did not shoot themselves in the foot. I'm gonna take this one in this weekend.
IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
Mr. Ohio

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:52 am

THE VILLAGE IDIOT wrote:
Rolltanks wrote:I hope waverly does well in the playoffs, but if you think a 10 point loss to burg means you can walk through this region you are mistaken. I think it's the best region in d4. Unioto played waverly early, both teams have improved. But after seeing them first hand, and seeing Wyoming Indian hill massie. You might won't to take it down a notch. Not to mention alter they are way above the other teams in the region. Enjoy your playoff run but take it one day at a time and hope you don't get alter.

I agree this is probably the strongest region in D4. I'm sure the Waverly team, coaches, fans, or even myself aren't looking past anyone, or underestimating any team. This Waverly team in my opinion is capable of beating any D4 team in the state! It's certainly not a stretch to say that this group of Tigers are just as capable as any other team in the region of making it to the state championship game! Believe in yourselves Tigers! You can do it!!
hey I hope they do but you have no idea what beast lie within d4. the likes you cannot even imagine. I'd concentrate on one game at a time. CAUSE THAT'S ONE BIG BOWL A SOUP YER GONNA NEED TO BACK THAT STATEMENT UP. HEY I'D LOVE TO SEE EM WIN STATE. BUT V V WILL BE ALL YOU WANT FOR NOW.
IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
Mr. Ohio

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:11 am

D4 WAS IRONTON'S DIVISION FOR MANY MOONS. HERE IS A LIST OF D4 TEAMS THAT MADE THE PLAYOFFS
PERRY, CRESTWOOD,YOUNGSTOWN CARDINAL MOONEY, WOODRIDGE, STRUTHERS, HUBBARD, NOTRE DAME CATHEDRAL LATIN,PARMA HEIGHTS HOLY NAME, PORT CLINTON, OTTOWA GLANDORF,INDIAN LAKE, PLAIN CITY JONATHON ALDER, COLUMBUS BISHOP HARTLEY, CALADONIA RIVER VALLEY, BELLEVUE, BENJAMIN LOGAN, HEATH, STUEBENVILLE BIG RED,SHELBY, BLOOM CARROLL, CAMBRIDGE, INDIAN CREEK, PHILO, CINCY WYOMING, CLINTON MASSIE, ARCHBISHOP ALTER, WAVERLY, GERMANTOWN VALLEY VIEW, CINCY IDIAN HILLS, CINCY TAFT, UNIOTO.

THIS DISTRICT IS CHOCKED FULL OF CATHOLIC SCHOOLS WITH HUGE INNER CITIES TO PULL/RECRUIT FROM. I HOPE YA'LL WIN IT ALL, I REALLY DO. BUT A STATEMENT ABOUT BEATING ANY D4 TEAM, AFTER GETTING BEAT BY A D5 TEAM IS A HORSE OF A DIFFERENT COLOR. AND THESE TEAMS DO NOT PLAY ANYTHING SIMILIAR TO THE SOC SCHEDULE WISE. MOST ALL THESE SCHOOLS PLAY IN CATHOLIC LEAGUES AND PLAY UP IN DIVISIONS OR PLAY IN HUGE INNER CITRY SCHOOL LEAGUES. SO WAVERLY WILL HAVE TO BE HITTING ON ALL CYLINDERS.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
Mr. Ohio

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:16 am

You have teams in this division that can get in the playoffs at 4-6 or 5-5 and win state, because all year long they were playing d1,d2,and d3 teams. but I'd love to see a big run by the waverly tigers. just don't ask for too much pizza too quickly. it's a hard buffet to swaller.

greygoose
Varsity Bench

Post by greygoose » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:27 am

VV looks to be running a 3-4-4 defense. Typically a backer or 2 is blitzing on most plays, they fly to the ball and going East/West isn't the best option of choice. They aren't big but quick all the way across the board. Play both man to man and zone. Straight ahead looks to be best strategy. Offense typically spreads you out going both under center and from shotgun, however they have a lot of formations to account for. There's a lot of motion pre-snap. QB seems to be the key as there's quite a bit of read plays and QB keeps. RBs/WRs are quick and tough to bring down in space will take it to the house if they get a opening. QB isn't near the passer as he is a rusher, struggles with accuracy. The speed Burg had and the blitzing of River Valley is a combination that should benefit Waverly, having seen faced that this season, going into this game as VV brings a lot of those same traits. Unless you can catch them in the wrong defense at the right time they typically don't make a mistake. Very fundamentally sound team. Has the makings of quite the game. If Waverly plays sound defense the score could be lower then some think.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
Mr. Ohio

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:24 am

that goose my friend sounds like a fine scouting report. I have no idea about them. but that does sound like a carbon copy of what I remember from their days playing ironton. multiple formations, fundamentally sound, and disciplined and somewhat undersized is exactly how I remember them, and they made very few mental mistakes.

LMC
Waterboy

Post by LMC » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:49 pm

Is Harris pretty much done running the ball this year? I knows he's been used lightly on offense since the injury. Kritzwiser has done a fine job filling in for him. Just didn't know if they have been saving Harris for the playoffs or he's just not the same since getting hurt.

THE VILLAGE IDIOT
Waterboy

Post by THE VILLAGE IDIOT » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:02 pm

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote:D4 WAS IRONTON'S DIVISION FOR MANY MOONS. HERE IS A LIST OF D4 TEAMS THAT MADE THE PLAYOFFS
PERRY, CRESTWOOD,YOUNGSTOWN CARDINAL MOONEY, WOODRIDGE, STRUTHERS, HUBBARD, NOTRE DAME CATHEDRAL LATIN,PARMA HEIGHTS HOLY NAME, PORT CLINTON, OTTOWA GLANDORF,INDIAN LAKE, PLAIN CITY JONATHON ALDER, COLUMBUS BISHOP HARTLEY, CALADONIA RIVER VALLEY, BELLEVUE, BENJAMIN LOGAN, HEATH, STUEBENVILLE BIG RED,SHELBY, BLOOM CARROLL, CAMBRIDGE, INDIAN CREEK, PHILO, CINCY WYOMING, CLINTON MASSIE, ARCHBISHOP ALTER, WAVERLY, GERMANTOWN VALLEY VIEW, CINCY IDIAN HILLS, CINCY TAFT, UNIOTO.

THIS DISTRICT IS CHOCKED FULL OF CATHOLIC SCHOOLS WITH HUGE INNER CITIES TO PULL/RECRUIT FROM. I HOPE YA'LL WIN IT ALL, I REALLY DO. BUT A STATEMENT ABOUT BEATING ANY D4 TEAM, AFTER GETTING BEAT BY A D5 TEAM IS A HORSE OF A DIFFERENT COLOR. AND THESE TEAMS DO NOT PLAY ANYTHING SIMILIAR TO THE SOC SCHEDULE WISE. MOST ALL THESE SCHOOLS PLAY IN CATHOLIC LEAGUES AND PLAY UP IN DIVISIONS OR PLAY IN HUGE INNER CITRY SCHOOL LEAGUES. SO WAVERLY WILL HAVE TO BE HITTING ON ALL CYLINDERS.
Last edited by THE VILLAGE IDIOT on Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crab's Brother
JV Backup

Post by Crab's Brother » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:17 pm

THE VILLAGE IDIOT wrote:
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote:D4 WAS IRONTON'S DIVISION FOR MANY MOONS. HERE IS A LIST OF D4 TEAMS THAT MADE THE PLAYOFFS

Bait my friend, I know that you know this as well as anyone, it only takes 1 year, 1 time, 1 good team that believes in themselves, and a little bit of playoff luck to be a state champion! Look at Sandusky Perkins Pirates. They'd never made the playoffs before 1999 and that team had all the things I mentioned above, and I don't think they've ever made the playoffs since 1999. They believed in themselves, and had a little bit of luck and came away with a state championship in D4 defeating an Ironton team who was favored to win. Sandusky Perkins wasn't the better team, and they didn't deserve to win but that's where the luck comes into play. Sometimes the better team don't always win! I think you get what I'm trying to say. A strong belief in yourselves and your team and anything is possible! GO TIGERS!!!
Perkins was in the playoffs the year before in 98. They have made it about 10 times since.

It is great that you feel Waverly could win a title. Hopefully the kids feel that way too. But in reality, with the likes of Alter waiting, it just isn't very likely.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
Mr. Ohio

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:17 pm

THE VILLAGE IDIOT wrote:

Bait my friend, I know that you know this as well as anyone, it only takes 1 year, 1 time, 1 good team that believes in themselves, and a little bit of playoff luck to be a state champion! Look at Sandusky Perkins Pirates. They'd never made the playoffs before 1999 and that team had all the things I mentioned above, and I don't think they've ever made the playoffs since 1999. They believed in themselves, and had a little bit of luck and came away with a state championship in D4 defeating an Ironton team who was favored to win. Sandusky Perkins wasn't the better team, and they didn't deserve to win but that's where the luck comes into play. Sometimes the better team don't always win! I think you get what I'm trying to say. A strong belief in yourselves and your team and anything is possible! GO TIGERS!!!
brother I know it can happen. and I certainly hope it does. nothing would make me any happier, than to see my fighting tigers and my new hometown waverly tigers to both win state titles. somebody has to be that team. and I hope you guys thump valley view, and the fighting tigers thump Coshocton. i'll likely be at the waverly game.

piratepride86
Freshman Starter

Post by piratepride86 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:32 pm

Good luck to Waverly

greygoose
Varsity Bench

Post by greygoose » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:34 pm

Both of these teams finished 5-5 last year, now 9-1 this year. So have to be thinking both sides have some experienced kids on each side of the ball. VV really flies to the ball the Harris boy is one Waverly is going to really need to hang their hats on hopefully he's at full strength.

smurray
Varsity Backup

Post by smurray » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:21 pm

I don't know the report on Harris but I would think he would be used as much as physically possible with the lose and go home situation. Kritzwiser has done a great job but the two are completely different backs. Maybe we'll see both of them in there at the same time. Maybe the Tigers come out with some new wrinkles in the offense.

IBTT
Freshman Starter

Post by IBTT » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:11 am

BigBlueNation wrote:
Ironton was down big at almost half time when it happened. I think something like 29-0. Once he was out of the game it all came unglued and Ironton trucked them from there on winning I believe 33-29. I do know they didn't score the rest of the night. Never seen a team rely on one kid as much as that team did that year.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
Mr. Ohio

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:39 am

I remember that game as well.