Public Recruiting

Post by cbolt »

Probably just the tip of the iceberg around the big city
http://nbc4i.com/2016/10/25/dublin-coff ... june-2018/

BiddyBallDaddy
Freshman Team

Re: Public Recruiting

Post by BiddyBallDaddy »

Just a slap on the wrist in my opinion. Schools will continue this until something is truly done to the school, OR, large fines are put in place.

You slap a school with a $10k-30k fine for it and I think you see it come down. Not many schools will want to pay a fine, let along let a coach recruit and risk that. It's hard to say how much the fine is, but something like this could prevent schools from doing it.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

*looks at school listed*

Dublin Coffman?

*clears glasses*

Ah, Archbishop Coffman... now it makes sense!

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

Biddy is right. Its nothing to them. Most schools that do it have wealthy alumni. Hit them where it hurts. In the wallet! Start taking funds from then schools athletic departments and post season appearances away from them.

"Whats that? You got caught recruiting? Oh! That's a $5ooo.oo fine and a 5 year ban on the post season."

AT THE RESERVATION
Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Akron Hoban's coach was going to middle school's around Akron and got nothing

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

1987chieftains wrote:Biddy is right. Its nothing to them. Most schools that do it have wealthy alumni. Hit them where it hurts. In the wallet! Start taking funds from then schools athletic departments and post season appearances away from them.

"Whats that? You got caught recruiting? Oh! That's a $5ooo.oo fine and a 5 year ban on the post season."

How do you determine if a "wealthy alumni" and the school actually pays that fine? To get serious, ban from post seasons and competition in general. Who wants to transfer to a school who is ineligible for post season?

powtowner
Waterboy

Post by powtowner »

formerfcfan wrote:*looks at school listed*

Dublin Coffman?

*clears glasses*

Ah, Archbishop Coffman... now it makes sense!
Dublin Coffman in located on Coffman ave in Dublin, OH.... Kids in Columbus are pretty much free agents with the rate that cbus is growing. Cleveland and Cincy have their battle lines drawn to which the "elite teams" get their feeders. C- bus is up in the air as to who is going to be the dominate teams. It is kinda the wild west. In wrestling a state champ might be going to school at school A, wrestle at open mats that night there and be at school B in the morning...

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

thebarlowbandit wrote:
1987chieftains wrote:Biddy is right. Its nothing to them. Most schools that do it have wealthy alumni. Hit them where it hurts. In the wallet! Start taking funds from then schools athletic departments and post season appearances away from them.

How do you determine if a "wealthy alumni" and the school actually pays that fine? To get serious, ban from post seasons and competition in general. Who wants to transfer to a school who is ineligible for post season?
You don't fine the alumni. You fine the athletic dept. or the even the coach. After a time or two I'm sure it would stop. The post season ban IMO would hurt! Or even have the coach turn the program over to someone else for the next full season of their sport. And it’s up to the school whether it wants to renew their contract after that season, and whether it wants to pay them while they sit it out.

AT THE RESERVATION
LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

I wish they would make any team found guilty to forfeit all of their games and ban the school from the playoff for 3 years.

BiddyBallDaddy
Freshman Team

Post by BiddyBallDaddy »

Hit them where it hurts, money. No one enjoys paying fines, and schools certainly will not put up with it. Doesn't matter if you have alumni or not, eventually it will stop.

Slap a postseason ban for their first year warning with the fine. Next offense is a 5 year ban of the school and coach and a fine. Solved.
Last edited by BiddyBallDaddy on Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

IMO the OHSSA treats it like officer Bar Brady... " Nothing to see here. Move along."

AT THE RESERVATION
BiddyBallDaddy
Freshman Team

Post by BiddyBallDaddy »

1987chieftains wrote:IMO the OHSSA treats it like officer Bar Brady... " Nothing to see here. Move along."
I can only imagine how difficult it would be to police the entire state of Ohio. But I agree, it's a joke and a slap on the wrist most of the time.

I can name 2 schools in Scioto County alone that reap the benefits of kids transferring or getting kicked out of a school and transferring in and not having to sit out. All while the OHSAA sits in their office on their hands with blindfolds on.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

If you start making coaches/athletic dept. pay fines for they're stupidity and greed and it will stop. The best way to hurt someone is in the wallet. We all know that. It would only take a few well known schools that we know do it, to get hit. And it would stop. I would think a District Super would not want to shuffle money that is set for Academics to bail out a stupid coach for trying to get a kid from another school.

AT THE RESERVATION
thebarlowbandit
All State

Can you imagine the shear number of people and investigators required and the cost associated with having an "investigative" unit within the OHSAA? It's simply not practical. Same set up as the NCAA but a smaller scale. The professional educators who are entrusted with the care and education of our children are the first line here, Principals and Superintendents, NOT the OHSAA.

My comment about the fines is in relation to the post I quoted that you should fine the booster. That does nothing to discourage the schools behavior, and fines to the school would likely be paid in many places by a booster or community member and hence not effective. See lots of people pointing out "problems" but few offering solutions.

As to the Scioto County comment, kids transferring or being kicked out of one school is far different than recruiting.

js7_22
Varsity

Post by js7_22 »

Kids transferring IS the problem due to recruitment

Ground Buck
All Conference

Post by Ground Buck »

js7_22 wrote:Kids transferring IS the problem due to recruitment
Some kids just want to play for a better team, and to have better facilities. What's wrong with wanting something better for yourself? :mrgreen:

Disclaimer: This is all an opinion and I am therefore hoping we can still express opinions on this site without retort.
1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

thebarlowbandit wrote:Can you imagine the shear number of people and investigators required and the cost associated with having an "investigative" unit within the OHSAA? It's simply not practical. Same set up as the NCAA but a smaller scale. The professional educators who are entrusted with the care and education of our children are the first line here, Principals and Superintendents, NOT the OHSAA.

My comment about the fines is in relation to the post I quoted that you should fine the booster. That does nothing to discourage the schools behavior, and fines to the school would likely be paid in many places by a booster or community member and hence not effective. See lots of people pointing out "problems" but few offering solutions.

As to the Scioto County comment, kids transferring or being kicked out of one school is far different than recruiting.
so what would you suggest?

AT THE RESERVATION
thebarlowbandit
All State

1987chieftains wrote:
thebarlowbandit wrote:Can you imagine the shear number of people and investigators required and the cost associated with having an "investigative" unit within the OHSAA? It's simply not practical. Same set up as the NCAA but a smaller scale. The professional educators who are entrusted with the care and education of our children are the first line here, Principals and Superintendents, NOT the OHSAA.

so what would you suggest?

Stiffer penalties which I believe you have been seeing. There are over 700 school districts, the shear number of an investigative team and the cost. The NCAA (which has way more issues and cases) does not even do this. The system is set up for self-reporting and monitoring, and at the end of the day, the adults and professionals should be just that, adults and professionals. When they fail, there needs to be a hammer.

CavalierAlum05
Varsity

Post by CavalierAlum05 »

This is never going to stop. Its not as much "recruiting" as it is kids seeing better facilities and wanting to go there.
At my alma mater we had kids transfer in all the time for a better look at colleges. This is more a story of some kid that got recruited and cried about lack of PT. Start winning some ball games and recruiting will happen naturally.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Chillicothe was an all star team
John Glen was an all star team
South Webster was an all star team
Oak Hill was an all star team
Alexander volleyball/basketball was an all star team
Jackson football has been notorious for pulling from multiple schools
Ironton recruited from three states. Looks like Wheelersburg gets the best football players now

Return to “Football”