Rivalries

bbn77
All Conference

Re: Rivalries

Post by bbn77 »

South Point doesn't really have a true rival. Gallia Academy's big one is probably River Valley

ROLL PEAKE
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I'd think south points biggest rival would be Chesapeake or coal grove since they have border rivalries.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Riding the Bench

Post by 645945 »

Gallipolis's biggest rival is not river valley not in a historical context. Point, Jackson, Logan were always the games that the blue devils would mark down. In my opinion.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Athens rival would be Alexander. Its a rivalry over every sport. Athens vs Alexander soccer plays for the Challenge Cup

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Jackson and Chillicothe are new rivals IMO

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I agree poo.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
The Oaf
SEO

Post by The Oaf »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote:this really got me to thinking about tiger football and I started thinking about teams we played on a regular basis I miss. of course the level of football is not the same now as it was then. a bunch of them are regular season opponents, some are playoff opponents we met on a regular basis. but in nearly all cases these schools got much bigger. rarely did they have a like enrollment to ironton. but i'll name some.

waverly
Huntington east
Huntington high
DuPont, w. va.
Dayton Jefferson
Dayton dunbar
Washington court house
akron saint Vincent saint Mary's
Germantown valley view
greenup co. ky
boyd co ky
westfall
Bellaire
Chillicothe
cabell midland
beechwood ky
Columbus bishop Watterson
Lawrence co ky
mariette
Zanesville

those were some awesome days in ironton football.
Gotta throw Licking Valley and Mooney in there bait

Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded! ~Lawrence M. Krauss
MeyerSpread
JV Team

Post by MeyerSpread »

645945 wrote:Gallipolis's biggest rival is not river valley not in a historical context. Point, Jackson, Logan were always the games that the blue devils would mark down. In my opinion.
Since they no longer play those schools I would say the Blue Devils new rivals are RV and Meigs, (both game play for trophies) both have always thought of Gallia as a rival but GA probably never considered it one. With the recent downfall, I would assume the Blue Devils are probably getting pretty sick of losing to these 2 "little brother" type programs which I would imagine would spark an equal "competitive hate" for years to come.

Another similar situation is River Valley and Meigs. River Valley thinks of Meigs as a rival and Meigs doesn't think of RV as one but with RV emerging and even though Meigs has continued to dominate the win/loss in the series the games have gotten a lot closer in recent years.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

The Oaf wrote:
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote:this really got me to thinking about tiger football and I started thinking about teams we played on a regular basis I miss. of course the level of football is not the same now as it was then. a bunch of them are regular season opponents, some are playoff opponents we met on a regular basis. but in nearly all cases these schools got much bigger. rarely did they have a like enrollment to ironton. but i'll name some.

waverly
Huntington east
Huntington high
DuPont, w. va.
Dayton Jefferson
Dayton dunbar
Washington court house
akron saint Vincent saint Mary's
Germantown valley view
greenup co. ky
boyd co ky
westfall
Bellaire
Chillicothe
cabell midland
beechwood ky
Columbus bishop Watterson
Lawrence co ky
mariette
Zanesville

those were some awesome days in ironton football.
Gotta throw Licking Valley and Mooney in there bait

oaf the only time I remember playing them was in Zanesville and ironton beat mooney. I think maybe in 99. when we were like 6-3 and lost in the state game to Sandusky perkins. not sure how many times we met licking valley a couple maybe. I was more mentioning games that were played a lot

89pirate74
Waterboy

Post by 89pirate74 »

Mailman wrote:I believe Ironton v Portsmouth is second oldest rivalry in state

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_h ... _years_old

Mailman
All Conference

Post by Mailman »

Sorry, 4th

89pirate74
Waterboy

Post by 89pirate74 »

no reason to apologize, i just wanted to check to see who had the oldest in the state!

Return to “Football”