OVC: Better or worse with the addition of Ironton and Portsmouth?

79Tiger
All Conference

OVC: Better or worse with the addition of Ironton and Portsmouth?

Post by 79Tiger »

I've always been a fan of OVC football from the first time I attended a St. Joe football game in the late '60's. I see improvement across the board in the past 2 years. What say you?

Once a Tiger, always a Tiger. :D
bbn77
All Conference

Re: OVC: Better or worse with the addition of Ironton and Portsmouth?

Post by bbn77 »

Love the addition. Very competitive and it's good for all sports

ROLL PEAKE
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

LET'S NOT FORGET GAHS. THEY'LL GET ER LINED OUT.
everyone that has read my posts knows I was full bore against the league as talks started. I thought ironton needed to continue to play the wattersons, the hartleys, the desales, and the like. I was wrong. and apparently one of the last to digest what was really what was happening in ironton. I came to realize that this was right where the 3 new teams needed to be. geographically, travel wise, student enrollment figures, same economical situtions , no big cities to poach players from, like type stadiums, everybody nearly with new facilities, natural border rivalries that had long since been foes. new rivalries being formed, SEOAL teams reunited to continue battling. and all of a sudden taking in all sports involved it made perfect sense to me. I think it is as fair as equal as any league in the state can get. and in every sport now the league will be very deep in every sport. with multiple teams advancing to post season play. I was concerned somewhat for the league as everybody saw ironton and Portsmouth floundering and all of a sudden everybody wanted a piece of them. I said careful what you wish for. but I'm very glad to see the move now. ironton has it's 3 traditional traditional rivalries out of conference with wheelersburg, Russell, ky and Ashland, ky. I don't see that ever changing. so any new faces schedule wise at least in football will have to be in the playoffs. but overall I think this will be a very diverse, very competitive and fair league across the board. and travel wise it makes perfect sense. the big question, especially football wise does the OVC actually provide enough punch to prepare you for post season play. that remains to be soon, so far it has not.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
79Tiger
All Conference

Post by 79Tiger »

We've known each other for years YTB. We were football teammates in Junior High. I wonder if any league actually prepares a team for the post season. I think a successful team is going to be a success regardless of who they play. I do, however, believe it is better to schedule the best competition available. Since league strength is unpredictable from season to season, it is important to schedule up in non-league play to counter the unpredictability of league strength. Overall, I believe the OVC is better now than two years ago and will continue to get better.

Once a Tiger, always a Tiger. :D
The Oaf
SEO

Post by The Oaf »

Much better league with the newbies.

Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded! ~Lawrence M. Krauss
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

79Tiger wrote:We've known each other for years YTB. We were football teammates in Junior High. I wonder if any league actually prepares a team for the post season. I think a successful team is going to be a success regardless of who they play. I do, however, believe it is better to schedule the best competition available. Since league strength is unpredictable from season to season, it is important to schedule up in non-league play to counter the unpredictability of league strength. Overall, I believe the OVC is better now than two years ago and will continue to get better.
I know you were friend. I wished I could have continued to play. I'd have to have sat out my junior year. and try to play again my senior year. unfortunately I was more interested in football, girls and partying back in the day. went out to the vocational school and took welding my junior and senior year.while being a cook at ponderosa. I sometimes wished I had prioritized things differently. but it worked out in the end. we know from the ole seoal days the difference in the competition, but ironton has had a complete different turn around enrollment wise and job wise without the railroads, national mines, Armco and the like. and I agree the ovc is stronger now as well.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

No questions asked, these were great adds.

Who are we kidding.

Honestly, if Waverly would leave (talk of it here lately to SVC or FAC), the SOC II would be foolish not to try and grab them.

Burg-West-Minford-Valley-Portsmouth-Ironton.

Let's not get that started though lol.

Riding the Bench

Post by 645945 »

Thank you bait for the gahs recognition. I am reading from some this was foolish of the ovc. Many here in blue land thought it foolish to go to the ovc. Over time I have come to terms with the move and see that it was the right move seeing that the seoal went the way of the dinosaur. We have young players on the rise in three years I do believe the talk of if gallipolis should be in the league or not will be settled. If current kids stay out and active I believe from the depths we shall rise.

ELChapo
Freshman Team

Post by ELChapo »

As an Ironton grad, moving to the OVC is embarrassing. Ironton football is way better than the OVC. It is a step backwards.

bbn77
All Conference

Post by bbn77 »

ELChapo wrote:As an Ironton grad, moving to the OVC is embarrassing. Ironton football is way better than the OVC. It is a step backwards.
Ironton isn't what they used to be. If it wasn't for the OVC they wouldn't be in the playoff hunt right now. Why be independent and get whipped by Columbus schools every week? For travel, for competition, for rivalries, going to the OVC was the best move. And by the way, there are other sports in the OVC. This is like saying Fairland should get out of the OVC because they have the best basketball team. News flash buddy, Bob Lutz isn't there anymore and it's 2016, not the 70s

ROLL PEAKE
farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Sure makes it better. With the longest travel for Portsmouth and Gallipolis not to bad. Unless an bad accident like on I64 in WV yesterday caused all kinds of delays. For Ironton it has been years since they traveled in masses to games. This allows more people to get to the games. As well as more students to support their school. The side effect is bigger gates. Which football helps support the other sports. The shorter trips helps out when out with school the next day.

In the 2 biggest sports Boys Basketball and football is very good. Top to bottom very competitive in basketball. With some very good teams and playoff teams that can win 3 plus games in the playoffs. Football not a great league. With some bottom schools and more in the middle with Chesapeake and Ironton at the top. Competition over the years should help schools improve. Just as long as the politics quit getting in the way. It has to be earned not giving to them.

No matter what the most important thing in all of this is the addition of Portsmouth. This allows fans from other schools to enjoy the Ribber before games.

bbn77
All Conference

Post by bbn77 »

Don't forget Hickies. The Ribber is excellent as well but Hickies makes a great burger

ROLL PEAKE
maniac66
All State

Post by maniac66 »

I said it 6 years ago the OVC would be taking Ironton portsmouth and Gallia Academy in to their league.
And I may sound foolish but I would not be surprised to see Jackson invited in a few years along with Symmes Valley and Oak hill and the OVC being split into 2 Divisions.
But for now having the 3 schools Ironton Ports. and G.A. is a excellent move.

Sitting watching the sun set over the dessert.
GoBucks1047
JV Team

Post by GoBucks1047 »

maniac66 wrote:I said it 6 years ago the OVC would be taking Ironton portsmouth and Gallia Academy in to their league.
And I may sound foolish but I would not be surprised to see Jackson invited in a few years along with Symmes Valley and Oak hill and the OVC being split into 2 Divisions.
But for now having the 3 schools Ironton Ports. and G.A. is a excellent move.
I don't know about Jackson now that they're in the FAC, but I can see Symmes Valley and Oak Hill, maybe even the return of River Valley, I'd prefer the latter 2 schools, and Raceland I think would be nice addition too if they weren't in Kentucky, but staying 8 schools is probably a better option for now and in the near future (5-10 years), and if any expansion should arise, it should be to 12 schools,

I know this is a little off topic, but with the new FAC, keep an eye on the possibility of a chain of realignment should the new league expand to 8 in the near future and add Unioto (assuming they would except an invitation), I can see it possibly affecting the SVC, SOC, OVC, and maybe even as far as the TVC and PVC, but 1 move would certainly affect the length of the potential realignment chain. Like would Portsmouth and/or Ironton accept an invitation to the SOC or do they decide they're better off in the much improved OVC? Would River Valley want to return to the OVC if offered? Would Oak Hill be willing to leave the SOC for the OVC or even the TVC if the opportunity arises? Etc. Definitely interesting to think about all the possibilities that could happen, and yet it could also turn out to be a whole bunch of nothing.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

bbn77 wrote:
ELChapo wrote:As an Ironton grad, moving to the OVC is embarrassing. Ironton football is way better than the OVC. It is a step backwards.
Ironton isn't what they used to be. If it wasn't for the OVC they wouldn't be in the playoff hunt right now. Why be independent and get whipped by Columbus schools every week? For travel, for competition, for rivalries, going to the OVC was the best move. And by the way, there are other sports in the OVC. This is like saying Fairland should get out of the OVC because they have the best basketball team. News flash buddy, Bob Lutz isn't there anymore and it's 2016, not the 70s

exactly. some of us dinosaurs just took more blows to the head to realize this. I swallered my pride and realized what had happened.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

645945 wrote:Thank you bait for the gahs recognition. I am reading from some this was foolish of the ovc. Many here in blue land thought it foolish to go to the ovc. Over time I have come to terms with the move and see that it was the right move seeing that the seoal went the way of the dinosaur. We have young players on the rise in three years I do believe the talk of if gallipolis should be in the league or not will be settled. If current kids stay out and active I believe from the depths we shall rise.
I'm glad this is a rivalry and tradition that will continue, reuniting ole seoal foes gahs, Portsmouth and ironton. and one can tell by the records it's fair across the board. and long time ovc foes have gotten in their hits as well on them.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

honestly I don't look for the ovc to add any more. you have 3 out of conference games. then the league with no open dates , unless it's ooc. like coal grove had this year.

bbn77
All Conference

Post by bbn77 »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote:
bbn77 wrote:

exactly. some of us dinosaurs just took more blows to the head to realize this. I swallered my pride and realized what had happened.
I tip my hat to you then Bait. Thanks for being one of the few Ironton folks that understand

ROLL PEAKE
purpleblood1
JV Team

Post by purpleblood1 »

Ok, I've watched this conference grow and shrink over the years. But, the one thing I can say is the conference isn't better or worse with the addition of anyone in football. The OVC will always be around and continue to play in playoff games. Where the OVC is better is in basketball and baseball, also in all the ladys sports.

MeyerSpread
JV Team

Post by MeyerSpread »

I've said since day 1. I don't think Ironton will lose in the OVC. I think it's bad.

Return to “Football”