Ironton 43 Portsmouth 28

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Re: WK10 Ironton (6-3) @ Portsmouth (6-3)

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

in the immortal words of lee corso ===================== NOT SO FAST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
softballfan2112
Riding the Bench

Post by softballfan2112 »

IBTT wrote:
IBTT wrote:This could be a big win for the Fighting Tigers program in my opinion this Friday. For the last two seasons Ironton has shown that they wouldn't give up after getting beat early in the season. Last year starting out the year 0-4 while this season starting out the season 1-3. Both seasons the Tigers suffered huge losses of athletes from injuries. This season was a bad one for sure. From what I have, out for the season, Starters, Tanner Wilson, Andrew Scott, Chase Rowe, Seth Fosson and Brady Rowe. Three knee surgeries one ankle and a severe concussion. Then you have top back ups in Ryan Payne and Ayden Barnes both out for the season. Trent Klaiber everyone would have thought would have been out for the season after looking at his leg a couple of weeks ago, but it looks like he will be coming back real soon. Add those to Cody Rowe and Levi Langdon who weren't able to start the season until around the Chesepeake game and you have a lot of new young faces making up this Ironton football team. This bunch has done it all year and now are really starting to know how to play as a unit.
Bait, I have to say it has got to do with a little bit of a couple of things I believe. As far as my youngen, that was pure bad luck for two seasons in a row, when you sack another team's quarterback and your leg whips around and your ankle cracks off of your own player's shoulder pad, totally breaking the bone, that is bad luck. And then the following season to completely jump over the opposing team's last hope at tackling you and not get touched, but when you come down your foot is turned so that it snaps the ACL and Meniscus. Yes Bad Luck.

On the other hand, There were numerous kids who joined the team late this year, after physical fitness and after two a days were completed. I believe that has a lot to do with injuries. I think football conditioning is a conditioning all of it's own. If you aren't ready, you aren't ready.

My son does Yoga at least one day a week if not more, when he is not hurt. He said this year after doing this it was amazing how much easier it was to play football, as it was easier to bend etc. The whole Raceland football team does Yoga as a team. I believe this would be a very smart addition to any team. Stretches prior to the game, strangely opposite to my previous belief, I was recently told could actually cause injury. Came from a doctor of knee's and shoulder's. This of course had to do mostly with the knee injury's . I really don't know how much to say is Turf related. I do know that for years Ironton had a beautiful football field covered in grass that was like landing on a pillow that you never had to worry about grabbing your cleats. There are so many advantages of having Turf vs. grass including the maintenance. Tough question for sure, but I have to say that I have not seen a school have close to as many injuries over the last couple of years as has Ironton for such a small school.

Ironton has had a inordinate amount of non contact lower leg injuries. Everyone points to the turf as the culprit. I just read an article the other day that says it is the shoes that are worn in conjunction with the turf. I don't know much about whether the Ironton team switched shoes when the turf arrived, but this article suggested that wearing the standard football cleat provides too much traction on the turf, and would lead to more lower leg injuries due to the cleats "grabbing" the turf. What type of shoe was Tanner wearing?

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

at's a great point are they actually wearing turf type cleats or the other ones. great question.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

if that's the case. it could perhaps limit injuries switching to a turf cleat.

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

I think we need to go back to grass. We aren't just taking about leg injuries, but how many broken bones have we had? How many concussions? There something going on that need to be fixed.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

this should be a excellent game. i look for the trojans to win in a close one ending the stud cats playoff hopes

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
BiddyBallDaddy
Freshman Team

Post by BiddyBallDaddy »

Mad-Dogg wrote:this should be a excellent game. i look for the trojans to win in a close one ending the stud cats playoff hopes
Good call on the winner, like the added "stud cats" name drop...

bbn77
All Conference

Post by bbn77 »

Congrats to Ironton on a fine win

ROLL PEAKE
ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Congratulations to the Fighting Tigers on the win and making their 32nd playoff appearance.

Congratulations to the Trojans on a great season.

mattash
Site Admin

Re: Ironton 43 Portsmouth 28

Post by mattash »

Ironton 43 Portsmouth 28

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
High Roller
Riding the Bench

Post by High Roller »

The Trojans showed up ready to play last night, as one would expect, in this River Cities clash but were pounded into submission by a powerful Ironton ground game. This is the premier rivalry game in S.E. Ohio and easily is in the top 5 in the whole state. It certainly lived up to that billing tonight. The 3rd qtr alone was worth the price of admission. Offensive fireworks galore were on display.

Congratulations to the Fighting Tigers on an undefeated league title and a 33rd playoff berth. This team has really gelled and overcame some nasty injuries to defend their OVC crown. I-town needs to get behind this bunch of gritty kids as they prepare for what appears will be a likely tilt with Coshocton or possibly Nelsonville-York.
Last edited by High Roller on Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

This was a fun one to watch me n pappy bait went. very sparse Trojan crowd. a lil nip in the air and a beautiful sunset. wow ironton was down 7-3 at the half and reeled off a 40 point second half to pummel the Trojans. is talent parker jojo's son. that kid is an electric player for the Trojans and he is just a frosh. ironton's kick coverage on the two td returns was awful. but they executed 2 wonderful onside kicks. it's awesome seeing ironton finally with a reliable kicking game. that has been missing for a long time. and it made the fighting tigers the outright ovc champions again 2 years running with no losses in the league. the fighting tigers really turned some heads this year after a 1-3 start.then reeled off 7 wins in a row. so congratulations to a solid 7-3 season and another outright ovc championship.

Pop80
Waterboy

Post by Pop80 »

Tigers with 450 rushing yards and 492 total yards. Carrico had 210 yards and Fosson had 164.

The Oaf
SEO

Post by The Oaf »

Never doubted for a minute Ironton would win the OVC and make the playoffs!

Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded! ~Lawrence M. Krauss
sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote:This was a fun one to watch me n pappy bait went. very sparse Trojan crowd. a lil nip in the air and a beautiful sunset. wow ironton was down 7-3 at the half and reeled off a 40 point second half to pummel the Trojans. is talent parker jojo's son. that kid is an electric player for the Trojans and he is just a frosh. ironton's kick coverage on the two td returns was awful. but they executed 2 wonderful onside kicks. it's awesome seeing ironton finally with a reliable kicking game. that has been missing for a long time. and it made the fighting tigers the outright ovc champions again 2 years running with no losses in the league. the fighting tigers really turned some heads this year after a 1-3 start.then reeled off 7 wins in a row. so congratulations to a solid 7-3 season and another outright ovc championship.
Talyn is Jojo's son. He will be a great back I think. Portsmouth had a Lot of seniors on the line and both of their best qb's are seniors so there's going to be some big shoes to fill next season.

dontreply
Freshman Team

Post by dontreply »

Trojans have almost all of the line coming back they are very young. , and what's up with irintons fans? Playing for a play off spot and could only full up about half of the visitors Tibet bleachers that they are always complaining about?

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

dontreply wrote:Trojans have almost all of the line coming back they are very young. , and what's up with irintons fans? Playing for a play off spot and could only full up about half of the visitors Tibet bleachers that they are always complaining about?
I saw at least three of the lineman being introduced as seniors last night. Unless they are not starters how is It that most of the line will be back next year?

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Congratulations to the Fighting Tigers on the win and another playoff berth.

Congratulations to the Trojans on a 6-4 season, the first winning season is over half a decade. Going forward, the football program at Portsmouth will never be able to beat the really good teams on their schedule until DEFENSE comes back into the program. It has been MIA for a long time now, and just look at the numbers this year. PHS gave up 48, 46, 45, 43, 40, 32, 26, and 20 points. In only 2 games did the Trojans allow less than 20 points, and that was to Valley and Gallia Academy, 2 teams that went into week 10 with an 0-9 record. In fact, Portsmouth beat only 1 team with a winning record (Rock Hill).

The overall defensive PPG average was 31.9, which is down from 37 PPG last season, but still way too high to beat the better teams on Portsmouth's schedule. The overall offensive average was 29.2, which is actually up from last season's 27 PPG.

Much work needs to be done on the defensive side of the ball. It has to get fixed or Portsmouth football will never return to a highly competitive level, much less a championship level.

GO TROJANS!!

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

Congrats to Ironton, see you soon maybe.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

sparky wrote:
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote:This was a fun one to watch me n pappy bait went. very sparse Trojan crowd. a lil nip in the air and a beautiful sunset. wow ironton was down 7-3 at the half and reeled off a 40 point second half to pummel the Trojans. is talent parker jojo's son. that kid is an electric player for the Trojans and he is just a frosh. ironton's kick coverage on the two td returns was awful. but they executed 2 wonderful onside kicks. it's awesome seeing ironton finally with a reliable kicking game. that has been missing for a long time. and it made the fighting tigers the outright ovc champions again 2 years running with no losses in the league. the fighting tigers really turned some heads this year after a 1-3 start.then reeled off 7 wins in a row. so congratulations to a solid 7-3 season and another outright ovc championship.
Talyn is Jojo's son. He will be a great back I think. Portsmouth had a Lot of seniors on the line and both of their best qb's are seniors so there's going to be some big shoes to fill next season.
I SEE. I thought they were saying talent. then that should be his nickname cause he is.

Return to “Football”