Waverly 35 Minford 0

Abe Froman
S

Re: WK9 Waverly (7-1) @ Minford (5-3)

Post by Abe Froman »

Could be a trap game. Stranger things have happened.

The Flush
Varsity

Post by The Flush »

What does the 2007 Waverly defense have to do with the 2010 Waverly defense? Completely different players and different head coach.

Harris being hurt was a huge factor in the closer than expected but never in doubt game vs West. Waverly put the ball on the ground 3 times, I believe 2 were on read option handoffs to the replacement RB due to the lack of cohesion between the QB and RB (ie RB wasn't sure if he was getting the ball or not). Those plays really slowed the offense down. Offensively I think Waverly should have thrown deep more often. The play used on the first TD was open frequently. It was obvious before the snap what should be happening and on that play Waverly executed perfectly. I don't know how often Waverly audibles, but when Marquez is in single coverage they should go long every time. They have proven they can throw that route to either side. On the second TD it looked like a similar formation, but the pass was shorter and the WR made a good move to score. Harris being out on defense hurt a lot (if not more) as well. I wish Waverly had the depth to not make key players play both ways. Against Burg both Harris and Marquez had cramps in the second half due to playing both ways so much. I have not heard if Harris will be healthy for the Minford game. If he can't go, the week of practice for his backups plus the game experience from last week should help them perform better.

Minford can certainly win this game. Waverly will have to bring their A game.

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

Waverly 35 Minford 14. Minford will keep this game close in the trenches but Waverly's athletes will get a lot of distribution.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

The Flush wrote:What does the 2007 Waverly defense have to do with the 2010 Waverly defense? Completely different players and different head coach.
Vladimir brought it up and I was explaining why Westfall was able to run it down the Tigers throat that night. The Tiger defense was decimated with injuries. The 2016 Tiger defense does not have as many linebacker studs as the 2007 squad so losing Harris was a big blow.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

The Flush wrote:Harris being hurt was a huge factor in the closer than expected but never in doubt game vs West. Waverly put the ball on the ground 3 times, I believe 2 were on read option handoffs to the replacement RB due to the lack of cohesion between the QB and RB (ie RB wasn't sure if he was getting the ball or not). Those plays really slowed the offense down. Offensively I think Waverly should have thrown deep more often. The play used on the first TD was open frequently. It was obvious before the snap what should be happening and on that play Waverly executed perfectly. I don't know how often Waverly audibles, but when Marquez is in single coverage they should go long every time. They have proven they can throw that route to either side. On the second TD it looked like a similar formation, but the pass was shorter and the WR made a good move to score. Harris being out on defense hurt a lot (if not more) as well. I wish Waverly had the depth to not make key players play both ways. Against Burg both Harris and Marquez had cramps in the second half due to playing both ways so much. I have not heard if Harris will be healthy for the Minford game. If he can't go, the week of practice for his backups plus the game experience from last week should help them perform better.

Agreed

NewEra
All Conference
Location: Hickory, Indiana - I know everything there is to know about the greatest game ever invented.

Post by NewEra »

What's the playoff picture for Minford if they are able to get the win here?

Blitz
Varsity

Post by Blitz »

sadly it doesn't matter they r out

NewEra
All Conference
Location: Hickory, Indiana - I know everything there is to know about the greatest game ever invented.

Post by NewEra »

Blitz wrote:sadly it doesn't matter they r out
Really? That's crazy, a 7-1 D4 team and still out if you get that win, I feel like most years 7-3 gets you in. Just verified with Drew Pasteur, and the Falcons have a 4% chance to get in with a win next week, that Northridge loss could come back to haunt the Falcons if they are able to knock off Waverly.

The Oaf
SEO

Post by The Oaf »

NewEra wrote:
Really? That's crazy, a 7-1 D4 team and still out if you get that win, I feel like most years 7-3 gets you in. Just verified with Drew Pasteur, and the Falcons have a 4% chance to get in with a win next week, that Northridge loss could come back to haunt the Falcons if they are able to knock off Waverly.
But Minford isn't 7-1 nor div IV. You asked about Minford. Their playoff chances are on life support right now. Although I agree the Falcons have a punchers chance against Waverly, I don't think they'll win. If they beat Waverly coupled with the win over valley they have a shot at sneaking in, albeit a slim one.

Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded! ~Lawrence M. Krauss
Blitz
Varsity

Post by Blitz »

yea the Northridge game was critical

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

The Northridge loss was huge.

With a Minford win, they would essentially need:

Paint Valley to win out (Adena and Piketon)
Northwest to be Green and Symmes Valley
Williamsburg to win out (Very possible)
West somehow beating Burg would be a huge plus

Also-

Need either Harrison Central to lose (Not happening), Nelsonville York to lose to Athens, Ridgewood to lose one of the last 2 (wont happen) or Zane Trace to lose one of their last 2.

Not strong possibilities, but the Falcons need to take care of what they can control.....an upset this Friday night.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

good luck to the waverly tigers.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
NewEra
All Conference

Post by NewEra »

The Oaf wrote:
NewEra wrote:
But Minford isn't 7-1 nor div IV. You asked about Minford. Their playoff chances are on life support right now. Although I agree the Falcons have a punchers chance against Waverly, I don't think they'll win. If they beat Waverly coupled with the win over valley they have a shot at sneaking in, albeit a slim one.
I was referring to Waverly's record.

The Oaf
SEO

Post by The Oaf »

NewEra wrote:What's the playoff picture for Minford if they are able to get the win here?
I thought you were asking about Minford because Waverly's playoff picture is perfectly clear. They will finish higher then 7-3 anyway. I guess you can see where the confusion came from old buddy.;)

NewEra
All Conference

Post by NewEra »

The Oaf wrote:
NewEra wrote:What's the playoff picture for Minford if they are able to get the win here?
I thought you were asking about Minford because Waverly's playoff picture is perfectly clear. They will finish higher then 7-3 anyway. I guess you can see where the confusion came from old buddy.;)
Yeah, I was just stating that I found it hard to believe that beating a 7-1 d4 team like Waverly couldn't get Minford over the hump and into the playoffs with a potential 7-3 record.

The Oaf
SEO

Post by The Oaf »

NewEra wrote:
The Oaf wrote:
Yeah, I was just stating that I found it hard to believe that beating a 7-1 d4 team like Waverly couldn't get Minford over the hump and into the playoffs with a potential 7-3 record.
Gotcha man

The Oaf
SEO

Post by The Oaf »

Bleeding Red wrote:The Northridge loss was huge.

Also-

Need either Harrison Central to lose (Not happening), Nelsonville York to lose to Athens, Ridgewood to lose one of the last 2 (wont happen) or Zane Trace to lose one of their last 2.

Not strong possibilities, but the Falcons need to take care of what they can control.....an upset this Friday night.
Agree BR, Minford can only control what's in front of them. I have to ask, which loss hurts more? Rock hill or northridge?

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

The Oaf wrote:
Bleeding Red wrote:The Northridge loss was huge.

Also-

Agree BR, Minford can only control what's in front of them. I have to ask, which loss hurts more? Rock hill or northridge?
If Rock Hill pulls out a win against either Chesapeake or the Grove to finish their season, it looks like that definitely is the one that hurts more.

Northridge has lost to every school in a bigger division than them as well as their wins coming against teams with losing records.

Carter
Riding the Bench

Post by Carter »

Minford-17

Waverly-16

The Oaf
SEO

Post by The Oaf »

I forgot all about you guys playing northwest this year.

Return to “Football”