Wheelersburg 42 Valley 0

Westfan
SEOP

Re: WK9 Valley (0-8) @ Wheelersburg (8-0)

Post by Westfan »

Thats what Bleeding Red is saying. The 6th grade group at Valley is good, but they won't be sophomores for 4 years. Every other SOCII team will be up till then.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Crab's Brother wrote:Valley will be just fine.

First off, not sure how Pikeville is "WAAAYYYY Down". Have you watched them? They have the exact same record and have lost to the same two teams they had at the same point in 2015. Their stud quarterback/corner and RB/MLB are still there. Their radio men thought this team was better at this point than they were at this time in 2015, but maybe that is "WAAAYYY Down".

The problem we have right now is back to back down classes. The past 6-7 years we have alternated between Great/very good classes and then average to above average in between. Well right now we don't have that. Friday night we had I believe 8 or 9 spots being filled by Sophomores. We have not had to play Sophomores that weren't physically "ready" in quite some time. It happens at small schools. Throw in the record of the teams on our schedule is 61-18 and it spells doom.

Valley will not be in bad shape for 4-6 years. The Freshmen and Sophomore are more than solid classes and they are learning every day. The current 8th grade finished 4-3-1. They blew a late lead vs West and let one slip against Northwest in the first game of the season. Minford is the only game they didn't really have a chance to win in the fourth. There are a couple of classes coming that have the "pedigree". I am not talking about "Billy first one to Puberty Jones" either. I am talking about kids from great families with athletic bloodlines that love to play sports.

So yes, Valley is staring 0-10 down the barrel, but they will not be down like this for very long. Despite what some want to think.
I kind of got a tickle out of your athletic blood lines. I've seen good players have non athletic kids. Why I think that valley isdiwn this year is because of the lack of varsity experience. The seniors last year had the benefit of playing as sophomores and freshmen because the older guys had the game wrapped up in the third quarter. Well last year, for most part, it took them to the end of the game and some couldn't get in there. Valley is in a rare season. This is not the norm.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Westfan wrote:Thats what Bleeding Red is saying. The 6th grade group at Valley is good, but they won't be sophomores for 4 years. Every other SOCII team will be up till then.
So all the other teams being "up" will cause Valley to be down?

Valley has kids between now and the current 6th grade group. It isn't like we are waiting on them to be competitive again.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

wobycat wrote:

First off, not sure how Pikeville is "WAAAYYYY Down". Have you watched them? They have the exact same record and have lost to the same two teams they had at the same point in 2015. Their stud quarterback/corner and RB/MLB are still there. Their radio men thought this team was better at this point than they were at this time in 2015, but maybe that is "WAAAYYY Down".

The problem we have right now is back to back down classes. The past 6-7 years we have alternated between Great/very good classes and then average to above average in between. Well right now we don't have that. Friday night we had I believe 8 or 9 spots being filled by Sophomores. We have not had to play Sophomores that weren't physically "ready" in quite some time. It happens at small schools. Throw in the record of the teams on our schedule is 61-18 and it spells doom.

Valley will not be in bad shape for 4-6 years. The Freshmen and Sophomore are more than solid classes and they are learning every day. The current 8th grade finished 4-3-1. They blew a late lead vs West and let one slip against Northwest in the first game of the season. Minford is the only game they didn't really have a chance to win in the fourth. There are a couple of classes coming that have the "pedigree". I am not talking about "Billy first one to Puberty Jones" either. I am talking about kids from great families with athletic bloodlines that love to play sports.

So yes, Valley is staring 0-10 down the barrel, but they will not be down like this for very long. Despite what some want to think.
I kind of got a tickle out of your athletic blood lines. I've seen good players have non athletic kids. Why I think that valley isdiwn this year is because of the lack of varsity experience. The seniors last year had the benefit of playing as sophomores and freshmen because the older guys had the game wrapped up in the third quarter. Well last year, for most part, it took them to the end of the game and some couldn't get in there. Valley is in a rare season. This is not the norm.
That comment was not based on genetics. It was centered more on having parents that push excellence and having an understanding what it takes from a work ethic standpoint to be successful in everything, not just athletics.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

I have a good friend on their coaching staff in Pikeville. Trust me when I say they are "WAAAYYYY DOWN!" compared to what they were last year. Are they slouches? No.........but they aren't the caliber as 2015.

I've seen all of Valleys classes down to 7th grade. Not impressive. Nothing close to what they had to compete in the SOC II in the previous years.

I'm glad you're one of the posters on here who thinks they will be fine because you're from Valley and supposed to, but the majority of the people who are not from Valley that's seen them doesn't agree. I know those rose colored glasses make it look better ;)

Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

People forget that most of valleys classes the last 6 years did not look good in jr high and barely won any games the talent is there the only way valley stays down is if Crabtree decides to retire and I don't see that happening until after his son graduates

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

The demise of Valley is over exaggerated.

0-10; 2016
5-5; 2017
8-2; 2018

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

Crab's Brother wrote:
Westfan wrote:Thats what Bleeding Red is saying. The 6th grade group at Valley is good, but they won't be sophomores for 4 years. Every other SOCII team will be up till then.
So all the other teams being "up" will cause Valley to be down?

Valley has kids between now and the current 6th grade group. It isn't like we are waiting on them to be competitive again.
:lol: He is only hoping they are still down the next few years. I know Valley will be back.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Everyone has an opinion. Valley has a good program. But the best coaching in the world can't win if you don't got the horses.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

Westfan wrote:Everyone has an opinion. Valley has a good program. But the best coaching in the world can't win if you don't got the horses.
Exactly! Valley will not be 5-5 next year. Not even close. The freshman and sophomore classes are average at best. I do like the 8th grade class and the QB is really good. Valley will be back I'm sure, but it's going to be a while.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Bleeding Red wrote:

I have a good friend on their coaching staff in Pikeville. Trust me when I say they are "WAAAYYYY DOWN!" compared to what they were last year. Are they slouches? No.........but they aren't the caliber as 2015.

I've seen all of Valleys classes down to 7th grade. Not impressive. Nothing close to what they had to compete in the SOC II in the previous years.

I'm glad you're one of the posters on here who thinks they will be fine because you're from Valley and supposed to, but the majority of the people who are not from Valley that's seen them doesn't agree. I know those rose colored glasses make it look better ;)

Valley has had about 6 winning jr high seasons in the last 25 years. This is going to be their 2nd losing season in 25 at the varsity level. My rose colored glasses have shown me that. I am going to say that Valley has about 3-4 wins over Minford at the jr. high level in that time. They have about 6-7 losses to Minford in that same time frame at the varsity level. Valley has never "been impressive" prior to high school. They have been beat on many times by Minford, West, and others at that level. Yet this is the first time we have not been successful at the varsity level. We are in a down cycle. We will be just fine.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

Sometimes things just don't seem fair. Valleys not that bad this year. Nine of the ten teams they play having winning records and three are 8-0 with Waverly coming in at 7-1. The only team they play with a loosing record is West and they're solid. Realistically West could be 6-2 with just a little favor from the football gods. :) Valley schedule is tough!

Valley has thrived lately with an exceptional class every few years that has carried average or below average classes around them. Last year group was amazing and I believe they were very successful in Jr. High. The kids in that group did more than just contribute when they were freshman and sophomores.

The problem Valley is having now is they don't have an exceptional class in grades 7 through 12. I'm hearing 6th grade may be that next class that is loaded?

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

Valley's drop off will not be long, even if the talent is not there. Coach Crabtree has had this as a losing season and one other time since 2001, that being in 2007 at 4-6. I would be very forgiving if a great staff happened to go 0-10 one season, especially if that same staff had went 124-42 in that same time span.

Voice of Reason
Riding the Bench

Post by Voice of Reason »

I see a lot of conflicting statements regarding why Valley is down, but the truth is everyone that has watched Valley football saw this coming. The juniors and seniors have just struggled athletically across the board. They struggled in JR high, they struggled in JV. They are lacking varsity experience before this season because they struggled to compete at a level that was acceptable for a team that was competing for a SOC and regional title. If experience was the reason for this season, the tide would have turned by week 8. The improvement is coming from the younger players. The sophomore group has some ability but they are the ones carrying the majority of the weight. Juniors like Ward, and seniors Greathouse and Riehl are playing as you would expect.

The junior high stuff has me a little confused though. I have a child in JR high and I watched every game, the 8th grade group was very solid. They lost 1 score games to NW and Wesd, with their best player being out of the lineup. And while Minford was the best team I saw this year, the 8th grade put up 30 on them. They struggled to stop Minford's offense. But the JR high groups have been very competitive the last 3 years, and many of those players are already getting varsity time. I don't know that Valley gets back to winning 10+ games for 5-6 straight years but they'll be back in playoff contention playing good football again in no time.

Voice of Reason
Riding the Bench

Post by Voice of Reason »

toast wrote:Sometimes things just don't seem fair. Valleys not that bad this year. Nine of the ten teams they play having winning records and three are 8-0 with Waverly coming in at 7-1. The only team they play with a loosing record is West and they're solid. Realistically West could be 6-2 with just a little favor from the football gods. :) Valley schedule is tough!

Valley has thrived lately with an exceptional class every few years that has carried average or below average classes around them. Last year group was amazing and I believe they were very successful in Jr. High. The kids in that group did more than just contribute when they were freshman and sophomores.

The problem Valley is having now is they don't have an exceptional class in grades 7 through 12. I'm hearing 6th grade may be that next class that is loaded?
I would mostly agree with this. I think the 8th grade group has a chance to have some special players after watching them a lot this year. The groups in grades 8-10 may not be the big time class but they will be competitive, where the junior and senior groups never competed. Valley has set the bar so high that just being competitive like other schools is a disappointment.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Crab's Brother wrote:
Bleeding Red wrote:

Valley has had about 6 winning jr high seasons in the last 25 years. This is going to be their 2nd losing season in 25 at the varsity level. My rose colored glasses have shown me that. I am going to say that Valley has about 3-4 wins over Minford at the jr. high level in that time. They have about 6-7 losses to Minford in that same time frame at the varsity level. Valley has never "been impressive" prior to high school. They have been beat on many times by Minford, West, and others at that level. Yet this is the first time we have not been successful at the varsity level. We are in a down cycle. We will be just fine.

Good to know. I'm glad Valley will be back to competing for conference titles in no time.

Carter
Riding the Bench

Post by Carter »

Pirates-48

Indians-0

lineman7
All Conference

Post by lineman7 »

Burg needs Valley to be competitive because right now they don't have many competitive games on their schedule (this isn't a knock on Burg's schedule, its just a phase where ironton/west/jackson are all performing under where they normally are and the rest of Burg's schedule is weaker). Burg-Valley games always have huge buildups and are usually entertaining. Having Valley being down only hurts Burg in every way (they lose a competitive game to get better, points, excitement, etc).

Burg will win this one big, and hopefully goes on to represent the SOC2 again the final 4

The Oaf
SEO

Post by The Oaf »

Izladoom wrote:People forget that most of valleys classes the last 6 years did not look good in jr high and barely won any games the talent is there the only way valley stays down is if Crabtree decides to retire and I don't see that happening until after his son graduates
What grade is junior in?

Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded! ~Lawrence M. Krauss
Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

The Oaf wrote:
Izladoom wrote:People forget that most of valleys classes the last 6 years did not look good in jr high and barely won any games the talent is there the only way valley stays down is if Crabtree decides to retire and I don't see that happening until after his son graduates
What grade is junior in?

His son is a sophomore offensive lineman that starts he's going to be a great player

Return to “Football”