Biggest Quarterbacks in Your School's History

SEOP12
Riding the Bench

Biggest Quarterbacks in Your School's History

Post by SEOP12 »

Dave Davis from Eastern of Meigs. Got any 300 pounders?

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Re: Biggest Quarterbacks in Your School's History

Post by Raider6309 »

Athens has both leagues covered

Joe Burrow Ohio State 2014 TVC

Grant Gregory Kansas State 2003 SEOAL

ma77ox
Varsity

Post by ma77ox »

Here is a little irony for Meigs Quarterbacks.

Bob Ashley (Coaches Portsmouth Notre Dame) 1982 graduate of Meigs High School, where he received a scholarship to the University of Utah as a quarterback. Bob transferred to West Virginia State where he was a 3-time All-Conference Player and a 3-time All-American Player.

Mike Chancey (Coaches Southern High School) 1986 graduate was All State First Team and went on to play at Ohio State

Mike Bartrum (Coaches Meigs) 1988 graduate 19-1 mark as a Quarterback, Then went onto Marshall and then NFL for 13 seasons.

I'd say Meigs had some talented QB's in the 80's.
Last edited by ma77ox on Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

People Have The Right To Their Opinion, And You Have The Right To Ignore It.
Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

For Oak Hill
Andy Elcess- threw for over 2,800 yards as a senior. Second team all-state. Played at Marshall for a year.

Jesse Slone- threw for nearly 7,500 yards in his career. As a junior, he threw for nearly 2,600 yards and 33 touchdowns with one interception (at Trimble). His senior year he threw for nearly 2,300 yards and had 33 touchdowns and 6 interceptions. Played at D-2 Findlay. Went 34-11 as the starting Quarterback

Eric Faye- great leader who went 37-3 as the starter. Threw 30 touchdowns and if I am not mistaken, 0 interceptions as a senior. Oak Hill went 10-0 his senior year but, regions only 4 teams back then. Notre Dame got the nod above them and only had 3 points scored on them all year, which was in the regional championship. Newark Catholic beat them 3-0.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Thought this topic was about biggest QB .....not best states

For Logan it might have been Robbie Johnson....(Y.A. Johnson)...LB/OSU

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

Best I've seen from burg were matt miller, juice schmidt, jonathan eaton and dusty chamberlin

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Jackson (in my memory)

Jared Humphreys
Joey Boggs
Hunter Sexton
Michael Morgan
Austin Osborn

That's the best of the last 30 years. Morgan the only one to be a QB in college. Backup at D2 power Ferris St in Michigan. He got very few snaps playing behind a stud QB who was redshirted and medical redshirted.

Humphreys and Sexton going D1 for baseball. Osborn a starting DB in college.

Boggs was so smooth. The game was in slow motion for him.

Jackson is a little welsh community blessed with 5'9 and 5'10 athletes....none of these guys were big. Biggest one maybe Geoff Mathews

TVC
Varsity

Post by TVC »

ma77ox wrote:Here is a little irony for Meigs Quarterbacks.

Bob Ashley (Coaches Portsmouth Notre Dame) 1982 graduate of Meigs High School, where he received a scholarship to the University of Utah as a quarterback. Bob transferred to West Virginia State where he was a 3-time All-Conference Player and a 3-time All-American Player.

Mike Chancey (Coaches Southern High School) 1986 graduate was All State First Team and went on to play at Ohio State

Mike Bartrum (Coaches Meigs) 1987 graduate 19-1 mark as a Quarterback, Then went onto Marshall and then NFL for 13 seasons.

I think Bartrum was 1988 graduate. Be hard to go 19-1 in only one season.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Mad-Dogg wrote:Best I've seen from burg were matt miller, juice schmidt, jonathan eaton and dusty chamberlin
That is a stout list, but I would have to go with Eaton, hands down. He had an unbelievable ball fake, threw very well and obviously he could run.

Maybe the best overall athlete to come out of Burg.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

Bleeding Red wrote:
Mad-Dogg wrote:Best I've seen from burg were matt miller, juice schmidt, jonathan eaton and dusty chamberlin
That is a stout list, but I would have to go with Eaton, hands down. He had an unbelievable ball fake, threw very well and obviously he could run.

Maybe the best overall athlete to come out of Burg.
jonathan was def a excellent qb.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
ma77ox
Varsity

Post by ma77ox »

TVC wrote:

Mike Bartrum (Coaches Meigs) 1987 graduate 19-1 mark as a Quarterback, Then went onto Marshall and then NFL for 13 seasons.

I think Bartrum was 1988 graduate. Be hard to go 19-1 in only one season.
yes, was a typo he was a year ahead of me.

george
Freshman Team

Post by george »

Like other schools Meigs had some other talented QB's but no talent to go with them

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Wouldn't Meigs best QB be Rod Gilkey. 1st team SEOAL QB at Gallia. Transferred to Meigs his senior year. He won Meigs only SEOAL title

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

For Jackson, I would say Roger Hyden, Class of '62. Was a 6'2 225 All-Ohio QB who signed a scholly from Woody Hayes at Ohio St., but before he went to Columbus, he signed a Cincinnati Reds pro contract ( he was an All- Ohio catcher as well).

Have gun, will travel
doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

Paladin wrote:For Jackson, I would say Roger Hyden, Class of '62. Was a 6'2 225 All-Ohio QB who signed a scholly from Woody Hayes at Ohio St., but before he went to Columbus, he signed a Cincinnati Reds pro contract ( he was an All- Ohio catcher as well).
Paladin, he was honored a couple years ago in a football banquet, article link below.

Interestingly enough he was only 12 for 30 in passing, but a brute of a runner apparently according to the article in The Telegram.

http://www.thetelegramnews.com/main.asp ... leID=13509

ma77ox
Varsity

Post by ma77ox »

Raider6309 wrote:Wouldn't Meigs best QB be Rod Gilkey. 1st team SEOAL QB at Gallia. Transferred to Meigs his senior year. He won Meigs only SEOAL title
In its first year of participation (1967) as the Marauders, Meigs won the SEOAL Football Championship with a 9-1 record. Their only loss that year was an 8-0 setback to powerhouse Ironton. The Marauders have won five total football championships. (1967, 1986, 1987, 1996, 1998) The 1986 team holds the distinction as being the only team in school history to complete a season undefeated at 10-0. Not sure who the QB was in 67.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

1967 Meigs

Rod Gilkey; 6-1, 180, Senior - Quarterback
Perry Kennedy; 5-11, 206, Senior - Tackle
Pat Story; 5-10, 174, Senior - Center
Bill Swan; 5-10, 157, Senior - End
Mark Tannehill; 6-1, 165, Senior - End
Lennie Van Meter; 5-9, 165, Senior - Fullback

george
Freshman Team

Post by george »

Raider6309 wrote:Wouldn't Meigs best QB be Rod Gilkey. 1st team SEOAL QB at Gallia. Transferred to Meigs his senior year. He won Meigs only SEOAL title
Meigs only scored 218 points @21.8 points a game plus he never passed that much but he did lead the offense the defense won the seoal giving up 50 points @5.0 a game both is per the entire year Don't know how many the offense gave up or how many the defense scored They score 50 points against Jackson and gave up 14 That might be this wks score but a different winner

george
Freshman Team

Post by george »

In the first 4 seasons against powerhouse Ironton Meigs was 2 - 1 - 1 ( not going to mention rest of the games they played) I think the best team was in 1970 season lead by Bob Werry lost 2 games by the total of 10 points ( had some key injuries but that's part of the game)

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

Ironton St Joe, 1955-56 Jim Mahlmeister , 100% passing accuracy...........

Return to “Football”