who should pull starters first?

wrestlefan
JV Team

who should pull starters first?

Post by wrestlefan »

the team up 30 or the team down 30
it stinks to pull starters and have the other team throw a bomb early fourth quarter and take away the running clock

svac83
SE

Re: who should pull starters first?

Post by svac83 »

i think the team up in game should pull starters first unless they have something they are still trying to work on. Team down 30 maybe need to keep them in to build confidence or to continue to get experience.

BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

The team that's up30. Obviously they have more to lose being the better team. An injury to a starter could be detrimental.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

That's easy the team up 30. Your reasoning was worrying about the running clock. Unless you have a kid playing you can get up and leave. It benefits the team up 30 that's how you get those younger players experience. They work their butts off going against the starters they deserve to see the field on Friday nights if the situation calls for it. Team down 30 has plenty to work on and typically you'll see them subbing backups in anyways

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Team up 30

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

the team up 30

AT THE RESERVATION
farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Depends on a lot of different things. First is putting some players in may be a big physical mismatch that could cause injuries. Also depends on if the schools have some bad blood. As well as when in the game. Like 30 points in the first quarter. The winning team should start subbing and/or moving some starters into different positions. Getting some second string players time with the first team. Preparing for future games or playoffs.

Good to get all players in the game. 30 points the coaches should have some idea going into the game. Also if the teams have JV games the next week may have something to do with how much time replacements get. Also injuries to certain positions may not have any depth.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

Def the team up 30. If your up by that much then it means your not only the better team but u have talent. Losing a player b/c u want to run the score up can be disaster

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
The Oaf
SEO

Post by The Oaf »

Up 30, 40, 50 whatever. I'd try to score every snap until the end of the game and destroy the other team like coach Meyer does!

Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded! ~Lawrence M. Krauss
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

BurgGrad6 wrote:The team that's up30. Obviously they have more to lose being the better team. An injury to a starter could be detrimental.

I totally agree here. especially in high school, with depth being an issue.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

The Oaf wrote:Up 30, 40, 50 whatever. I'd try to score every snap until the end of the game and destroy the other team like coach Meyer does!
also a great point by oaf. but in college you are forced to maul people especially in the top 5. to maintain your ranking, because such a premium is on the so called ''style points''. which I don't like at all. that's how you build teams by subbing. and also in college you have the Heisman situation which promotes leaving in the top athlete to pad stats. but could also blow up in your face with an injury. it was awesome getting to see burrow leading the bucks Saturday, and smart of urban to remove him. it's much more of a business in college than high school.in high school, it is just good sense to sub with leads, so playing time can get generated by non starters getting them game experience. and of course especially with teams our size in the south you have a depth issue.unlike the bigger inner city schools , or private ones.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

Team that is up. If the other team scores enough to drop it under 30, but them back in.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

If you are up 30 or more at the half let the first team play the first series of down on offense and the defense to go in on the second series of the team you are playing. If it goes under what you were leading at the half put the D back in. Showing the other team...if you are not going to play your reserves we won't either.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
wrestlefan
JV Team

Post by wrestlefan »

I think that once the running clock starts, it shouldnt be stopped. When you are up 30 and oull your starters, but the other team starts chucking fades against your little guys- do you put starters back in? I think no, you just have to chuckle and deal with it. At the same time, the running clock shouldnt be stopped

bfry
JV Team

Post by bfry »

Unfortunately, I've been on both sides of this. Neither are enjoyable. The team up 30 has the obligation to pull starters first. No other reason, for me, than to show tact and class. If the seconds and possibly thirds continue to score by running the football, then so be it. The difficulty comes when the superior team has low numbers. Only so many kids to sub in.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

The Oaf wrote:Up 30, 40, 50 whatever. I'd try to score every snap until the end of the game and destroy the other team like coach Meyer does!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Get up 50 and just throw deep posts and fly routes every play with the starters! Keep the home crowd in the game!

Good point Oaf!

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

My rule is simple:

Whoever leaves their players in can't whine after the game.

If you're up by a bunch but have a player get injured, you're not going to find sympathy.

On the other hand, if you're the losing team and you want the other team to "let up" or show "mercy," then it is equally on you to "concede" victory by pulling your starters.

Basically I think coaches can make a game by game decision on how to handle blow outs. But whatever the decision is, don't whine about "running up the score" OR players getting injured with a big lead.

mondayamqb
Freshman Team

Post by mondayamqb »

Whoever is up 30 - followed quickly by the team down 30 making subs. It's a combination.

Lindy
Riding the Bench

Post by Lindy »

Coach Huck and Fort Frye is always a class act with this. He subs quickly.

Thereddragin
Riding the Bench

Post by Thereddragin »

Lindy wrote:Coach Huck and Fort Frye is always a class act with this. He subs quickly.
He didn't tonight....

Return to “Football”