Wheelersburg 24 Waverly 13

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Re: WK7 Wheelersburg (6-0) @ Waverly (6-0)

Post by Mad-Dogg »

Couldn't ask for a better night. The burg goes to the jungle and leaves with a impressive win over a VERY impressive waverly team. To top it off coldwater h2o lost which means we should be number one in D5 come next week

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

Mad-Dogg wrote:Couldn't ask for a better night. The burg goes to the jungle and leaves with a impressive win over a VERY impressive waverly team. To top it off coldwater h2o lost which means we should be number one in D5 come next week
It was a great game. Rankings don't mean squat... We are a good team, but we are not the number one team in div. 5. Our run defense is soft.. We have a long way to go before we can play with a team like coldwater.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Sounded like a great game!

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Best game I have seen in a few years. Waverly was everything they were advertised. Very quick, very athletic, and a very solid team. They gave the Burg fits on both sides of the ball at times. The Pirates needed a game like this to see how they would react to adversity and I give them an A for the effort tonight. They bent but didn't break and both of the Tigers scores were one long runs. The only long sustained drive resulted in turning it over on downs inside the 15. Question for the Waverly folks, do you run the Pistol formation a lot? It seemed odd to me you would take it all the way down the field with your QB running the show and then suddenly switch to the Pistol inside the 10. The bad snap/fumbled snap cost them the game I think. I believe if they had scored there to go up by 3 they may have won. They would have had all the momentum on their side.

Congrats to the Pirates on the huge win. Good luck to Waverly in their next 3 regular season games and the playoffs.

By the way, that has to be one of the best improvements from one season to the next I have seen in a while. Burg won this game 56-3 last year and if just a couple of plays had went their way the Tigers could have won this one. Great job by the coaches and the kids on the big turnaround.

"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends"
Cpt. Obvious
JV Team

Post by Cpt. Obvious »

BurgGrad6 wrote:
Mad-Dogg wrote:Couldn't ask for a better night. The burg goes to the jungle and leaves with a impressive win over a VERY impressive waverly team. To top it off coldwater h2o lost which means we should be number one in D5 come next week
It was a great game. Rankings don't mean squat... We are a good team, but we are not the number one team in div. 5. Our run defense is soft.. We have a long way to go before we can play with a team like coldwater.
Gotta agree with ya obviously! Coldwater shouldn't even be mentioned unless Burg gets to play then again... if that happens then great!! Until that time let's just stay focused on this Burg team and the rest of their season....

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Great game by two great programs. This game could have easily been a Tiger's victory. Hats off to the Burg defense to hold on a 1st and goal. The bad snap did help on 2nd down but then Burg had a big sack on 3rd down to set up a long 4th and goal which Burg stopped them. They put together a nice drive to put the game away in the 4th.

This was a game that I think that both teams needed to get ready for the playoffs. Waverly is in a tough region but with that offense they can surprise some teams. Also, one of the quickest defenses I've seen in awhile.

Congrats Burg on taking one more step towards another gold SOC trophy ball.

Good luck Burg next week against Minford and good luck to Waverly the rest of the way.

bman
SEO

Re: Wheelersburg 24 Waverly 13

Post by bman »

Impressive effort by Waverly. Congrats to the Burg on the win.

The Nature Boy
JV Team

Post by The Nature Boy »

Glad Burg hung in there despite their miscues and won. Hopefully the next 3 weeks they clean it up. Play with better intensity and get the swagger of a champion going. No doubt they are good. My friends said I was nuts when I said Waverly was the real deal and it would be a challenge for Burg but everything went as advertised. Good luck to both the rest of the way. Region 19 should be fun to watch. Yes, Cold H2O lost but that doesn't mean a thing. Burg could have easily lost too. Go play Burg ball and win them all.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote:Best game I have seen in a few years. Waverly was everything they were advertised. Very quick, very athletic, and a very solid team. They gave the Burg fits on both sides of the ball at times. The Pirates needed a game like this to see how they would react to adversity and I give them an A for the effort tonight. They bent but didn't break and both of the Tigers scores were one long runs. The only long sustained drive resulted in turning it over on downs inside the 15. Question for the Waverly folks, do you run the Pistol formation a lot? It seemed odd to me you would take it all the way down the field with your QB running the show and then suddenly switch to the Pistol inside the 10. The bad snap/fumbled snap cost them the game I think. I believe if they had scored there to go up by 3 they may have won. They would have had all the momentum on their side.

Congrats to the Pirates on the huge win. Good luck to Waverly in their next 3 regular season games and the playoffs.

By the way, that has to be one of the best improvements from one season to the next I have seen in a while. Burg won this game 56-3 last year and if just a couple of plays had went their way the Tigers could have won this one. Great job by the coaches and the kids on the big turnaround.
Running out of the pistol at the 1/2 yard line is something they regret I'm sure but if they execute the play they run 100 times in practice it's a score. As heartbreaking as it was, EVERY player and coach must put it behind them and start preparing for West. They cannot dwell on "what could have been".

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

smurray wrote:
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote:I didn't get to see a game tonight. I had a surgery at adena this morning and had a hunk cut outta my left leg. then spent the rest of the day in the hospital with a sick mrs. bait. I got home at 10:24pm. but I was coming through Portsmouth right at the time this game was ending . picked it up at the interception at the end. by the time I got to Lucasville heading north on 23. it was wall to wall cars in both lanes from Lucasville all the way through downtown waverly on the way home. must have been a monster crowd. sounded like a barnburner. it was wall to wall head lights as far as you could see,
Easily the biggest crowd to ever watch a regular season game at Waverly. Standing room only all the way around the fence.
I would love to see a copy of this game. ironton won big over rock hill, and mrs. bait is still in the hospital. I caught the game right at the end when waverly was driving and then burg interecepted the pass.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Touching on my last post.

I thought there were to blown calls(Though I would like to have seen the I thought was blown again)

Overall I thought the refs were very good.
The crowd was big and at times very loud.
From my view there were a lot of respect and sportsmanship between the two teams out there.
This was my 37th game, including all-star games this season and believe me, the way the two teams showed themselves were very refreshing.

Good luck to both squads the next three weeks and into the playoffs.

Loved finally getting to see a game at this stadium.
The good.
Easy access(though another school paying to park stinks/I need to look into how one gets a permit to charge for parking )LOL.
Clean restrooms(Yes, this is important)LOL
The home side seating looked very nice, really high up
The bad
P.A. system one of the worse I have never heard
Paying for parking(Though it was easy in easy out)Shame on you dirty minded posters. LOL
Seating on the visitors side was not high enough up nor was there enough seats (For a game this large)

Overall I would recommend taking in a game there.

dontreply
Freshman Team

Post by dontreply »

A boat load of people standing last night , and a 30 minute wait to get through concesion lines

callie15
Varsity

Post by callie15 »

I'm a Burg fan and I feel we were one bad snap away from finishing second in the SOC..Waverly was very good and very well coached,

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote:Touching on my last post.

I thought there were to blown calls(Though I would like to have seen the I thought was blown again)

Overall I thought the refs were very good.
The crowd was big and at times very loud.
From my view there were a lot of respect and sportsmanship between the two teams out there.
This was my 37th game, including all-star games this season and believe me, the way the two teams showed themselves were very refreshing.

Good luck to both squads the next three weeks and into the playoffs.

Loved finally getting to see a game at this stadium.
The good.
Easy access(though another school paying to park stinks/I need to look into how one gets a permit to charge for parking )LOL.
Clean restrooms(Yes, this is important)LOL
The home side seating looked very nice, really high up
The bad
P.A. system one of the worse I have never heard
Paying for parking(Though it was easy in easy out)Shame on you dirty minded posters. LOL
Seating on the visitors side was not high enough up nor was there enough seats (For a game this large)

Overall I would recommend taking in a game there.
The PA was indeed distorted from a blown speaker I am told.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

callie15 wrote:I'm a Burg fan and I feel we were one bad snap away from finishing second in the SOC..Waverly was very good and very well coached,
Many Burg fans commented they aren't sure how they would have responded had Waverly punched that one in to take the lead.

Sport Fan
JV Team

Post by Sport Fan »

smurray wrote:
callie15 wrote:I'm a Burg fan and I feel we were one bad snap away from finishing second in the SOC..Waverly was very good and very well coached,
Many Burg fans commented they aren't sure how they would have responded had Waverly punched that one in to take the lead.

I wish Waverly would have scored to see how Burg would have responded, I think that would have been good for this team to come back and still win. I believe it would still be the same outcome, Waverly was not able to stop the run, that will be their problem going into playoffs.

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

I would also like to elaborate on the good sportsmanship. In a game with that much hype, that competative and in that atmosphere I didn't notice one time anyone running their mouths, cheap shots, no type of look at me type celebrations. Quite the opposite, both teams were helping their opponents up, slapping them on the helmet in a good way and it was just very refreshing to see a great ballgame played like that. The kids, coaches, parents and communities should all be proud of not only a great hard fought ball game but also the way those young men conducted themselves before, during and after the ballgame.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Sport Fan wrote:
smurray wrote:

I wish Waverly would have scored to see how Burg would have responded, I think that would have been good for this team to come back and still win. I believe it would still be the same outcome, Waverly was not able to stop the run, that will be their problem going into playoffs.
Agree. Coaches for burg knew they could go between the tackles. If there's a faster team than Waverly, I'd like to see them. They were super fast.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

dontreply wrote:A boat load of people standing last night , and a 30 minute wait to get through concesion lines
Played anywhere other than Jackson people would be standing. I don't know the attendance but it had to be close to the Wheelerbsurg Zane Trace playoff game last year.

Other than bringing in more equipment and setting up additional areas to sell food I don't know what Waverly would have done. They have two concession stands, one on each side and the brat tent. With that many people slamming the concessions during a 20 minute halftime there are going to be long lines. They may be able to do a couple things to alleviate some of it in the future.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Burg has long lines too. It's not McDonald's. lol.

Return to “Football”