Wheelersburgs Defense!

theburgtheword
Varsity

Re: Wheelersburgs Defense!

Post by theburgtheword »

The speed of this defense is great. I remember that Portsmouth game in 1974. What a great game!

Burg93
Freshman Team

Post by Burg93 »

The '92 defense would be the one I'd compare to this year. That was Larry Hall's first year as head coach and after their first game, they were impressive, especially vs PHS.

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote:The best defense ever from the Pirates would probably be the 1974 season. They had 7 shutouts and only gave up 19 points all year. 10-0 that year.

Waverly - 44-0
Wellston - 12-0
East - 62-0
Valley - 44-0
New Boston - 22-0
Notre Dame - 39-6
Minford - 32-0
West - 38-6
Northwest - 54-0
Portsmouth - 9-7

346-19 points for and against
1973 season, but the class of 1974. My Dad was on that team and I've heard about it my whole life. I must say, pretty cool stories about that team, and they're all still proud of what they accomplished. As it would have been interesting to see how far some of those 70's team would have gone, It's just too bad they couldn't get into the playoffs back then.

Now that the MInford game is over, good luck Pirates. I hope you guys win it all.

The best things in life: To Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!- Conan the Barbarian
cg-ironton fan
Freshman Team

Post by cg-ironton fan »

BurgGrad6 wrote:^^^ not getting out of it!!

where would this game take place burg/coldwater ?? Columbus ????

I mean it really Is a game to watch, I just cant do the burgfan.com thingy LOL, the Hartley/burg game in either 2014 or 2013 done me in for that site!! LOL

BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

Yes it would be at the shoe! For the state title. If burg makes it that far. We shall see how things play out.

cg-ironton fan
Freshman Team

Post by cg-ironton fan »

BurgGrad6 wrote:Yes it would be at the shoe! For the state title. If burg makes it that far. We shall see how things play out.
oh I thought it was a week 14 game LOL

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

I think that Burg and Coldwater would be projected to face each other in Week 14, but the OHSAA sometimes re-brackets for the state semis. Hopefully they set up a potential state title game between the two teams instead. I fully expect both teams to be there.

then what
Varsity

Post by then what »

1987 year had a great defense, It would be interesting to see those numbers. Anyone have them. They ran into a buzz saw with CAPE! Some of the kids on this years team has fathers that played on that team. TRADITION!

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

vladimir wrote:
Burg_Grad_77 wrote:The best defense ever from the Pirates would probably be the 1974 season. They had 7 shutouts and only gave up 19 points all year. 10-0 that year.

Waverly - 44-0
Wellston - 12-0
East - 62-0
Valley - 44-0
New Boston - 22-0
Notre Dame - 39-6
Minford - 32-0
West - 38-6
Northwest - 54-0
Portsmouth - 9-7

1973 season, but the class of 1974. My Dad was on that team and I've heard about it my whole life. I must say, pretty cool stories about that team, and they're all still proud of what they accomplished. As it would have been interesting to see how far some of those 70's team would have gone, It's just too bad they couldn't get into the playoffs back then.

Now that the MInford game is over, good luck Pirates. I hope you guys win it all.
Not according to the 1975 yearbook I have in my hand looking at it. That above is the 1974 season.

This is the 1973 season, in the 1974 yearbook which was my freshman year. Also 10-0 that year

South Point - 12-0
Wellston - 30-0
Valley - 49-7
New Boston - 34-0
Minford - 58-14
West - 44-0
Northwest - 33-7
East - 65-20
Portsmouth - 11-0

"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends"
Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

cg-ironton fan wrote:
BurgGrad6 wrote:^^^ not getting out of it!!

where would this game take place burg/coldwater ?? Columbus ????

I mean it really Is a game to watch, I just cant do the burgfan.com thingy LOL, the Hartley/burg game in either 2014 or 2013 done me in for that site!! LOL
They don't want guys like you listening anyway. Lol

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

ironman02 wrote:I think that Burg and Coldwater would be projected to face each other in Week 14, but the OHSAA sometimes re-brackets for the state semis. Hopefully they set up a potential state title game between the two teams instead. I fully expect both teams to be there.
Last year that's how the regions lined up.

BobSugar
Riding the Bench

Post by BobSugar »

P(irate) wrote:
ironman02 wrote:I think that Burg and Coldwater would be projected to face each other in Week 14, but the OHSAA sometimes re-brackets for the state semis. Hopefully they set up a potential state title game between the two teams instead. I fully expect both teams to be there.
Last year that's how the regions lined up.
The OHSAA will occasionally change the semis when they see an attractive matchup for the finals, but I don't see any other contenders in the other regions that they would bump the Burg for. I remember back in '02 when they re-bracketed trying to set up a Kenton/Ursuline final, only to have Portsmouth West spoil the party.

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote:
vladimir wrote:

Waverly - 44-0
Wellston - 12-0
East - 62-0
Valley - 44-0
New Boston - 22-0
Notre Dame - 39-6
Minford - 32-0
West - 38-6
Northwest - 54-0
Portsmouth - 9-7

Not according to the 1975 yearbook I have in my hand looking at it. That above is the 1974 season.

This is the 1973 season, in the 1974 yearbook which was my freshman year. Also 10-0 that year

South Point - 12-0
Wellston - 30-0
Valley - 49-7
New Boston - 34-0
Minford - 58-14
West - 44-0
Northwest - 33-7
East - 65-20
Portsmouth - 11-0
You're correct. I just remembered him saying Burg scored one 1 TD in the game in route to their first 10-0 season, but they were able to do it in 73 & 74. His Sr year was 73 season and graduating class of 1974. Thanks for the info on the scores!

The best things in life: To Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!- Conan the Barbarian
Pirate Nation
Waterboy

Post by Pirate Nation »

Burg is playing with a lot of fire and passion. One week at a time. Should be fun to watch as they keep getting better every week.

Tjhtygeverve
SE

Post by Tjhtygeverve »

I've been bringing coldH20 for a reason.
Based on following all of the scores, performances, & out comes on about 4-5 of the strongest teams in each region ALL year, if Burg sneaks out of the region, I think they'll head towards region 18.
The other two regions are far north central west or north central east.
Region 18 is closer & is made up of cincy, Dayton, & coldwater's area of the west central area.The way it's lined up the proximity makes more sense than going far NE OR NW.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

Tjhtygeverve wrote:

I've been bringing coldH20 for a reason.
Based on following all of the scores, performances, & out comes on about 4-5 of the strongest teams in each region ALL year, if Burg sneaks out of the region, I think they'll head towards region 18.
The other two regions are far north central west or north central east.
Region 18 is closer & is made up of cincy, Dayton, & coldwater's area of the west central area.The way it's lined up the proximity makes more sense than going far NE OR NW.
If Burg sneaks out of the region? I'm sure everyone will know they were there.

And you act like it's just Burg posters. :roll:

Return to “Football”