Fort Frye
Marietta
Warren
Monroe Central

Caldwell
Frontier
Shenandoah
Waterford

Yes Marietta and Warren would be much larger but it could build them up like Athens. Also most of the gates would be way bigger. The trips would be shorter. Warren and Marietta have already downgraded the schedule anyway. In Football you would play 5 league games a year all 3 in your div plus 2 crossover games with rotation.In basketball you would play div 2 twice and other side 1 time a year.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Re: What "IF"...

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

Raider6309 wrote:
noreply66 wrote:Would they have made the play offs in those days if playing in the OVC?
Never in that league. I wanna say they only took 1 per region up until 1980. I wanna say Ironton went 10-0 in 77 and 9-0 in 78 and didn't make the playoffs.
I know in 78 that was a teacher strike either at meigs or logan that caused that. I think cape passed us in an ap poll.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

1977 Bob Lutz 8-2-0

Ironton Opp
Russell KY (A) 14 23
Portsmouth (H) 20 8
Dayton Jefferson (H) 33 0
Meigs (A) 9 7
Logan (H) 14 21
Wellston (A) 40 6
Gallipolis (H) 24 0
Jackson (H) 28 0
Waverly (A) 35 14
Athens (A) 23 0
Totals 240 79

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

so they had 2 losses in 77 Russell and logan. I am pretty sure Russell won the state that year in ky. billy ray cyrus was on that team.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote:1977 Bob Lutz 8-2-0

Ironton Opp
Russell KY (A) 14 23
Portsmouth (H) 20 8
Meigs (A) 9 7
Logan (H) 14 21
Wellston (A) 40 6
Gallipolis (H) 24 0
Jackson (H) 28 0
Waverly (A) 35 14
Athens (A) 23 0
Totals 240 79
Logan got ya that year (77) Bait, in the Tank. :D I was there for that one. What a game!

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

1978 Bob Lutz 9-0-0

Ironton Opp
Ashland (H) 34 2
Portsmouth (A) 29 0
Washington Court House (A) 46 26
Athens (A) 35 0
Meigs (H) 35 20
Wellston (H) 36 7
Gallipolis (A) 36 8
Jackson (A) 41 8
Waverly (H) 66 14
Totals 358 85

here is the 78 team, this was my senior year. but I never played passed my sophomore year in 77. from a knee injury. but bob lutz has referred to this team as the best ever. they just were blowing good teams away.i see they had an open date as well. likely that's what cost them then. as they took a lot less teams back then. this was back in the 3 division days too, A,AA,AAA. with ironton being AA. the following year they upset ASVSM in akron to win the 1st of their 2 state titles

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

TRENCHFOOT wrote:
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote:1977 Bob Lutz 8-2-0

Ironton Opp
Russell KY (A) 14 23
Portsmouth (H) 20 8
Meigs (A) 9 7 Wellston (A) 40 6
Gallipolis (H) 24 0
Jackson (H) 28 0
Waverly (A) 35 14
Athens (A) 23 0
Totals 240 79
Logan got ya that year (77) Bait, in the Tank. :D I was there for that one. What a game!
Logan (H) 14 21
OH I REMEMBER IT WELL TRENCH.WHY IS THAT GAME NOT ON THERE. I MUST HAVE COPIED AND PASTED IT WRONG.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

1977 Bob Lutz 8-2-0

Ironton Opp
Russell KY (A) 14 23
Portsmouth (H) 20 8
Meigs (A) 9 7
Logan (H) 14 21
Wellston (A) 40 6
Gallipolis (H) 24 0
Jackson (H) 28 0
Waverly (A) 35 14
Athens (A) 23 0
Totals 240 79

HOW'S THAT.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

DON'T RIGHTLY KNOW HOW THAT HAPPENED TRENCH.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote:DON'T RIGHTLY KNOW HOW THAT HAPPENED TRENCH.
Logan went 10-0 that year. Had a very good team. Scott Gasser was the QB. Team was pretty well loaded. If the play off system was the way it is today, I believe that team would have done some good. Only 4 could get in back then. The game went to the wire in the Tank. Logan. if I remember right, did a hook and ladder type play close to the end to take the W. What a dandy game it was, I'll never forget it.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Dandy Don wrote:Once again a thread contaminated with tales of 30 year ago glory days.
What do you expect Mr. grouchy?!!!!!!!! It's a what if thread!! Get up on the wrong side of the bed with a hangover or what?

Dandy Don
All Conference

Post by Dandy Don »

TRENCHFOOT wrote:
Dandy Don wrote:Once again a thread contaminated with tales of 30 year ago glory days.
What do you expect Mr. grouchy?!!!!!!!! It's a what if thread!! Get up on the wrong side of the bed with a hangover or what?
Ok, ok Trench...I will play along lol

What if it were 1977 and everyone's teams were good again?

Well there is no internet in 1977 so we can actually tell each other about it :lol:

The struggle is real, some traditional programs are indeed suffering.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Dandy Don wrote:
TRENCHFOOT wrote:
Ok, ok Trench...I will play along lol

What if it were 1977 and everyone's teams were good again?

Well there is no internet in 1977 so we can actually tell each other about it :lol:

The struggle is real, some traditional programs are indeed suffering.
Hey, you can hop, skip and jump back to some real good Logan teams not to long ago. Teams get down, it happens. If you were there at the Tank back in 77, you would know why me and Bait are talking about it. Best game I've ever seen. It was a real Dandy, Dandy D.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

what if the 70's members of the SEOAL were still all intact. I loved that league, and the travel involved.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I think it was 77 trench that Ironton/logan tied in the SEOAL for the league title. because I remember our team coming up there for a league banquet. dang near 40 years ago. crazy ain't it.

BigChuck
JV Team

Post by BigChuck »

wchreidman wrote:What If

Chiilicothe
Wheelersburg
Jackson
Athens
Portsmouth
Miaimi Trace
Washington CH
Unioto

Were all in a Conference for football who wins it
sure as hell wouldn't be Unioto....lol

There's the BURG....then there's everyone else!
[img][/http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Xr29B08bBPw/T ... oll.jpgimg]
PopeSnoopDogThe1st
Varsity

Post by PopeSnoopDogThe1st »

What if, all the best athletes in Lawrence County decided to go to Ironton St Joe and restart the football program? They would still be no bigger than a d6 school. Just a crazy thought. I'm sure the same argument could be made for Ports Notre Dame.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote:I think it was 77 trench that Ironton/logan tied in the SEOAL for the league title. because I remember our team coming up there for a league banquet. dang near 40 years ago. crazy ain't it.
Yep, sure is Bait.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

What if Ohio could only pick 80 all Ohio players. 20 from each regional North, South, East and West. Now someone will say there will be a lot of talent pasted over. But you know that just hear say.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Cpt. Obvious
JV Team

Post by Cpt. Obvious »

frankie wrote:What if in 1977 ol' bait hadn't blown his knee out :?:
:o ...... The Cold War would still be cold! Paris Hilton wouldn't be a slut.. Reagan would of stayed in acting... The ripple effect from that one event :shock: limitless! Heck!! The bengals would of prolly won BOTH Super Bowls!!!! Lol ;) jk they would of still lost both of em :(

Return to “Football”