S

Re: Week 3 Northwest @ Huntington

Post by noles_fan »

Northwest needs this one bad!

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Sorry Northwest has lost quite a bit from last year. Huntington looking fairly solid this year. Huntington takes this one 14+

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Why is Northwest so far down in numbers vs. last year.

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Huntington wins this one. Talk to someone from NW today they have several kids out hurt. With already low numbers they are going to struggle the rest of the season.

noles_fan
S

Post by noles_fan »

mattash wrote:Why is Northwest so far down in numbers vs. last year.
I heard a rumor that the kids didn't like how strict the new coach is. Too many years of letting outside influences dictate who plays and who doesn't.

sportsfanscioto
Waterboy

Post by sportsfanscioto »

Northwest has 35 kids on their roster. That's only about 5 less than last year. They graduated about 15 seniors and have a freshman class that has fallen apart due to outside interference caused by their Jr high coach going to eastern. I was told earlier this week they have about 15 injured players right now. More than half of the injuries are starters. It's about time northwest hired a strict coach that doesn't allow the administration and community to tell him what to do. Hopefully the community and administration backs him and they can build some momentum. Northwest will be moving back to the SOC 2 in a couple years and if they don't start training their football team like other SOC 2 schools do they will be in for a world of hurt. Hopefully the Mohawks heal up and keep working hard. Two games in its not looking too good for them.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Thats good, was told they had 19 players.

Michael Scott
mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Huntington goes 2-1 on the year with a win here. 28-7

Michael Scott
Mailman
All Conference

Post by Mailman »

In the fall sports preview magazine I believe there is only 25 kids pictured for Northwest. Huntington by several touchdowns

sportsfanscioto
Waterboy

Post by sportsfanscioto »

The fall preview is done in early August and northwest kids have always had a bad habit of starting late. Hopefully this new staff can find a way of overcoming and changing that culture. But it's been that way for decades so I'm not holding my breath.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

So what happened to their previous coach? Seemed to have taken the program in the right direction over last couple years at least from a wins standpoint

Mailman
All Conference

Post by Mailman »

greygoose wrote:So what happened to their previous coach? Seemed to have taken the program in the right direction over last couple years at least from a wins standpoint
It wasn't anything the coach did. They moved to the small school SOC and played Div VII teams. Overwhelmed them with their sheer size.

bfry
JV Team

Post by bfry »

Very proud of our time at Northwest. Coach Montavon is a friend of mine and I think he's doing a great job and will continue to. Injuries can't be anticipated.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Mailman wrote:
greygoose wrote:So what happened to their previous coach? Seemed to have taken the program in the right direction over last couple years at least from a wins standpoint
It wasn't anything the coach did. They moved to the small school SOC and played Div VII teams. Overwhelmed them with their sheer size.
Interesting so by this statement, anyone could coach them then. They're 0-2 this year what's their outlook for the rest of the season??

Mailman
All Conference

Post by Mailman »

greygoose wrote:
Mailman wrote:
Interesting so by this statement, anyone could coach them then. They're 0-2 this year what's their outlook for the rest of the season??
What I think happened is they graduated a pretty good class. Then the new coach comes in and works them harder than they've ever been worked before. Kids or parents didn't like the way he was doing things so kids quit or didn't play and they've had some injuries. Now they have low numbers participating just like the small schools they play and they are going to struggle. Probably won't win a game at most maybe 3. But that's just a guess

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Huntsmen win big. Northwest will be alright if they give Coach Montavon time to get his program going.

Mailman
All Conference

Post by Mailman »

danicalifornia wrote:Huntsmen win big. Northwest will be alright if they give Coach Montavon time to get his program going.
I agree!! He knows what he's doing and he will work those boys hard and have them playing good hard nosed football if you give him a chance.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

I'm curious though, what happened to their coach?? I know they changed leagues so they'd do better and had a good group of seniors. However, I've never heard any reasons as to why he's not their any more. Did he quit or was he fired??

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Also with this new coach if kids are quitting and not taking a liking to the coach, how can anyone expect to win?? Need the players and players who can contribute, let's face it until they moved out of the SOC II they weren't exactly putting up quality records. That's not including league play as well, they weren't winning their out of conference games and losing all the conference games. This coach Montavon can work them as hard as he wants but until the players believe in his system and want to play for him Northwest will continue to struggle.

Return to “Football”