SEOPS

Re: Meigs @ Coal Grove - week one

Post by Bleeding Red »

Coal Grove should win, should be a good opening game for the Hornets

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

If we play like we did last year then we will lose, we need to come out in game one and show that we are for real and we are a force in the OVC and in the region this year, playoffs or nothing.

Of course I was watching a Charlie Weiss news conference last week and he said something that needs to be said about our Hornet team this year, he said,"I don't want to hear about how good we are, show me." Thats what we need to do, I am happy everyone thinks we are great, but I think our boys need to show how good they before we start talking about how good they are.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

Good point, 2_trap. Personally, I think Coal Grove SHOULD win this game by two touchdowns; from what I heard, they could have won last year's game and just played themselves out of it. And Meigs was a playoff team last year in DIV. This year, Meigs isn't supposed to be as good, but if they pass as much as people are saying they will and CG's pass defense hasn't gotten any better, the Hornets will be in some trouble. I know I sound like a broken record, but it's frustrating to watch.

Prediction:

Coal Grove - 27

Meigs - 22

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

Meigs will be as good if not better than last years team on offense. They will score points on anyone they play on their schedule.Now their defense might just be their downfall.This will be a good game providing Coal Grove can stop the passing attack of Meigs.The pass is not all Meigs can do they have a outstanding runningback in Smith ,not real big but very fast.
Im not trying to be smart ,but its been awhile since the Hornets have beaten the Marauders (not sure ).I have to pull for my TVC mates though.

Good Luck to Both teams and Good Health.

Meigscountyfootballfan
Waterboy

Post by Meigscountyfootballfan »

With Meigs and Coal Grove both being very talented neither fan base should go too crazy with any wild predictions. Meigs will bring an a rocket-armed QB (Wells) and lightening fast TB(Smith - TVC sprint champion) along with several other talented players.

How well Meigs comes together as a team, how hard they hit, and how well they execute will determine how good they will be. I am sure the same is being said about Coal Grove. Untimely turnovers, special team play, and first game jitters all must be managed by both teams or they will be costly and likely affect the outcome.

As Coal Grove knows from last year it is tough taking your team on a long road trip to a field they have never been to before. Coal Grove now has that home field advantage. Coal Grove played hard last year against Meigs and finished their year very strong helping Meigs reach the playoffs. I am expecting a great and hard-hitting game between two playoff caliber southeast Ohio football programs. Go Marauders!

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

Meigs wil win this game. I think they dictate the pace, and score too many points for the Hornets. They win by two scores in a 42-28 game.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Do they play each other every year? If so is it a pretty even series?

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

This is the 2nd consecutive year Coal Grove has played the Marauders. Meigs won last year, 19-7, I believe.
Before that, the two schools hadn't met since 1970, when Meigs thrashed the Hornets, 56-0, at Coal Grove; Coal Grove was 4-6 that year. In 1969, Meigs beat down Coal Grove, 56-24, at Meigs; the Hornets were 4-5-1 that year.

Meigs is 3-0 against Coal Grove. Does anyone know how Meigs ended up in '69 or '70?

All good posts in this thread, btw.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

fuzzhead wrote:This is the 2nd consecutive year Coal Grove has played the Marauders. Meigs won last year, 19-7, I believe.
Before that, the two schools hadn't met since 1970, when Meigs thrashed the Hornets, 56-0, at Coal Grove; Coal Grove was 4-6 that year. In 1969, Meigs beat down Coal Grove, 56-24, at Meigs; the Hornets were 4-5-1 that year.

Meigs is 3-0 against Coal Grove. Does anyone know how Meigs ended up in '69 or '70?

All good posts in this thread, btw.

Thanks for the info!!!

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

Hey, I do what I can! 8)

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

As an outsider looking in, I think this game is more important for Coal Grove to win and I will tell you why:

If they win they get alot of confidence, and with what should be a week 2 win against Paint Valley, they walk into back to back SOC II schools with Valley then Minford. I think Coal Grove gets by Valley, so they could really be walking tall going into the Minford game, which should be a really good one. They would be in great playoff shape at 8-2, especially if they go 9-1.

If they lose week 1, then I think the only thing that could cause this Coal Grove team to fall apart is themselves, if they lose discipline early in the year.

It will be a good test to see where Coal Grove is at this year, which most think will be a very solid team.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

All good points, BR.

Attitude/self-control will definitely be important. They cost the Grove big last year.

smash_mouth
Waterboy

Post by smash_mouth »

how is cg's passing game this year? I remember last year the quarter back would roll out, never throw it, and get sacked. If Meigs defense is as good as it was last year, they should win big.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

Well everyone I've been talking to is saying CG absolutely rolled over Vinton County yesterday. . . I couldn't be there, but I'm sure there'll be more than enough said about the CG/Ironton scrimmage this saturday.
Someone on another thread said the secondary looked pretty good, too.

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

I see this game being very close and most likely having the ending that the South Point game had last year for us, coming down to the last second in the 4th.

thirtytrap
Freshman Team

Post by thirtytrap »

Meigs will win this one 35-20.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

I was plumming the depths of the football forum and I dug up the thread from last year's Coal Grove/Meigs game. Enjoy. :lol:

http://www.southeasternohiopreps.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49289&start=0

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

Well CG has two scrimmages out of the way.

How about Meigs? How have they looked in their scrimmages?

buckeyeshots
Freshman Team

Post by buckeyeshots »

Photos from last night's jamboree between Ironton and Coal Grove are now online. Great game!!

Click here to get to them: http://www.buckeyeshots.com/football.html

Return to “Football”