The Wildest play call you have seen a H.S. Coach make?

boogerred
All State

Re: THE WILDEST PLAYCALL YOU HAVE SEEN A HS COACH MAKE?

Post by boogerred »

Once saw a kid fair catch a short punt and then the team got a free-kick opportunity right before halftime. The kid from John Glenn barely missed the field goal.

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

I saw that in an NFL game a few years back. That would be scary considering the legs on some NFL kickers.

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

I bet very few coaches know about the free kick after a fair catch rule.

The Riepo Man
All Conference

Post by The Riepo Man »

boogerred wrote:I bet very few coaches know about the free kick after a fair catch rule.

The Wheelersburg Pirates do!!!!!! You should have seen all of our faces as they attempted to explain that rule to us every year before the playoffs started.

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

That rule is the kind of rule that would probably get taken off the books if too many teams took advantage of it.

Attack
Freshman Team

Post by Attack »

i remember calling the mid-line QB follow on 4th and 10+ on our own 9 yardline at symmes valley one year. this was after 3 successive punt snaps had sailed over the punters head and into the endzone. people in the crowd were yelling to fire the dumba## calling the plays. about the time the dumba## part came out, our qb was streaking down the field for a 91 yard touchdown. which happened to be our only score of the game. :122246 later in the year we automaticed to fake punt run right, again on our own 9 yardline, when miller overloaded the left side of our offense in an attempt to block our punt. 6 points again. desperate plays by a desperate coach, but hey they worked. :122245

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

boogerred wrote:Once saw a kid fair catch a short punt and then the team got a free-kick opportunity right before halftime. The kid from John Glenn barely missed the field goal.

I've only seen it attempted once in my life. I believe Green tried it against St. Joe sometime in the early 80's. It was no good. Way no good.

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

XandOs wrote:
boogerred wrote:Once saw a kid fair catch a short punt and then the team got a free-kick opportunity right before halftime. The kid from John Glenn barely missed the field goal.

I've only seen it attempted once in my life. I believe Green tried it against St. Joe sometime in the early 80's. It was no good. Way no good.

Did you watch the Cardinals and Giants game this weekend? Whisenhunt tried it from 68 yards right before halftime. One advantage high school has is the use of the tee.

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

Surprising they couldn't use a kick-off tee. I know the NFL doesn't use a tee for XP and FG kicks, but in high school, they can use a kick-off tee for this play, boogerred. Hmmmmmm.

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

I am actually surprised it isn't done more often in high school.

You can also in the NFL (not sure about HSFB) extend the game by letting the ref know that you are going to fair catch a kick at the end of a game. If you do, you can try for the FG even if the clock has expired.

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

I just think it is hilarious that I started talking about the fair-catch kick on Friday, Nov. 21 and Whisenhunt tried it on Sunday, Nov.23.

Pretty cool, since I hadn't talked about that since 1998.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Halfback pass 3 times in a row

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
Burgfan/grad85
Freshman Team

Post by Burgfan/grad85 »

What about Burgs 4th and one play in OT against Eastwood in last year's title game. Carmichaels pass to Holden the Tim Tebow play I thought that was a real gutsy call from coach Woodward thank God it worked!

The Flush
Varsity

Re: The Wildest play call you have seen a H.S. Coach make?

Post by The Flush »

Waverly JV pulled off a perfect hook and ladder play at Oak Hill in the pouring rain this year. About 60 yards for the TD.

OSU22
Varsity

Post by OSU22 »

Burg's jump pass on 4th down in OT in the State Championship last year. My jaw literally hit the floor!

bfry
JV Team

Post by bfry »

Not running the "touchdown play" enough. Swear, had a parent say that.....guilty as charged. :shock:

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Coach calls time out after the running backs run to the wrong hole 3 times in a row with 4 mins to go in the fourth quarter. With his team up 8 points. It was 4th and 10 at the other teams 40. Coach comes out to rip his players in the huddle. While in the huddle he turns and points to number 78 of the other team. Telling him that is where his team would run the ball. Then telling the rest of that team to get ready because the ball would be run right at #78. Back in the huddle the the QB says I guess we are running the ball at #78. The team runs the ball at #78. When it is measured they came up about 4 inches short. Only to force a fumble and recover it. To then run the ball to run out the clock.

The first game that year that team ran QB sneak 8 straight times to end a game for the win.

OVC
JV Team

Post by OVC »

Kind of like what Michigan State did yesterday, but in his last game as head coach at Rock Hill, Todd Knipp called a time out while his team was on defense with over a minute left. Coal Grove was behind by 2(I think) and was driving. Todd had his team stand down and not go after the runner and let Coal Grove score a 15 yard touchdown so Rock Hill would have one last possession to win it. Almost worked too, Rock Hill got it to the Coal Grove 25, and had it not been for a controversial no call of pass interference, Rock Hill may have won that game.

Contemplating all life choices and loyalties…
efarns
S

Post by efarns »

Fort Frye hired an ex pee wee coach in the mid 2000's for high school. They ran crazy formations every series. It didn't work.

dilligaf
S

Post by dilligaf »

hp go for it on just about every 4th down regardless of where the ball was

Return to “Football”