kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Ironton's Bob Lutz - The Coach - Retires

Post by kantuckyII »

From The Ironton Tribune
End of an Era: Lutz retires as Ohio’s all-time victory leader
Published 4:18am Tuesday, January 17, 2012
A legend is calling it quits.

Ironton’s Bob Lutz — the all-time victory leader in Ohio high school football history — announced his retirement on Monday after 42 years as a head coach and 45 years overall.

“It’s time,” said Lutz. “I’ll be 69 in May. It’s time for the younger guys to take over.”

Lutz retired with a record of 381-91-5 for a career that spanned three years as the head coach at Ironton St. Joseph and 39 at Ironton. His record at St. Joseph was 20-8-1 and 361-83-4 at Ironton.

His teams at Ironton qualified for the postseason playoffs 28 times and his playoff record was 43-26. Lutz coached Ironton to state championships in 1979 (Class AA) and 1989 (Division III). He had six teams finish as state runners-up (1973, 1982, 1988, 1992, 1993, 1999) and 10 teams were state semifinalists.

“Bob Bruney got Ironton on the winning track but Bob Lutz took it to another level,” said Mike Burcham who served as an assistant to Lutz for all but one season. Burcham was also the athletic director who recommended the school board hire Lutz.

Burcham also said he was retiring from coaching.

Lutz said he appreciated all the support the program received from the people of Ironton and all the Fighting Tiger fans.

“I was fortunate to have a lot of good assistant coaches who worked hard and knew the game,” said Lutz. “I’m hoping those younger coaches will take the program and go with it. If they do, the program will be in good hands.”

Lutz said the list of people to thank was endless.

“Mike Burcham has been my right-hand man and I thank him for all his help.. But there were a lot of people involved throughout the years. It goes all the way to the Tiger Clan, the fans, the businesses that support us, the people behind the scenes like Sam and Penny Heighton, teachers, administrators, students, parents, doctors, managers, trainers, and especially all the players who worked hard to continue the tradition.”

Conflicts with administrators led Lutz to quit after the 2005 season but he admitted he still had a desire to coach.

Merrill Triplett — a former Ironton player for Lutz — coached in 2006 and guided Ironton to a 6-5 record and the school’s other playoff appearance.

Triplett left for Portsmouth West in 2007 and Lutz was asked to return.

Facing heavy graduation losses, Lutz coached Ironton to a 5-5 record and then guided Ironton to four straight winning seasons and four playoff berths.

“When I started coaching I always said that the best players would play,” said Lutz. “There were a lot of kids I really liked that I didn’t play because they weren’t as good as others.”

Lutz became the all-time wins leader when Ironton beat Nelsonville-York 32-12 on Oct. 23, 2009, at Tanks Memorial Stadium for victory 361. He passed former Hamilton Badin coach Terry Malone.

A 1961 graduate of St. Joseph, Lutz signed with Marshall University and was slated to start the in secondary as a freshman when a knee injury ended his playing career.

He was an assistant coach at Oak Hill for two seasons and then spent one year as an assistant at St. Joseph before taking over in 1969.

With five lettermen returning and picked last in the Ohio Valley Conference pre-season poll, Lutz guided the Flyers to the OVC championship. St. Joseph finished second the following season and earned a three-way share of the title in 1971.

Bruney left Ironton to coach his alma mater Martins Ferry and Ironton hired Larry Coyer. However, Coyer was hired as an assistant at Massillon the next day and left the Ironton position open once again. This time the board went with Burcham’s original recommendation and hired Lutz.

The rest is history.

Legendary history.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Ironton's Bob Lutz - The Coach - Retires

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

what an illustrious career. he's been turning boys into men since 1972.
no facial hair, hair can't touch ears, everybody looks the same, everybody gets treated the same. if you can play you will.
what a career.

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

End of an era in Tiger football. At least he got to go out on his own terms. Thank you Coach Lutz!!!

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

Who is crazy enough to want to follow The King? Merrill T. already tried that horse...

Let the feeding frenzy begin.

Buckeye-4-Life
JV Team

Post by Buckeye-4-Life »

The million dollar question now is who is next in line for this job??

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

Buckeye-4-Life wrote:The million dollar question now is who is next in line for this job??

Strong list of candidates available for the Head Coaching Position

Buckeye-4-Life
JV Team

Post by Buckeye-4-Life »

The thing that will be interesting to see is will all the people that have complained about Bob's basic styles of coaching and that there needs to be more complexity in the offense or defense schemes, will these same people except change that a person from the outside would bring or are they going to raise hell about that too. I remember when the last new guy came in a few years agao, he changed a few things and Ironton fans went nuts. Does anyone think this job will be opened up or will it be filled from within the current staff??

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

Mark Snyder comes home?

Boonedawg
S

Post by Boonedawg »

Expect nepotism to rule...it is Lawrence county.

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

Id say Mark Lutz would probably be given first shot at the job since he has been coaching there since about 92 I think.

tigergrad95
Waterboy

Post by tigergrad95 »

It is official, story in the ironton tribune, Bob Lutz and Mike Burcham are retiring. These two not only coached great football players, but made football players better men. I wish them both the best and hope they can enjoy time with their famiy that they deserve. These guys have put in a lot of time and sacrifice to do what they have done for so many years. I just wanted to thank these guys and wish them well.

dreamweaver
Varsity

Post by dreamweaver »

Ahh.Nepotism at its finest.Didn't Mark Lutz get first dibs on the job last time and wouldn't take it? Yes. Do you think if anyone besides a family member gets it all the coaches will quit AGAIN like they abandoned the players last time Bob quit? Sure. :oops: :roll: ;-) Ironton football can't handle change at all.

kevbk6222
JV Team

Post by kevbk6222 »

dreamweaver wrote:Ahh.Nepotism at its finest.Didn't Mark Lutz get first dibs on the job last time and wouldn't take it? Yes. Do you think if anyone besides a family member gets it all the coaches will quit AGAIN like they abandoned the players last time Bob quit? Sure. :oops: :roll: ;-) Ironton football can't handle change at all.
if the next coach is one of the current assistants i highly doubt he will be abandoned. as far as the nepotism comment, i dont think that is appropriate considering coach hammer is clearly qualified to take the job. if he wants the job, i dont think it is inappropriate for the school to offer it to him.

dreamweaver
Varsity

Post by dreamweaver »

My point exactly.Only help an inside guy, its not college ball. :razz: At least Bob is retiring this time with plenty of time till season starts! Hey I got nothin a
gainst lille Lutz takin it.

chillman
Waterboy

Post by chillman »

Channel 4 up here in columbus just ended their sports report talking about how 'a legend' in ohio high school football announced his retirement today. talking about his win totals, championship games etc. Cabot Rea even said he played against him in the 70's. and lost.

zebra77
Varsity

Post by zebra77 »

Congratulations on a stellar career, and may you find nothing but sunny days from here on. Also, thank you for making my son a believer in himself by teaching him the life lessons to get back up if your knocked down.
and to always believe you can do it if yougive enough effort and commitment.

thank you from a grateful parent

LoganElm_grad09
Varsity

Post by LoganElm_grad09 »

Congrats on the career Coach Lutz! The only time I've seen Ironton play was against county rival Westfall a few times, but his teams were always solid.

End of an area not only for Ironton, but southeastern Ohio as a whole.

CharlieHustle
All Conference

Post by CharlieHustle »

Coach Lutz's team always played hard-nosed, sound, fundamental football.....no trickery, or showiness, just good--I'm gonna hit you in the mouth-try to stop me football....I just wish Clifford would've taken notes after his many losses to Lutz -_-

on a mission
All Conference

Post by on a mission »

There aren't many who walk away on their terms. I'm thankful that my child had the opportunity to play for THE MEN,THE MYTHS,THE LEGENDS! As a tiger I think we ALL know we can't replace COACHES LUTZ,AND BURCHAM,but were ready for the next generation to carry the torch that they've kept lit for all these years! Tiger football is here to stay,because of the solid foundation these men have laid; To all the ney sayers DEAL WITH IT!

TigerTownKid
Varsity

Post by TigerTownKid »

I know Coach Lutz or Coach Burcham would never be caught dead on here reading all this.

BUT, from a former player, I would just like to thank both of these men for all of the things they did for me and the impact they had on my life. These two men didn't just make me good football players, but they made me a better person and built me into a man. I can never repay them for the lessons they taught me that I will carry on for the rest of my life.
Once again....Thanks for everything Coach Lutz and Burcham!

Return to “Football”